Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Chronic ear infection..

Kato, (my rottiboy) has yet another ear infection :sad: Seriously I am at my wits end with this.
My vet has put him on various antibiotics over the past couple years, and while there is usually a small improvement it's usually short lived.
We have changed his diet many times over the years, being sure to avoid ingredients which could increase the chance of ear infections such as beetroot.
I clean his ears and put in his drops twice a day every day, and each and every time I take out lots of this tar like substance. When he shakes his head, sometimes big globs of this crap comes flying out.
I have taken him to a different vet for a second opinion, and his opinon was to put him on the same antibiotics my vet has tried over and over.
I don't know what to do anymore. If you even reach out and he thinks you are going to touch his ears he yelps and flinches. My heart breaks for him, because I've done everything my vet has told me to do and this keeps reoccurring over and over and over.
Has anyone else here have or had a dog with chronic ear infections? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this to stop? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.