Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

My 4 year old shih tzu jumping suddenly as if in pain

About 45 minutes ago Cooper was lying down on the sofa and he jumped up suddenly as if he'd been poked with a pin. He moved down the sofa, walked in a circle and laid down again. A couple minutes later he jumped up and moved again.

This has happend about 5 or 6 times. He'll be sitting or lying down and then suddenly move as if he felt a pain and wants to get comfortable. He's eating fine and he peed and pooped on his walk aroun 7:45. It's now 9:51. We took him out again a few minutes ago and he peed and when he came in we tossed him his favorite hard treat to chase the way he likes. He chased it and ate it but he's still not himself.

I called the vet about 10 minutes ago but he hasn't called back yet. He's been perfectly fine with the exception of not having pooped on Tuesday but he was back to his normal routine on Wednesday.

Any ideas??
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

The vet called back and we have a appointment at 9:00 tomorrow. He suggested his anal glands are bothering him but I don't think that's it. Once in a while his anals will "go off" and we have to wash his tushie but they've never gotten impacted or anything. Then again, there's a first for everything and we haven't had them go off for quite a while.

I'm a nervous wreck and you can bet I won't be sleeping tonight !
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
-

He's not yelping so it might just be a muscle spasm ?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Frenchy !! THANK YOU for responding so quickly. I've poked him and gently squeezed him and no yelping or crying. He's a bit of a baby and cries easily if he's hurt so it seems that it IS something intermittent like a spasm. Maybe gas?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
-

Maybe gas too ... now I order you to get a good night sleep and not worry so much , I'm sure this is nothing

it sounds more like a discomfort than pain.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Really Frenchy? Thank you! I've been so nervous and it makes me feel better to hear you say discomfort. At least he sleeps in my bed so it's easy to check on him in the night.
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I found a scab on the front of his neck, but part of it was off and the skin was raw. I don't know if it was a bite or if he got nicked last week at the groomer. (I really love his groomer, she's gentle with him, so I would be really surprised if that was it. And she didn't go really short.) But he was trying to scratch so when I saw that was what he was scratching I would distract him every time he tried. I gave him a small dose of benadryl and it seemed to help him settle down and get a little rest for the first half of the night.

We're off to the vet now.

Thanks Frenchy. You're the BEST !!!