Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 28th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Kitty Mum

What human foods are okay for felines?

Hello Ladies and Gents!

There was a post a couple of weeks back on what foods were bad for dogs. I asked in the forum if anyone knew what foods were bad for cats - then I felt like a poster hog and said I would make my on post on the subject...so here I am!

I know that pasta is okay, because I flipped through a recipe book for cats once and noticed that in there. But, what other foods are okay and what foods should definitely be steered clear of?

Thanks!
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

I've heard that all of the things that are bad for dogs are also bad for cats (chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins)... I heard another one recently... avocados! And I also heard garlic can be bad in large quantities, for both cats and dogs.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Kitty Mum

I thought that cat systems were different from a dog's? My cats do get "treats" every once and a while. I want to make sure that I am not giving them anything that is harmful to them. The dog food post really worried me.
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is the one that I found for cats.

A Guide to Safe VS Toxic "Table Scraps" for Cats
Let's face it: some cats are inveterate "bums" and will beg and plead most appealingly while you try to eat. While I will (rarely) give a cat a tidbit of chicken or turkey from my plate, it's a practice I don't encourage as a regular habit for a few reasons. First, because cats need the nutrients specifically provided for them in good, premium cat foods, and any "extras" that they consume will take away their appetites for their regular meals. A sliver of turkey or chicken from your dinner plate certainly won't kill a cat, but you're helping him develop bad habits. What happens when Aunt Phoebe comes for dinner and Simon jumps on her lap to scarf up her meal?
However, the main reason I'd discourage feeding cats "people food" is that there are a number of foods that are toxic to cats. You may have forgotten that the gravy slathered over your Thanksgiving turkey used broth that was flavored with onion, among other things. While it is tasty and harmless to humans, onions are very toxic to cats. The following is a list of foods that cats should never eat:

Onions, Garlic, & Related Root Vegetables

Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount.

Tomatoes, Green (raw Potatoes)

These foods are members of the Solanaceae family of plants, which includes the Deadly Nightshade, and contain a bitter, poisonous alkaloid called Glycoalkaloid Solanine, which can cause violent lower gastrointestinal symptoms. The Feline Future web site offers a rare description of a cat which was close to death from ingesting just one cherry tomato (See the link on the sidebar).

Chocolate

It's becoming more widely known that chocolate is very toxic to both cats and dogs. Theobromine is the offending substance here. Janet Tobiassen Crosby, D.V.M. has an excellent article on the symptoms, effects, and treatment of chocolate toxicity.

Grapes and Raisins

These foods' toxicity has only recently been discovered, and although the only studies have been with dogs, it is also believed that these fruits may also affect cats adversely. For more information see the ASPCA Poison Control Center article, The Wrath of Grapes.

Milk

Although milk is not toxic to cats, it may have adverse effects. Simply put, adult cats fed a nutritious diet don't need milk, and many cats are lactose-intolerant, which means that the lactose in milk and milk products produces stomach upset, cramps, and gassiness. If your cat loves milk, and begs for it, a small amount of cream may be okay, two or three times a week. (The more fat in the milk, the less lactose.) Another compromise is CatSip, a product made from skim milk with an enzyme added that helps the digestion of lactose. Catsip is available in supermarkets such as Safeway, Albertson's and A&P, as well as pet products chains, such as PetSmart and Petco.

These are the most commonly seen "people foods" that are potentially harmful to cats. The bottom link is to feed your cat nutritious food developed with his needs in mind and choose treats designed for cats instead of table scraps.

If You Think Your Cat Has Been Poisoned

Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center at one of the numbers below
1-900-443-0000 ($45.00 per case. The charge is billed directly to caller's phone.)
1-888-426-4435. $45.00 per case, credit card only.)
Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:02 AM
chronically insane.

Whoa whoa.. I heard alot of that stuff is okay for cats.. especially the garlic. My mom bought a book about cats and it said alot of cats love garlic and love to eat italian food... O-o & it also said that in another book about cats my aunt has... why would both books say something like that if it's poisionus to cats?
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Too much garlic can be harmful so to be safe, they just say no garlic.

