Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Female house finch

Name:  House finch 5-12-11 A.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  44.4 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Male Cape May warbler

Name:  Cape May warbler 5-13-11 B.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  87.4 KB

and his Mrs.

Name:  Cape May warbler 5-14-11 B.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  82.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Chipping sparrow

Name:  Chipping sparrow 5-12-11 C.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  Chipping sparrow 5-14-11 A.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  78.3 KB

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Male goldfinch

Name:  American goldfinch 5-14-11 A.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  50.9 KB

and his ladylove

Name:  American goldfinch 5-12-11 E.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  44.4 KB

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Male eastern towhee

Name:  Eastern towhee 5-14-11 B.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  106.5 KB

Female eastern towhee

Name:  Eastern towhee 5-14-11 A.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  108.0 KB

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

More of Mr Pink, the leucistic purple finch:

Name:  Leucistic purple finch 5-14-11 E.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  Leucistic purple finch 5-14-11 G.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  Leucistic purple finch 5-14-11 N.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  55.1 KB

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And a normally-pigmented male purple finch for comparison

Name:  Purple finch 5-14-11 A.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  66.3 KB

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Red-bellied woodpecker at the suet feeder

Name:  Red-bellied woodpecker 5-14-11 B.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  52.4 KB

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ruby-throated hummingbird, male first, then fem

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 5-17-11 C.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 5-17-11 D.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  48.7 KB

Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Doggie Wench

Hazel, I love the Warblers best although all your photos are fantastic! Uncle Red is here with his wife and they freaked over the pics of your Hummingbirds.

I was out planting more Sunflowers and this little guy kept me company . Correct me if I'm wrong but, a White Crowned Sparrow?

Name:  WCS.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  100.5 KB

And DH finally got one of my bird feeders up ....although it's 9' high and I need to use a ladder to fill it . Still, I'm really excited . The sunflowers are all planted to the left of it, near the wagon.

Name:  Bird feeder.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  122.8 KB
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hazel...Love all your birds. Your pictures truly bring out their beauty especially the hummers, Mr. Pinky, Gold Finches and oh....all of them!

LP; while I cannot see the sunflowers planted to the left or near the wagon, I do see a little black blop sittin' right dab smack in the middle of the picture! Is that pretty Penny?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
LP; while I cannot see the sunflowers planted to the left or near the wagon...
I should have said the sunflower seeds I planted .

Quote:
...I do see a little black blop sittin' right dab smack in the middle of the picture! Is that pretty Penny?
It is. She was all mopey that we didn't put the new feeder on the other side of the fence for her amusement . Which reminds me, we have a Robin's nest in the woodshed in the backyard. I have to keep a close eye on when the babies hatch so that we can take the the dogs out on leash for a few days while they learn to fly.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

You're so lucky, LP! Definitely a white-crowned sparrow! And so nice of him to keep you company! I saw one pair fleetingly the day before yesterday and none since. One of my absolute favoritest sparrows.

Poor Penny...she just wants to watch the birdies, too

Are you still just seeing a couple of Todds, klm? Ours are starting to gather. Still lots of orioles, too!

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Poor Penny...she just wants to watch the birdies, too
Uh huh, she'd much prefer to watch them up close and personal .

I was up til 3am on the site you gave me a link to... http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search.aspx . I love all the info there. Gave me some ideas on shrubs/trees/vines I can plant in the birds' area to provide them with a variety of other food sources. And also left me with a zillion questions....that I won't all post here, I promise .

Just one...virginia creeper...is it invasive? Is it a good idea to plant it so it grows up a couple of trees?
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hmmmmm....don't know about the Virginia Creeper, LP! But generally, if it has the word "creeper" in the name, I tend to avoid the plant altogether.

Oh, whoopsee...I just checked it in Wikipedia. I didn't realize that was the name of it... We have Virginia Creeper all over here...and it is definitely invasive!!! If you don't have it in your area, don't introduce it I spend most of my early gardening ripping out the stuff I missed from late gardening the fall before It will grow thickly enough to strangle evergreens

Old May 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and we banded Mr Pink today! He's so handsome!

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Are you still just seeing a couple of Todds, klm? Ours are starting to gather. Still lots of orioles, too!
Yep, still only two Todds.

I set up another identical feeder at the back of my yard on Saturday with a hanging pot of annual flowers. Do you know if hummers like Fuchsia?

I planted a Fuchsia along with alysum and lobelia in the hanging pot near the new feeder. When I went to the garden centre and spotted the Fuchsia, the little taggy thing showed a picture of a nice trumpeted flower in full bloom.

I'm hoping these flowers will keep my two Todds around a while longer and hopefully attract more.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:06 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Oh, and we banded Mr Pink today! He's so handsome!
Oh Wow! How did you manage that? Did you get close up pictures? Is his o.k. with the banding? So is Mr. Pinky really a rare species of the finch family? That's pretty kewl!

