Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Red face What should I do?-- making indoor dog "go" on schedule

I plan on moving out of my house to an apartment, and since that might not have a backyard I'd like to get my big dog,Dus on a poo schedule. I'm also looking for a typical 9-5 job so that's why I'd like her on a poo schedule. Id like her to go twice a day max. Right now her big a** ( I say that with love), still uses the paper, so she's use to doing her bizz whenever, and she's been use to that for 3 years. What steps do I need to take to get her geared to a life of mandatory outside pottying? How often should I feed her?I usually feed her in the morning(leaving whatever leftovers), and feed her at night. She's about 60 lbs, and more of a inside dog. Is it possible to get her on a once a day poo schedule, because I've heard people do that? Is it fair? I should have a few months before I get the hell on out of my mom's house so that should give her some time. Please help.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Let me make sure I"m understanding this..you have a 60lb dog who eliminates in the house??? Wow..

Since she's been allowed to do this for 3 years, you may have trouble teaching it is now NOT okay to do this and she will be, of course, very confused.

Feed her twice a day, morning and at dinnertime. Do not leave any food out for her. Make sure you give her a very good quality food, since good food = less poop. My dog eats Wellness, and usually goes once a day, but sometimes twice, about 10 hours apart.

Take her out in the morning on a leash, and start using a word as a signal for her to "go". Any words will do - "hurry up" or "go play" or whatever. Use the word when she starts to go, then praise her like crazy.

Take up all the papers, clean the spots she went with something like Nature's Miracle, and take her outside often during the day, always praising or even giving a treat when she does her business. If you see her looking for a place to go in the house, just say "ah ah!" to get her attention, then outside right away.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Performance Spaniels

I had a 20 pound dog litterbox trained for about 4 months. When we moved, I had to teach to go outside. It was a giant hassle. We had accidents inside, because she had been allowed to go inside. So poop on the carpet where the litterbox had been..

You may need to use a crate to get better bladder/ rectal control. If the dog has been able to go at will, it will need to be taught to hold it for a more 'normal' amount of time.

Lot of people's dog's poop after each feeding. It is up to your dog's system how this will go. You can't 'make' the dog go once a day unless you feed once a day, and even then it may not fully get the dog on a one poop only schedual.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

My dog "goes" when he needs to - just as people do. I do understand your problem, but if someone told you that you had to restrict your bowel movements to 2 a day at specific times, trust me, it wouldn't happen.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I don't understand how he stays fit being in the house all day.
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Long Term Member

my question exactly... and I think you are not giving your dog enough time outside... from the sounds of it.
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love: