Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:08 AM

BIG DOG Troubles - Crate or Not to Crate

PLEASE HELP!!

I rescued two bullmastiffs in October, they are 8 months now and growing at an amazing rate. I don't like keeping them cooped up in their crate all day while my husband and I work. But if I do not they chew EVERYTHING and anything and poop and pee in the house. They are house trained and we don't keep them in the crate over night and there is never any accidents or distruction. PLEASE what am I doing wrong, I don't know how to correct this behaviour.

any suggestion will be very helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with not keeping a growing dog, or any dog, in a crate all day. Can you try pens or a gated room? You'd need two pens or rooms of course. At least they could move around a bit more. I imagine you will need very sturdy pens. Or gates.

Other options other folks use is doggy day care, a friend to come in and walk them and at least let them out in the yard for a bit, or a professional dog walker.

Are they siblings? Regardless, at the same young age they are they should be doing things separately so they do not bond too closely to each other and not to you. One goes to DDC one day and the other the next day? As well as pens or gates? They should be going to separate dog classes too, accordings to other sibling puppy wisdom I've read.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM

Thank you for your suggestions, but what shoiuld i do about the chewing everything and pooping in the house when we are not around??
We train them seperately and they are sibblings. They are obideant as long as we are around. they are still puppies tho maybe they are just testing us.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

When we penned or gated the floor was pee and poopable vinyl and easily cleaned. A pen would be best I guess as some dogs will chew the walls. We penned in our kitchen and had no damage. Imagine that, a Lab who doesn't chew. We were lucky.

I really, really am against crating to force a young puppy to hold on but yours are of an age where they should have the control needed by now. I realize you are attempting to potty train and can't since you have to work. Darn work, cramps all our style. So if you did have to crate till they learned control I'd recommend the DDC and a friend to come in and walk them. More than once a day.

Given their ages I think that would be good even if you used a pen or gates but you could cut down the outings once they've learned the potty. Though Bullmastiffs are not as active puppies as Labs are, I thinK? I have a Lab. The BM across the street, RIP Mocha, sure could not keep up to my Lab.

OH crap, better not call them BM when we are talking potty. BMtiff?

AND, we'd like to see some photos. Please? The BMtiff on my street was also a rescue and the most gentle, loving, wonderful dog you could imagine. OUr whole street mourned when she went too young, age 7, of cancer.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM

I know what your going through. Here is some advice I would like to pass on to you; Your instincts are right it is not fair to crate large animals for long periods of time. Personally we transformed a portion of the basement into a kennel. I used chain link fence supplies on a wooden base. Its about 8x10ft and tall enough to keep a doberman pinscer secure. Keep in mind also that you have puppies. Dogs shouldn't be left out on their own until they have not had an accident in the house for 2 or more months (this period may vary w/ opinion). Working dogs are notorious for deystroying things. This is because they have a high drive, just being house pets often builds this frustration. Training must be engaging to the mind of the dog. You may have to spend more time tiring these dogs out. Another piece of advice is this; I don't know if they are both males, but if they are please don't ever leave them alone together (regarless of the fact they are litter mates). When male dogs peak in adolescents they tend to not tolerate each other all the time. If you leave them together (especially because they are the same breed) they may fight and you will not be there to separate them. One of your dogs could become seriously injured or worse. Please just take this point away if no others.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM

Amazing advice. I think Im going to try the basement kennel. . . They are male and female. Both fixed.!! I try to get them as much excerise as possibel. At least 3 walks a day plus everyday we take them to a dog park to make "friends". I am very lucky that they are friendly because they can be intimidating to strangers and young children. ... I'm just looking forward to the accident and damage free days. They are my babies and just want the best for them. Please see attached picture of Tucker (left) and Charlie ( right). Im a new user... not sure if it will work please let me know.

Attached Images

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Your picture worked fine it seems. Tucker and Charlie are fabulous! I love love love big doggies. Charlie is an interesting name for a girl - how did that come about? And kudo's to Tucker for covering up his boy parts in the picture . See now I don't find them intimidating, I'd be the one coming down the street begging you to let me pet them and give them cookies. It's funny how with large dogs people assume we're going to our dogs eat them if they get too close...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:47 PM

They look deceivingly innocent in this picture. Im sorry if I may have came off wierd about leaving them together (just a rule my breeder lives by). I bet they are no where to be found when they deystroy something...and they probably have that look on their faces (you know, the constipated owl). Like "Oh where did that come from, I didn't do that, geez..." They look like gorgeous dogs, best of luck, the basement kennel saved our sanity. We keep our younger male in it, and he seems happier than he would be in a kennel. They will stop deystroying things eventually