Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 6th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Great Pryenees

we are having alot of problems with our great Pyrenees attacking our other male dog. our German Shepard cross is 13 months old. Our great pyrenees is 11 months old. both dogs have been fixed months ago.

we owned the German Shepard mix dog a few months before we owned the Great Pyrenees. we found Coco(Great Pyrenes) half dead in a very bad home so we took him home. his brothers and sisters where litterly in peices across the yard eaten and killed by what i do not know. all i noticed was one little bloody survovor hideing beside the house. we took him home bathed him and brought him to the pet emergency room where he recieved care. they told us they where unsure if he would survive. we did not have the money to keep him with the vet so we took him home and nursed him ourselves. he was a very terrified little guy and as a family we took turns taking care of him. after a month we finally got him out from his favorite hiding place (under a chair). we could not afford training so we started researching what wecould off of the web and calling breeders and trainers for what advice we could.

Things where doing great! Coco got over his fears and anxietys and became a very loving loyal dog, he is our gentle gaint. him and our German Shepard cross nanook where inseperable. we take them for a walk/run at the dog park for an hour and a half in the morning and then they get a walk for an hour at night time. we also had both dogs fixed.

Coco reached 10 months old and it all changed. he attacks the other dog for no reason. nanook would be sleeping and our GP would run at him and start attacking. he shows no signs of aggresion towards other animals or people. and we dont have any other problems with our dogs. well Coco tends to bark in the back yard but stops when called.
i can no longer keep the dogs in the same room. as soon as Coco sees the other dog he attacks. The German Shepard can either have his back turned, looking at him, sleeping, eating wagging his tail it does not matter the Great Pyrenees will attack. i was told recently (first time i heard this) that Great Pry cannot be housed with other large breed male dogs and that i will need to surrender him. Another trainer suggested bear mase the dogs when they fight but i will NOT ever so such a horrible thing. i was also told to muzzle the dogs all the time. maybie i am picky but this does not sounds like a solution. i have tried to muzzle them while i slowly reintroduce them to each other again but the dogs just turn thier backs to each other and refuses to aknowledge each other. i did this for 15 min at a time.

at the dog park they act like best freinds and play well together. Dureing walks they dont play together but they walk next to each other with no agresion. Once back in the house the fighting begins.

I do not have money. i do however spend my days with my dogs and reading what i can and listen to any advice given to me. we have three children and i am gettign worn thin by having two dogs seperate and managing the kids. I love both my dogs, they are my family and from what i have been told i may have to get rid of one of my dogs. i am affriad of this becuase i do not want them in just any home i would like for them to be in a home that will repsect them and give them the proper care they truely deserve. if anyone has any suggestions as to what we can do for the Great Pyrenees it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

He is a very good dog. listens to comands, he walks very well on leash. Off leash he does very well to but if he sees puppys or small dogs he tries to walk with them rather then with me lol. a quick correction and he is back on track. He is bubbly and snugly with alot of energy=-)
Again any help would be appreciated
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM

I would, (personal opinion) no give either away, I know it can wear you thin having to separate then, and deal with kids, I have a 5 year old neice and a 1 year old nephew, who LOVE Bennie, but he is still much too pushy to play with them, I also at the moment have to separate Bennie from the little dogs here, and cats as well, because I havent accomplished training him to stop stomping on them :S.

I know how hard it can be, but you love your dogs, and I think that with some effort you can accomplish re-integrating them in the house. I think the muzzles would probably throw them off, however, muzzle the GP and let the other dog interact with him. You said 15 minutes at a time, thats good, it makes it so they dont get bored of the idea completely and get frustrated. I would also try a baby gate, one that they cant push down and get past, so they can interact through that, and see how that goes, its been really helpful for Bennie with the other dogs here, they know he isnt a monster, and he is learning that they are ALOT smaller than he is.

I think the babygate might be helpful, then the dogs can take the time to see what the other one is doing, and interact a little through the gate, and you can still keep bringing them together for their 15 minute intervals.

This is just my opinion, I hope it can be helpful, if anyone disagrees, PLEASE correct me, I dont want to give poor advice, but I feel this has helped with Ben..
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM

I just want to throw it in there, that I have very little money too, so I know what your going through, and I am 100% in an understanding with your situation, its really difficult to have people tell you to get rid of one of your dogs, simply because they have some issues..I really respect that your looking for help, instead of just up and tossing either of your pups
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

CocoAndrea, I'm in Calgary and want to offer my services to help you. I'm a licenced, certified behaviorist in the city. Email me at anna@pettiquite.com if you want me to come and assess your dogs and give you some further training free of charge, or just to get my phone number and talk on the phone.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; October 6th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Bailey that is really great of you. I hope she takes you up on this.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Wow Bailey, I wish there were trainers that nice in my area!

You rock, its great to offer your services *thumbs up* to you!
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks mastifflover & Lyrical. I honestly don't usually advertise the fact that I do probono work, but if I ever come across someone needing training help with their animals I will absolutley offer to help regardless of payment. It's more important IMO to help a family rather than risk the chance that the dog is rehomed, etc.
I do know a few other trainers/behaviorists that do this through Canada, but unfortunatley Lyrical I can't think of anyone that does in your area.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Amazing!!

thank you so very much!! i have sent u an e-mail. i have called to many places for help but not many would even give me advice without me giveing them money first! one dog breeder even suggested i bear mase my dogs. ew. Thanks again for for offering to help keep my family together=-) hope to talk to you soon
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds good CocoAndrea, I'll be replying shortly. Look forward to meeting you and your boys!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Bailey, is there like....a listing I can look up? maybe could you PM me?
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Lyrical, are you referring to trainers period - or ones that do volunteer work? There would be no listing as to trainers that do this willingly, unfortunatle; but if you google trainers in your area you should be able to find someone close. Be sure to check all references.

I'd reccomend calling your local shelter or rescues and finding out what trainers are affiliated with them first. Most trainers won't randomly admit that they do any probono work simply because it is their means of living. But if you find the right trainer, you can often explain your situation and most of the ones that run in my circles would not turn a dog/owner away if the family was having a financial struggle. Those that do, aren't worth your time anyway IMO.

Even if they can only give you one or two lessons, it still may set you on the right path.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM

I will deffinately try that...Thanks for the tip...Im sorry I stole the thread...GP are beautiful dogs btw kudos to you for resuceing him BTW i never thought to say HEY you are a great person!!
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM

hehe no worrys =-) we both share the same problem and love our dogs enuogh to seek what help we can =-) and i also forgot to tell u thank u for the tips =-)
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Hey no problem, I will offer help where I can, sometimes it works....sometimes not but anything is worth a try to keep a family together, furfamily or peoplefamily Keep us posted?