Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you give your dog treats?

I've always wondered about this...with all the news stories about the obese pet epidemic (and obese/overweight humans too) I wonder why people feel they must give their dogs treats? Is it marketing? Substituting food for exercise or attention?
A recent study by Purina just found that keeping dogs lean increased longevity significantly...not that this should be news to anyone:
http://www.dogchow.com/Content/index...ntContentID=14

I work in a lot of different homes, and I swear at least half the dogs I see are fat, waddling things who can't tolerate much exercise. And most have owners who really love their dogs and are smart people! So why on earth would a loving owner compromise their dog's health and quality of life by allowing them to be fat? (I think the same thing about parents and human children, but that's OT.)

My dogs have to "work" (at the very least, they must sit and take nice) for treats. Mostly I just use them for training. No way do my dogs get unecessary food stuffed in their faces just for looking cute, or hungry, or whatever. I do NOT want fat dogs, I think that sometimes borders on cruelty, or neglect or something...

Help me out here. Why do so many people who really care for their animals let them get so fat? Why do so many people feel the need to give their dogs so much food because they "feel sorry" for them?

It just ain't right.