Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM

is my siberian husky puppy sick?

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while. You guys are an awesome resource.

I bought a siberian husky last week sunday. She's about 9 weeks now. I took her to the vet and had her checked out and everything was ok. She got her shots.

One thing that concerns me is that she poops 4-5 times a day and it's very soft almost like liquid unlike other dogs.

I feed her nutrience derma only.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM

We held off from feeding her last night. She had a meal in the afternoon. Fed her early this morning and the poop wasn't as soft, it was more solid this morning.

Could it be the brand of food? I was feeding her Nutrience Derma. She is 9 weeks old.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Did your vet ask for a stool sample?? if not I would bring one in and have it tested to be sure that he does not need deworming. that would be my first step.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
Did your vet ask for a stool sample?? if not I would bring one in and have it tested to be sure that he does not need deworming. that would be my first step.
She has been dewormed already. I'll talk to the vet later today.

Thanks for the input!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Doggie Wench

Nutrience Derma is a food for dogs who normally have allergies? It's recommended on their site for dogs 1+ years with skin coat problems. Is there a reason you're feeding this brand of dog food to your puppy?
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Nutrience Derma is a food for dogs who normally have allergies? It's recommended on their site for dogs 1+ years with skin coat problems. Is there a reason you're feeding this brand of dog food to your puppy?
that's what PJs gave me and said they fed it to their sib husky puppy. WTF I'M SO MAD NOW!!!
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

for purchasing a dog from a petstore........

FYI, this dog has never eaten the food they gave you in it's lifetime..... it's the hagen product they flog....... a dietary change is most likely causing loose poops....... take this pup to a vet and have it properly checked........ a petstore vet is not going to bother much with what the pup got, nor is a puppymill or broker that most likely did the vaccine and worming.......

This is not meant to bash the OP but to rather get the point across that all and I mean all pet stores should be shut down.......... no selling live creatures of any type! How does this happen........ do not buy from anywhere that does........ not even a dog biscuit....... do not buy period!
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
for purchasing a dog from a petstore........

FYI, this dog has never eaten the food they gave you in it's lifetime..... it's the hagen product they flog....... a dietary change is most likely causing loose poops....... take this pup to a vet and have it properly checked........ a petstore vet is not going to bother much with what the pup got, nor is a puppymill or broker that most likely did the vaccine and worming.......

This is not meant to bash the OP but to rather get the point across that all and I mean all pet stores should be shut down.......... no selling live creatures of any type! How does this happen........ do not buy from anywhere that does........ not even a dog biscuit....... do not buy period!
Oh I didn't buy her from PJs. I had to pick up food really fast for her since the breeder asked if I could pick her up and it was all last minute. I didn't have time to go shopping elsewhere.

I don't like PJs. That was out of desperation since I didn't know any other places.

Is Nutrience Derma ok for her? I'm going to buy some good food tomorrow from a pet nutritionist tomorrow, but I don't want to change her diet right away. I'll do slowly take out the Nutrience.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'm a softy

but what was the breeder feeding her? Changing drastically to the food you are now feeding could have caused it. Pick a good puppy food not some corn/wheat/soy/crap for your pup, feed regular, and then you will be able to set your scheduale on her poops it will be so regular! small firm easy to pick up poops...
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
but what was the breeder feeding her? Changing drastically to the food you are now feeding could have caused it. Pick a good puppy food not some corn/wheat/soy/crap for your pup, feed regular, and then you will be able to set your scheduale on her poops it will be so regular! small firm easy to pick up poops...
They were feeding her hamburger meat.

Could the alergy dog food have any effect on her for the future?
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
-

The breeders were only feeding her hamburger meat? That is certainly not a balanced meal and any reputable breeder would know that.

The Nutrience Derma is for adult dogs and you should be feeding your puppy a puppy formula until it is fully grown. Also, that brand has lots of poor ingredients so I would not feed it at all.

A good website to check out is www.dogfoodproject.com and click on the links on the left hand side of the page. Another website www.dogaware.com also has great information.

I have a siberian husky that is eating Orijen and they make a puppy formula (www.championpetfood.com). A lot of members here are feeding it and would recommend it as well.

You will only find the better quality brands at a local independent pet food store although I believe Global Pet and Ryan's also them as well.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm a softy

hamburger meat?? huh?? Thats it? OYE! uhmm ok.. yeah then a pup is going to have a hard time adjusting to kibble. I would pick a good food ( I give a thumbs u for orijen too! I can get it at a store here in nowhere manitoba called best west, so you should be able to find it) and then I would mix...oye.. mix hamburger meat into it, slowly reducing the amount of hamburger meat until she adjusts to the kibble.

If you stop feeding her the allergy food I doubt it will have any lasting effect on her. If you were continue feeding it there could be a possibility that she would eventually not have enough vitamins ect in the right balance to grow into the dog she should be.

It is possible also to feed a complete raw food diet to her, and a husky would do well on that, however you have to be very commited to it to make sure everything is in the right balance.

Husky's are hardy dogs, I am sure she will be fine! don't worry! not your fault that someone told you something silly!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM

Sorry, I should've been more clear... they said they mixed in hamburger meat with the food they fed her.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to a pet nutritionist first thing tomorrow and get some good food for a husky.

Thanks for those brand recommendations, I'll look into it!

Cheers.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM
-

Good luck ....please let us know what your nutritionist recommends.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'm glad that it wasn't a pet store then, sorry I misunderstood! It's not uncommon for husky folks to feed meat along with kibble from what I see in this province.

Any high end organic food would be fine for the pup.... as folks have already recommended. If you can get the pup to eat a fish based one then you will be very happy with the coat in the long run, makes it softer and reduces some of the shedding.
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Doggie Wench

I can't speak for this particular breeder but there are some who wean puppies to raw food. In that case, there'd be whole eggs ground in with the meat and minute amounts of organs as well. I honestly think that's great an ethical breeder would choose to go this route as it certainly won't harm the puppies.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm a softy

I agree that raw is awesome, but if it was only hamburger meat and nothing else they were getting I would feel they would be missing out on some vital nutrients at that imprtant stage, yes I agree raw is awesome, but one has to balance all minerals, vitamins and nutrients. I would agree a breeder that dedicated themselves to feeding barf diet would be an awesome thing! If everything else that they do is also ethical and responsible.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
-

How is Lexi doing?
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM

sorry for the lack of update... been really busy.

I went to the PJs and bitched the asst. manager out. It really pissed me off.

Then I picked up some new food for puppies and it's more suitable for her. It's human grade. I'm not home right now, but when I get home I'll list the brand name. It was recommended by the nutritionist.

I'm doing 1/4 of the new food and 3/4 of the old food. Will do half half tomorrow.

She's pooping a lot.... like 8 times yesterday (including 2:30am this morning).

I slept on the sofa just incase if she needed to go.

Hopefully she gets better soon.
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM

The reason why they told you to use nutrience derma for your husky puppy is because huskies have very sensitive stomach and they usually have diarrhia from everythin. lamb and rice is good for them. rice will somewhat stop the diarhia.most the huskies I know can not eat chicken. also just a thought on the age for that food. I have a bernese mountain dog. when i first took him the to vet he recomended feeding adult food to make sure the puppy grows slower so the bones and the joints can develope properly and reather slower than faster and weaker. which is very important when its a large breed dog we are talking about.
I hope your puppy is doing good.and hopefully you found the perfect food.
Have fun.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM

she has been doing amazing and feels better too. The pet food is called health wise.

We give her health wise for puppies. http://www.healthwisepetfood.com/pro...ult.asp?id=547

she loves it so much!