Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM

purchased new cat food

Hi i went today and purchased Hills natures best dry kitten food at the vet for my two precious kittens because i will never trust the supermarket pet food any more after i had to have my cat put to sleep on sunday past. I had given her the treats that were recalled and unfortunately i had thrown out what was left because i was so mad so i have no way really of proving i gave them to him. any way i was wondering do any one have any information on this kitten food and any other information on raising healty kittens that will live a long long because my cat was only 5 years old. thank you.i am enclosing pictures of my new addition to my family, i think they are adorable, they will never replace my cat but they will help ease the pain and emptiness without her.Well i looked at the ingredients in this food and there is no wheat gluten in it and theres minerals , etc etc in it and it is suppose to be all natural and it sounds good to me but i dont know any more, i believe that the food at the vet is a lot better than the supermarket brands and that our pets have a lot better chance for good health with it than with the supermarket food.At work a woman said to me today that we have to try to trust at least one of the pet foods, but which one is the question.
Attached Images

Last edited by maureen 113; April 13th, 2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: new information
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I am so sorry you lost your cat.

You should be aware that some Hills food was also recalled-some of their science diet canned savory cuts in gravy, and their dry prescription diet m/d feline. Personally, I wouldn't trust any of their food.

In addition, Hills is a very low quality food. If you visit the dog & cat food forum here, you will learn lots about choosing good foods.

P.S. Your kittens are adorable!
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Live well, laugh often

My condolences on your cat :sad: .

I am glad to see that you are working to provide good food for your new babies. I agree that Hills is not really a great food. It has a lot of grains and "filler" type products in it. Unfortunately vets do make money selling it and therefore tend to push it.

I would recommend looking for a brand such as Innova, Felidae or Orijen. These are all great products which use quality protein sources and minimal grains or other fillers. Take a look at the dog/cat food forum, there is lots of good recommendations there.

Good Luck.
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM
chronically insane.

Hills was recalled O_O If I were you, I'd return it and go get something better like Felidae or um Natural balance. Do not get anything with the word 'by products' or 'wheat' or 'corn meal' in it. IMO. Those are just crappy fillers.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Your kittens are adorable. Try to find a good grain free dry cat food. I have my cats on Orijen, wet food can be more of a challenge, there's lots of food info here in the forum though.

Cindy
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I know you might now feel confused,probably wondering why the vet would sell Hills if it is no good,you are not alone,a lot of people readily buy anything a vet suggests.
You'll have to go to a Pet-Supply store for better food,like others have suggested,learn to read the ingredients,corn,corngluten,wheatgluten and others are not something you should feed your adorable kittens.
We as pet-lovers have to become informed,so there will be no more tragedies like the one you experienced with your other kitty:sad:
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM
-

So sorry for the loss of your cat.

I agree with everyone that Hill's is not a good food. I would suggest Orijen, Felidae, Innova or Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance.