Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old December 17th, 2004, 12:19 AM
banned user

Bugsy & I think Shyla is so Purdy. Allright, we may be a little bias when it comes to Neapolitan Mastiffs. Awww.... Peaches is jealous now

Shyla gets our ~ Cutie Patootie Award ~
Attached Images

Old December 17th, 2004, 01:30 AM
banned user

Mastifflover close your eyes... "are you thinking what I'm thinking...?"
Old December 17th, 2004, 03:26 AM

About my post..........

My comments were not directed towards Shyla`s current situation, they were just general. I just don`t understand why the breeder wasn`t contacted about the situation. Is she in the original owners home ( the one`s who got her from the breeder) ? Sorry, I am a bit confused as to who got the dog from the breeder when she was old enough to leave her mother.

I can only imagine the heartbreak they are going through, I am a big sucker for Mastiffs and it would kill me if I ever had to be without my girl. I know that part of the contract I have with my Dogue`s breeder clearly states that if, for any reason, we can no longer give her a home, she is to be returned to the breeder.
Can you please help me sort out where Shyla came from originally? I am sorry if my comments were taken personally, they were not intended to be directed at her present owners.
I truly hope they can find her the home they want for her, that is a very hard decision and one I would never want to have to make.
Just one more question............ why can`t she stay in the present owner`s home? Maybe I am missing something here...........
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

breeder, etc

It is at the discretion of the current owner, who is the one who purchased Shyla in the first place to make the decision as to return her or not to the breeder. I did not question this during the dog's evaluation. Nor did I question what type of breeder she was purchased from. I merely asked where the breeder was located. It was very clear that what was wanted was a very good home for her, one which the current owner would have the opportunity to meet. The reasons for Shyla needing a new home are personal and will remain that way. Perhaps the owner did advertise her for sale in the area, I did not ask. I did ask if she was adopted out shortly before I went to evaluate her as someone on a site I frequent just purchased a clone of Shyla in Montreal. It seemed so coincidental but turned out to not be Shyla.

As for the second dog, Little Angels, there is a breeder who was setup in St. Constant, and has now moved his operations to a Kennel front operation with a business manager. He is a puppymill and breeds a ton of different dogs and advertises them for sale on chienchien and leuleu. He also advertised for his kennel operator on those sites. He uses a cell number and meets potential purchasers at a second location. He was originally contacted when he had the mastiffs advertised as he initially was offering free to a good home and we all know what that means. Perhaps this is one of his dogs, I can only guess as I do not go out looking for advertised dogs, the owner's contact us. As member's of the Watchdog Committee are very active in that area, perhaps you can inquire with them? I believe you have the numbers.
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:18 AM
banned user

I'm having a hard time understanding some of the posts in this thread. Shyla's mother was very skittish about working with rescues/shelters at the onset of this thread. She has since agreed to work with a rescue. This should be a good thing. Suddenly we have posts concerning her judgement and comments about dumping and temperment issues. Now can someone please clarify how all this negativity is going to help this dog..... Anyone?
Old December 17th, 2004, 06:52 AM
banned user

Smile

If you could pass on the cell number that you have for this guy in St. Constant that would be great! Maybe it is worth checking out.

If these are two different dogs of the same age, colour, sex etc. This breeder could be very upset if not notified. I will try and check further into the flyers that I have seen. If the dog that you saw on another site was also in Montreal and of the same breed, age, colour, sex as your little girl. There may be three of them in this situation now.

Once we had a dog where the breeder found out that the original owner had given up their dog and is in a big serious court battle right now. As their contract is quite clear on these issues and they are legally set up for any breaching of their contracts. As they have a long waiting list of people that they would prefer to place the dogs with. They are very very picky on where their dogs go, at the very beginning and in the future life of their dogs. I can not blame them though, as our contract also states that we should be contacted at any time if the situation of our animal changes and that the animal be returned to us.