Definitely no onions ever though.
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
astrointestinal symptoms. The Feline Future web site offers a rare description of a cat which was close to death from ingesting just one cherry tomato
There is a very poor selection of cat food here, but one that my cats love (Whiskas, sorry!!) shows as one of its ingredients 'min 4% tomato in gravy'. There is a very poor selection of food here, only 3 or 4 very commercial brands, literally nothing holistic, etc. My old cat will only eat this Whiskas. Now I'm worried about the tomato!
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Id be more worried about some of the other stuff in it

Cats can be very fussy. The reason they like these crap foods is because of te crap they put in it. They're like lttle junkies needing a fix

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

My old cat used to steal tomato off the table, another used to ignore the meat and steal any squash that was anywhere to be found. We never saw any adverse effects (i had no idea then that they were not healthy for them). IMO if your old cat has had no adverse effects then i guess its fine, although not a wonderful food, if hes eating it and he wont eat anything else and hes happy and healthy then it cant be all that bad for him. im not sure of the long term effects though. cats are so finicky arent they? they run us in circles for sure.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Smile Boots should have been a Dog...

Howdie All;

May Cat Boots I think whold have been a Dog as if I don't keep my eye on him, he'll almost anything and everything.! I've never seen a cat have such a varied appetite for almost any kind of food.!!
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM
The demons' servant

Hmmm maybe I shouldn't mention all the stuff my cats get into......

O.o

Megan
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Tomatoes, Green (raw Potatoes)

I realize that this is an older thread, but is it Green Tomatoes and Raw Potatoes that are no-nos? The only "people food" that Jo the cat will eat is 1/2 a Spaghettio meatball, and a small nibble of raw potato.
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Looks like it in the description. If it is the solanine that is the problem, make sure to not feed sprouting or potatoes with green under the skin. Although apparently some potatoes can contain toxic levels even if they don't have green under the skin, so probably best to stay away from them entirely just in case. Cooking the potato does destroy some of the solanine. Always store potatoes in the dark. Incidentally, the solanine is also toxic to humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato
http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publicat...FGV-00337.html
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Hi, are prawns and ham ok for kitties? I feed my three kitties - Sophie, Ellie and Flossie Teacake, on the 'Science diet' plan from our vets [I'm in the U.K] but they all love king prawns and ham [small quantities of course]

Cheers
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Swift Tribe

i would worry abotu the salt in the ham but prawns are ok.

have you considered better food than Science Diet??

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
i would worry abotu the salt in the ham but prawns are ok.

have you considered better food than Science Diet??

-ashley
Hi, thanks for the reply. We were always told that this was the best plan for them. It's certainly the most expensive and proves really popular here in the UK. Do you not rate it?
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM

spinach bad for cats

I have heard that spinach is a food that is toxic to cats.
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:18 AM

re: science diet

science diet is like a very expensive version of IAMs or purina. im in canada and its sold in alot of vets office next to the medi-cal. i have done alot of research on foods and now feed my cats and dog orijen and love it. its pretty much the next best thing to raw food. they will eat it over temptations treats anyday. One of my cats had allergies to alot of foods and was overweight, but this food is so biologically correct that its cleared up all of her exsema and shes back to a really good weight without me having to regulate how much which cat eats. they're furs been alot softer and oddly enough my allergies (yes im allergic to cats) have calmed down alot too. its quite reasonable aswell... about $18 canadian for a 2.5kg bag!
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonie View Post
i have done alot of research on foods and now feed my cats and dog orijen and love it. its pretty much the next best thing to raw food.
Um, not exactly. Kibble, no matter who makes it or what they say on the packaging, is not the next best thing to raw when we're talking about cats. It is still highly processed and it still contains a number of ingredients that obligate carnivores don't need. It's biggest drawback, however, is the lack of moisture. Cats have evolved getting all of their water requirements met through their food, aka mice and birds with 60-80% moisture. Kibble is 10% moisture or less. This recent phenomenon of feeding our cats only dry food is resulting in a whole host of subsequent medical conditions like bladder/urinary tract issues, kidney disease, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.

