Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 9th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Meet my babies Buddy and Cleo

Name:  Buddy and Cleo_edited-2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  93.2 KB

Cleo is on the left and Buddy on the right.

We got them from what we thought was going to be a breeder however, it turned out to be a nasty puppy mill. They were both in bad shape but they have been such a joy. They are now 9 1/2 years old and have such a different character.

Buddy is laid back and my <little man< is just so endearing and highly protective of his sister. He is the one that has just been diagnosed with diabetes. Notice his ear, that was burned on a heater (is what the breeder told us) and she suggested we have the other cut to make it even

Cleo is our little buffoon, cute as a button and a little nurse. She can feel your every mood and is quite the character. Notice Cleo's ear, (mirror image of Buddy) and it has been down ever since we got them.

I know I am biaised but I think they are adorable and we just adore them and they pay us back in obedience and cuddles.
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

They are absolutely gorgeous! Such shiny coats! I look forward to seeing more of Cleo and Buddy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM

So beautiful!!!
I have to admit, I usually prefer bigger dogs over smaller ones, but these 2 are absolutely stunning!
There personalities sound a lot like my 2 boys - one is laid back and one is, well, a character to say the least.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,what silky,soft little sweethearts
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM

cute little muffins !
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a pair of super cuties

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Thank you all. Comments such as yours make a <parent< proud

I must confess that they had recently been bathed cause white dogs don't stay white for long.

We used to bathe them every month but it was really drying up Buddy's skin. Westies are 2-coat dogs but because Buddy had severe mange and was completely bald from the neck down to his tail when we got him, he lost his first coat so his skin is very delicate.

Yes, I do love my babies
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They are sweethearts, that's for sure, buddingartist! I love the floppy ears! So cute!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I love them! What are westies like in behaviour? Are they high strung? I miss having a little dog and so would love to have another one.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Doggie Wench

Your babies are absolutely beautiful ...and so lucky that you found them .
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Thank you all.
Tundra_Queen, when I read the many books to determine which breed of dogs would be most appropriate for us, I clearly remember reading that Westies do not like to be left alone and this is absolutely true.

We got them when we were slowly transitioning towards full retirement. I worked from home, doing on line training and consulting, and Buddy and Cleo quickly understood the >Mommy has to work, so you have to be quiet>. While I was on line, they would both sleep on the couch in front of my desk and the minute I turned off the desk lamp, two little heads would come up and of course, they got a treat for being good babies. They have developed to be <couch potatoes> up until about 2 in the afternoon and the only interruption is their morning walk around 10:30am.

We are both in our 60's, are both calm and gentle, have a quiet house, other than having the TV on most of the time (if we are not watching, it is on CNN) and somehow they love that.

If you work outside of the house, that may not be a good breed for you.
We noticed that when we go out for dinner or something, Cleo just cuddles up on the couch with Buddy for reassurance.

Westies will do anything to please their master(s). Yell at a Westie and they become very stubborn and will completely ignore you.

My husband worked really hard to socialize them with children of all ages and with dogs of all sizes. They are now just so very good with our 16-month old granddaughter.

They get 2 walks daily and they will let you know when it is time, (except if it is pouring rain) cause they hate that. When we moved here, hubby used to take them to the beach once a week but now, they can't handle that. They both are getting old and both have luxated patellas (and Cleo's had hip surgery).

As for chewing, never had a problem. We had computer wires hanging everywhere and the only thing they went after was the corner of a shelf in my office and I took care of that by gently spraying them with water and vinegar (they don't like that smell).

They are extremely affectionate, love to cuddle, they take over our king size bed, they own the house and we just pay the bills.

Westies was definitely the right breed for us and I am happy I did all the reading and research before going out and getting a dog.

Hope this gives you an idea of the Westies.

Cheers
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
One dog at a time...

How adorable!

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Buddy and Cleo are just gorgeous. They certainly look like they could get themselves into some trouble!!