The good part is that the new owner contacted the breeder and all was accepted for them to be the new owner and were presented with a welcoming gift and all files were transfered over to the new family. Home visits were done and all is well.
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Mastiff advertisement

Little Angels: I believe that the Mastiff advertisement you have seen is the one in the vet's office in Lasalle?

As for the puppymiller, we are watching for his advertisements. He only ever leaves a cell number. We appreciate the offer to help but will continue with this one quietly.

We will leave it to the discretion of Shyla's owners as to advising where she purchased her or not.

In the meantime, some of us need to get back to the task at hand, finding homes for the multitude of animals that need us. As most know, this year has been an odd one for animals being homeless prior to the holidays. One can only wonder what it will be like as a result after the holidays. :sad:
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:10 AM
banned user

Will do

As for the puppy miller, I had sent the information to the Watchdog committee as you had recommended. I will ask her to contact you regarding checking this guy out.

She can track down just about anybody
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

no problem

I'll go through the files and pull up his number. I seem to remember his name being Alain or Andre. I'll forward it to you in the next few days.
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Homes for animals

I was just wondering............ how far away can the new homes be for the animals you guys are talking about? It is so discouraging and so disheartning to know that you guys have so many dogs needing homes and I am at least 2 provinces away( in most cases).
I know of some excellent homes here where I live and I know for certain, that dogs placed in those homes would be "forever pets" and yet I have to sit and watch helplessly here. :sad:
My hope for Shyla and her situation is that a home like the ones I know of here can be found for her by her current owners. I cannot believe that there are so many of those beautiful giants out there who are searching for homes.......... how I need a ranch!!!

If my post offended anyone I apologize. It is so hard to express yourself with just typed words. My comment about getting in touch with Shyla`s original breeder was only stated because of the contract I have with my dog`s breeder............ I was just curious as to whether or not they had one.
IF she comes from the same miller as the other dogs mentioned in these posts then I would not expect her to be returned.

Maybe because I am soooo protective and proud of my mastiff, I come across as negative to anyone who has one and isn`t keeping theirs. Like I said in my original post........... we sometimes get dealt a real crappy hand in life and do what we have to do................ I believe that is what has happened to the people in Shyla`s present position and my heart goes out to them.......... even the thought of a day without my dogue is too difficult to imagine, I won`t even try to understand how they feel.

I sure hope you guys close enough can help them in their search and that the story has a happy ending. I wish there was more I could do.
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Doguelover

Thanks for the reply. They are lovely dogs and I have always been attracted to the gentle giants. No offense was taken, I know that you love your dog and it's a good thing to worry about another. Quebec is the worst province for animals being discarded so we see many of the gentle giants needing help. Shyla is fortunate in that she has a family who loves her and will do all possible to make sure her next one is the same. Let's hope some of the others turn out that way too!
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogueLover

My comment about getting in touch with Shyla`s original breeder was only stated because of the contract I have with my dog`s breeder............ I was just curious as to whether or not they had one.
IF she comes from the same miller as the other dogs mentioned in these posts then I would not expect her to be returned.

This is why I also asked if the breeder was contacted.
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I also spoke to Gorilla and she really does care about what happens to this beauty and if I had the room I would not even think twice about taking her she is beautiful.
I agree with you 100% Lucky when will people do some research about the breeds they want. Giant breeds and especially drool monsters are not for everyone it is something that some people get grossed out by and they do this there whole lives well except when they are pups. We are fairly lucky here in Ontario the reputable breeders of Neo's are very stringent about where there dogs go. BMD I also suggest if you do not find a home in Quebec if you would like contact me and I will put you in touch with a really great lady who is a breeder and also assists in rescues of these beautiful dogs. She was very helpful when I had Boo and also in shutting down Jenn's so called rescue.Bugsy I am trying not to look at her she makes my heart melt
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

There are many good people here in Quebec who do adopt dogs and cats and give them wonderful homes.

I wish I could say there are many good breeders, but there are not. MANY people here, and I would say the majority, know nothing of mills and bybers and see nothing wrong with buying puppies at petstores or from byb newspaper ads.

