Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 29th, 2003, 08:12 PM

Can dogs sprain ankles?

I got a 5 month old Rott/Chow mix at a rescue pet store. I think he has a sprained or sore right front ankle/wrist? There is nothing wrong with his paw. He can gallop around, but at a walk or trot he tries to keep weight off it. I'm giving him glucosamine and the best (Nutro) food that also has glucosamine. Today is the second time I thought he was getting better, but then he jumped out of the back of our truck and is now limping a little again. When I ran my hands down his leg, he growled when I squeezed the ankle. I've heard of lots of possible joint problems, and at first I thought it was a pulled muscle - but I had not thought of a sprained ankle. Is this unlikely or not? Is there anything to do besides try to keep him from jumping around. He hates to jump down or go down stairs anyway. Sorry this is so confusing, but I've been confused for 3 weeks about all the possibilities.
Old March 30th, 2003, 02:09 AM

I think it is likely that the ankle could be sprained or even fractured.

It may need a cast.

He should be seen by a vet to be sure.

He should DEFINITELY not be allowed to jump from a truck or jump at all until you figure out what it is.

Herman
Old April 2nd, 2003, 09:28 PM

Well, now I'm thinking that it is one of those juvenile joint problems that large breeds can get. He was not limping in the house today, but when I took him for a hike in a cold wind (our elevation is 7,000 feet - cold) this evening, he was stepping gingerly again, mainly favoring the LEFT front leg (It was the RIGHT leg before).

Come to think of it, last Saturday he was fine the entire day on an outing in warm weather, but didn't start limping until he was out in the cold evening air. Maybe it was not from jumping out of the truck. (Although I'm sure that didn't help).

I'm going to watch closer to see how the limp reacts to weather changes, and keep giving him glucosamine for the joints and the best nutrition possible. If it is this type of joint problem, I've read that a vet can do nothing and that they usually get better when they stop growing so fast.

I wish I could hear from someone who has experienced this before. I love this dog and want to enjoy many outdoor adventures with him. He loves to go, but I hate to see him in pain, even if it is relatively minor.