Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Kitten Question

Hi everyone...i'm new here because i'm a bit concerned about the kitten I just got.
A friend of mine adopted a kitten a week ago and when her landlord found out, he made her get rid of the kitten. She asked if I would be interested in taking her and so I did. According to the paperwork from adoption the kitten was given her shots, was spayed and micro-chipped on 7/2/08 and recieved her rabies vaccine on 9/6/08, the day of adoption. It says she was dewormed as well. Well she was dropped off to me today and while she was laying on me I noticed something small and white on her anus, looked like a piece of rice. I immediately grabbed a tissue and wiped it and when I inspected the tissue it moved, giving me the indication that it was a worm of some sort. I thought hmm, its only one and the paper says she was dewormed so I didn't think much of it. Later on in the night, she was playing on the couch and I saw the same thing.
I am definitely calling the place that she was adopted from to find out about this but figured I would come here and ask about this. If she had been dewormed on 7/2/08, can she still have worms?
Thanks for your help.
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hi and welcome to the forum, yup she could and sounds like she does have worms, it usually takes more than one treatment, contact a vet, they will want a stool sample. It's nothing that can't be fixed really quickly. Oh and thanks for giving this little one a home.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Aslan's right. Tapeworms. It's very easy for a cat to be reinfected. Especially if it was only treated once.
Please don't treat with an over the counter medication from a pet store or department store. They won't work and could very well cause harm to your pet. They just are not safe. Take kitty in to see a vet or at the very least take in a stool sample. Again, as aslan stated.
FYI - tell your friend to check the landlord/tenant act re pet ownership.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Thanks for replying. I am a huge animal lover and just couldn't allow my friend to get rid of the kitten to another shelter. I personally think that she wasn't allowed to have any pets and she snuck and got caught. I'll never know though, don't think she'd admit to it.
The kennel card that my friend gave me that has the kittens info on it says that if the pet is adopted from their organization that the pet is eligible for 30 days pre-paid health insurance. I'm hoping that this covers her because as right now money is really tight. Its not something I am going to let go though and I wouldn't feel comfy buying something over the counter. If anything I would call the local pet store that has a clinic in it and see about just buying the medicine without a visit. I don't know if they do that though. SIGH! I haven't seen her use the litter box yet since she has been here but she did eat some food so she may be going soon to get a sample. I just don't want her infecting my other cat. Never a dull moment.

Thank you both for the welcome
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:46 AM
~Cat Servent~

Everyone covered the worms... but I'd also like to mention that depending on where you live, there are rights for tenants that include their pets. Like here it is illegal for a landlord to include a 'no pets' clause in a lease and if they do it is meaningless even if you sign it.... and they cannot evict you for having pets unless they are causing provable harm or damage to the other tenants or the premises. She should have looked into that first before being bullied by the landlord.

Oh and thanks for taking the kitten in!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Everyone covered the worms... but I'd also like to mention that depending on where you live, there are rights for tenants that include their pets. Like here it is illegal for a landlord to include a 'no pets' clause in a lease and if they do it is meaningless even if you sign it.... and they cannot evict you for having pets unless they are causing provable harm or damage to the other tenants or the premises. She should have looked into that first before being bullied by the landlord.

Oh and thanks for taking the kitten in!

I did mention to check the act but not knowing where poster lives it's kinda hard to know. If she's in the States the laws may be different.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM

I usually don't bother with the fecal sample. Testing the fecal sample 15 to 20 bucks. Dewormer 6 bucks for 2 doses. I just call the Vet and ask for 2 doses of dewormer and save the cost of the fecal testing and an office visit.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:37 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hazmat, most vet clinics wont prescribe for an animal they have never seen. Crap i can't remember the name of the site frenchy uses, it's like petmeds.com, but in austrailia, it's much cheaper too.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

That sounds just like a tapeworm...looks like little sesame seeds coming out of their butt? Well mine both were treated for that as kittens and it is pretty common. Except I had to take mine in for a needle? as I understand it you need something different for a tapeworm then regular dewormer?? I could be wrong though! I am sure someone can confirm this for you!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jasper had tapeworm this last summer and he and my others were given Drontal (sp?) a pill; Snowball was giving injections for his tapeworm.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Drontal cost me 12 bucks per pill

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Drontal cost me 12 bucks per pill
That's what I used on the kitties when they were pilled L4H. Multiply the 12 bucks x 2 dosings x 14 (at the time).

Old September 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Hey everyone...thanks so much for all your replies and suggestions. I called PAWS this morning and explained the situation. I gave all the info that I had and how I wound up with the kitten. Since she was officially adopted out last week to the girl I got her from, she is covered for 21 days under a pre-paid medical program so they told me to bring her in and she will be given medicine for the worms. I'm so relieved. I wanted to take her in today but I just now got the rest of her paper work from the girl I got the kitten from and my kids get done school at 3 so I wasn't able to take her today. I called PAWS back and explained my concern and the woman asked me how many I saw since i've had her. When I told her that I only saw 2, she said as long as my kitten doesn't get the runs or swell up or get sick that she will be fine and to bring her in first thing Monday morning. So i'm a bit relieved but won't be fully until I actually get her seen.
I'll definitely keep you posted and thanks again for everything
~Gina
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM

UGH! I hate worm! They are soooo yucky! Patrón had worms when he was little... and after they deworm them and the worms start to die, all the worms start to come...out... UGH! It was awful!
And then I got sick not to long afterwards, and my doc thought IIII had worms...turned out I had Salmonella... not much better... anyways!
Glad you're able to keep the kitten and get him all fixed up!
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM

help to kitten proof your home

hello...
thank you for bringing the kitten in to your life...
I also adopted a kitten recently but have two older cats to contend with as well as non-kitten proof house...
if it is not the screened door or jumping into the bigger houseplants...her own personal jungle....I am laying out small feasts of baby Gerber chicken food for all three to purr over...and dine together.
her kitten energy does frighten my timid stray of 16 years...and when she does run through the house and leap at my earrings from the floor, why she even can get me going...
I am moving pottery and plants when I am not online...
and if you want specific tips on certain plants let me know I can direct you a list of toxic houseplants eg spiderplant...(and oh how they dangled...til she came)
weena
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by weena View Post
hello...
I am moving pottery and plants when I am not online...
and if you want specific tips on certain plants let me know I can direct you a list of toxic houseplants eg spiderplant...(and oh how they dangled...til she came)
weena
Actually... spider plant is one of the plants that is NOT toxic to cats. Yes, it may cause vomiting and diahhrea but it is not life threatening like lilies or delphinium.
This site gives you a list of plants that are safe to have in your home around cats.

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants-non-toxic.html

This site gives a list of both good and bad plants.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-catplants.htm