There are very few rescues here, and most of them will NOT take Dobies, GSDs, pit bulls, Rotties and certainly not Neo Mastiffs,(no matter how wonderful their temperaments are) so to you who will I say THANK YOU!!!!!

It's very sad to see dogs rescues with breed predjudice like this.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

That is awful that they discriminate against breeds.
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

it happens

Some rescues determine a dog's adoptability by the breed, others do not. In some cases, they state insurance as the reason behind excluding certain breeds. Breed specific rescues are important to that breed and the knowledge they have of it. The only comment I can make is that the rescues that do not decline a dog based on it's breeding are few and far between in Quebec. It's a pity as the dogs they exclude are some of the greatest dogs we've met. Other rescues will tell you the same. The only way to educate the public is through example and excluding a dog due to breed does not help in the education process, rather hinder it. All we can ask is that rescues consider this when rejecting a breed specific dog.
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The only way to educate the public is through example and excluding a dog due to breed does not help in the education process, rather hinder it.
Some of the most wonderful dogs I've known have been Dobies and pit bulls, and some of the worst have been of breeds happily accepted by rescue.

To the average person, knowing that even dog-loving rescues will not accept them is devastating to these breeds, and further "proof" of their dangerousness.

Pretty hard to argue when even rescues go by "Judge the breed and not the deed".
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Has shyla found a home yet?
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

?

We will not be introducing Shyla to anyone prior to January so that she may spend a quiet holiday with her current family. We have already received calls and emails on her though
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Good call. We don't want her to be a christmas casualty for the Oh I want a dog crowd then 2 months later she is too big, I don't have time for her.
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM
doglover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla
Hi,
Please help us. We currently own a beautiful blue Neo (11 months). She is beautiful. Unfortunately, life has some unexpected changes for us which forces us to have to find a good (very good home) for her. This parting is breaking us up.

private message me with your telephone number
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM
doglover

response to bmdluver

Quote:
Hi,
Please help us. We currently own a beautiful blue Neo (11 months). She is beautiful. Unfortunately, life has some unexpected changes for us which forces us to have to find a good (very good home) for her. This parting is breaking us up.

Old December 29th, 2004, 12:09 PM
banned user

Bill... the dog Gorilla is referring to is up for adoption through Foxy's Canine Companions. You can contact them here... by filling out the adoption questionaire. www.foxyscaninecompanions.ca
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

why?

Why in God's name would I private message a complete stranger with my phone number? Sorry but I can't even begin to understand that request.
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the request for the telephone no. was directed at "gorilla".
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM

I have only one concern/question

I asked this earlier and have yet to get an answer.......... why a Neo Mastiff??
The final comment about everyone wanting one really bugs me because if this is the reason for getting one then it is one of the worst I have heard.
Any mastiff owner can tell you that they are not a dog for just anyone.......... and probably would do better with an experienced owner, even their size can be a determining factor as to whether or not the owner can handle them.
Could someone please tell me if it has been determined as to why a NEO?

I am just concerned that this dog will be a "fad" and that there has not been enough research done on this breed to fully understand what the owner is getting into.

I know that Shyla is up for adoption and that she has even been mentioned to this person, I just wonder if I missed something somewhere.
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Maybe be wrong but....

response to bmdluver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Hi,

The second one did say response to bmdluver so I thought it was directed to me? Maybe wrong, lol
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Looking for a Neo!

Hi! I'm looking for a Neapolitan Mastiff puppy, but i cant find a breeder near me! Does anyone know a breeder in California? Near Monterey county? I also can’t spend more than $1,200. Can anyone help?!
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

For reputable breeders, you can contact the Southwestern Neo Club

Neos seem to be the "dog du Jour" in California and there are lots of them in rescue - even puppies like Vladimir a 7 month old whose owner allowed her older dog to attack constantly, then wanted to kill him rather than pay vet bills.

YOu can see this dog and a bunch of others at
Operation Canine Rescue
and
Canine Rescue Coalition
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:48 PM

Talking

Thanks Lucky!