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Oh Wow! How did you manage that? Did you get close up pictures? Is his o.k. with the banding? So is Mr. Pinky really a rare species of the finch family? That's pretty kewl!
Well, it did take a little discussion before they decided for sure that Mr Pink was a leucistic purple finch. So now I don't feel so stupid that it took me that long to decide what the heck he was! He was fine as of this morning when I saw him back at the feeders...along with a bunch of grosbeaks. I was a little surprised that he was banded--there were a lot of people milling about in the basement yard and he's usually a little shy around people. But he came to the feeders and flew into the nets despite the crowds.

We caught and banded 64 grosbeaks yesterday--no recaptures, and none of the ones we caught were banded elsewhere. And there were more to be caught, but they don't band past about 11:30 a.m.. Have I mentioned recently that we have a lot or rose-breasted grosbeaks?

If it's a dark pink and flamboyant enough, the hummers will like your fuschia. Even if they don't care to drink from the fuschia, the color will attract them. They really like impatiens, too--especially red ones. Impatiens has a large nectary for that size bloom and red is always an attractant for Todds.

We released 9 hummers from the nets yesterday, too (they aren't licensed to band them and they're so small I'd be scared to let them ). The hummingbirds were putting on a show about 30 feet from the patio where everyone was sitting, watching for birds to hit the nets. People were almost more impressed with the numbers of hummers than with the fact that we banded 116 birds in total...

Old May 25th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Hazel those are very nice, clear shots of the different birds. Beautiful.
Well done on the banding. I hope you guys get to see some of your banded birds return, it would nice to know for sure when a bird makes it through the winter instead of just guessing.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

LP,we have a Virginia creeper covering the back of the house,also under our Blue Spruce and up the trunk of it.
Virginia Creeper is ok,if you take care and trim it,it's also growing on top of our pergola.
I also have one of those White Crowned Sparrows here,they're nice..

Hazel,do you belong to a Birding-Group??
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Actually, no, chico. But the nature reserve had a 2010 fund-raiser where you could bid on a banding opportunity and I made the high bid. I hope I can convince them to come back next spring and see how many of the birds we banded yesterday came back.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:15 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
If it's a dark pink and flamboyant enough, the hummers will like your fuschia. Even if they don't care to drink from the fuschia, the color will attract them.

I planted a Dollar Princess Fuchsia and from what I've read up on, these are Hummer magnets!

They really like impatiens, too--especially red ones. Impatiens has a large nectary for that size bloom and red is always an attractant for Todds.

Oh goody! I also planted red and white impatiens all around my house. I've always planted red and white impatiens in the gardens but never seen hummers around them in the past.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:18 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Actually, no, chico. But the nature reserve had a 2010 fund-raiser where you could bid on a banding opportunity and I made the high bid. I hope I can convince them to come back next spring and see how many of the birds we banded yesterday came back.
You would think that the banding crew would be interested in coming back for a follow up in a years time.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Do you know if hummers like Fuchsia?
I know they like Honeysuckle, I was at my uncles' farm on the weekend & the Ruby Throated males were very active at the Honeysuckle. I didn't get any pics from there but with a bit of time & patience did get some from the feeder. I quietly stood a couple feet away from the feeder & waited, as well as a couple of females, there were a couple of males sparring mid-air.

Name:  HummerF.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  49.1 KB Name:  HummerM.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  44.3 KB

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Oh goody! I also planted red and white impatiens all around my house. I've always planted red and white impatiens in the gardens but never seen hummers around them in the past.
Maybe that's why there are only two going to your feeders--the rest are dining at the Impatiens Cafe!

Quote:
You would think that the banding crew would be interested in coming back for a follow up in a years time.
Well, we're kind of in the next county, so it's sort of a long haul for them. Now that I've bribed them out here once, though, I think they're hoping they can get back another time.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nice pics, gGK!!! What kind of hummer is that male? He looks so rusty!! Anna's? Um...Rufous? Um.... The only kind we have here is the ruby-throated. You're fortunate to have a little variety out there!

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM
You can call me DOG!

Honeysuckle eh Growler? I'll have to keep that in mind.

Those are beautiful close ups.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
What kind of hummer is that male? He looks so rusty!! Anna's? Um...Rufous? Um....
Not a clue

I only caught glimpses of the Ruby Throated Male through the window & heard him buzzing over my head when walking past the honeysuckle.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Maybe that's why there are only two going to your feeders--the rest are dining at the Impatiens Cafe!

Maybe I don't see them cause I'm so focused on watching the feeders that they're in my front yard sucking on the red impatiens!

Well, we're kind of in the next county, so it's sort of a long haul for them. Now that I've bribed them out here once, though, I think they're hoping they can get back another time.
And all the grosbeaks will be perched in a row, waiting for their band identifications!