So the next best thing to raw is actually canned. It's great that your cats are doing better on Orijen, but perhaps they'd thrive even more if they were eatiing wet food. http://www.catinfo.org/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM

I know that many natural-foods adherents do recommend kyolic garlic as a supplement for pets (cats or dogs) and that it acts to repel fleas. Because it is aged, the allicin is no longer present so it's not supposed to be harmful anymore. I used it in the powdered form sprinkled on canned food for all my cats awhile back, in small doses, and they thrived on it. I wanted an alternative to the usual flea-control chemicals. It's promoted as a tonic and systemic purifier as well.

Ironically, a year after I stopped giving them the garlic and gave in to using Advantage, Gollum did develop anemia owing to liver failure. He's a cardiomyopathy patient. But it wasn't garlic that caused it.

Regular garlic - especially fresh - is toxic to cats because of the allicin. Any member of this family - e.g. onion - will have similar components.

But it is best to get your vet's opinion on this subject.
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Onions and garlic are in the same family so I don't feed any to my pets. Same as shallots and chives.

I do feed turkey and chicken cut in small pieces, sradines, tuna occassionally. Wellness canned too and Wellness Core. I buy Frishkies sometimes and even Special Kitty. The days they get that they get more raw food. When I'm able to go to the city two hrs away from me who sell Wellness I pick it up there. I only have a few choices of food in town here.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Obsessed animal lover

Quote:
Here is the one that I found for cats.

Milk

Although milk is not toxic to cats, it may have adverse effects. Simply put, adult cats fed a nutritious diet don't need milk, and many cats are lactose-intolerant, which means that the lactose in milk and milk products produces stomach upset, cramps, and gassiness. If your cat loves milk, and begs for it, a small amount of cream may be okay, two or three times a week. (The more fat in the milk, the less lactose.) Another compromise is CatSip, a product made from skim milk with an enzyme added that helps the digestion of lactose. Catsip is available in supermarkets such as Safeway, Albertson's and A&P, as well as pet products chains, such as PetSmart and Petco.
Thanks for the info!

I have a stupid question for you...what if you gave a cat who is lactose intolerance a lactose-free milk? Would it then be okay to give a cat?
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Onions and Garlic is Poison For Pets!

Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM

What about cheese? Would this be considered the same as milk? We are very careful not to give our cat very much cheese, but we have spoiled her a bit on occasion.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammo View Post
What about cheese? Would this be considered the same as milk? We are very careful not to give our cat very much cheese, but we have spoiled her a bit on occasion.
Small amounts of cheese are a great treat.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cats can be lactose intolerant and not be able to handle milk products. I understand yogurt may be the exception as it is low in lactose.

Best thing to feed your cat: Meat, meat, meat, they are carnivores, not humans.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM

About the Garlic

Garlic in pill form or a clove or two chopped up in the food discourage fleas doesn't it? (Sry if it's been said already)
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Both onions and garlic are on the aspcs'a list of foods to avoid feeding both cats and dogs. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...safe-home.html

Dr. Lee and I did a podcast on this very topic click here to take a listen from your computer (by clicking the embedded player on the following page). He also agrees that both cats and dogs should avoid both garlic and onions.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM

Goats milk? Ok for cats?

I know that normal milk, is not good for some cats & yes it gives mine diarrhea really bad. I then met a professional show persian breeder who told me her cats also loved milk, but had the same problem & what she did was give her cats goats milk, about twice a week just for a small treat, other breeders have done the same. She would set out a bowl & they shared it & probably each got a couple tablespoons with no problems. I tried the goats milk & between 7 cats, I use 1 pint a week as treat with no problem at all. Is goats milk an acceptable food or am I wrong is giving it?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuggleBunny View Post
Is goats milk an acceptable food or am I wrong is giving it?
Goat milk is totally acceptable (way better option than cow dairy). I sometimes give my cats goat yogurt and goat butter.