Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old June 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Cat weaning "sock"

So guys - you know I have a couple of mammas going in for fixing next Sunday. I was having some problems with momma in the house because no matter how closely I watched the kittens still managed to suckle her. She needs 2 weeks to dry up before she gets fixed. So...... I came up with an idea. It's a little goofy but so far it's working!
I cut the foot out of a knee high, cut holes for her legs, and waa laa, a weaning sock! No more suckling!
Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I would have chosen black...
It's a great idea. How does mommy like it?
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Boy, are you ever inventive! I'd never have even remotely thought of that! Did she fuss about it being on at all?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you checked her for milk? How is she liking that ingenious invention?

A couple of Sweet Pea's kittens suckled until they left home , just when she allowed them to and that was usually at bed time, but she wasn't producing any milk. The last little girl was 5 months old and spayed and still trying to suckle from Sweet Pea. The boy was 4 months when he was sent off for adoption. They just loved their momma

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
cat slave

ohmy! very stylish!
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

She actually has been great with it. For the first while after I put it on she did the whole - Oh no! You put something on me, I can't walk, flop! thing. But it wasn't long before she was walking around, acting as normal. She is also in heat again. I am wondering if there is a sock we can make to fix that!!

cpietra16 - I took the first one I grabbed out of my drawer. Maybe next time it will be black. I quit wearing those things years ago. I don't even know why I still have some.

L4H - her belly feels nice and normal. No lumps, bumps, no milk at all that I can see/feel. But I can't take the chance. Their rules for getting them spayed is no milk, period. The momma in the porch still has lots! I am keeping an eye on her that it doesn't result in mastisis.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; June 5th, 2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: quit is not spelled quite!
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Let me know what you think.
I think you should patent it
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
~Cat Servent~

Genius! And I love the 'flop' they do! Almost like a protest! (mine do it in their harnesses )

That would have been a good way to recycle legwarmers too!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
L4H - her belly feels nice and normal. No lumps, bumps, no milk at all that I can see/feel. But I can't take the chance. Their rules for getting them spayed is no milk, period. The momma in the porch still has lots! I am keeping an eye on her that it doesn't result in mastisis.
I had to squeeze her nipples to make sure there was NO milk at all before the Humane Society would even book an appt for spaying her. Any idea why they can't be spayed if they have milk?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I would have chosen black...:
The net ones ?

genious idea !
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:50 AM
proud to be a cat slave

Great idea
plus it looks hilarious!
Soon they'll have spanx especially for cats - for that lean look

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Kitty-sausage!!!!! I love it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks guys!!
L4H - supposedly there can be complications and infections from the milk. And from what the vet techs told me in TO - the vet doesn't like being sprayed with milk.

Old June 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Great idea!!!!
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

What a great way to recycle

lol thats a great picture i love the way they flop when you put something on them they don't want on

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Genius! And I love the 'flop' they do! Almost like a protest! (mine do it in their harnesses )

kr - legwarmers would be too easy for the kittens to push up. They have been trying hard with the knee hi but haven't been successful yet. I have an idea for a better one too but will have to take time to actually make it! Maybe when Canadian Idol is on next week.

Thanks everyone. It's been fun hearing comments. Hubby thinks I am completely whacko now!!

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I've used them as a sweater to prevent further damage on a cat that was obsessively scratching her shoulder blades - just cut holes for the front legs worked great

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Rox - forever in my heart

What a clever idea! And it works too: fabulous.
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM
150% PRO S/N

The legwarmers would work great for that growler! It's amazing, we spend millions every year for a wardrobe for our furbabies and it's not necessary. With a little ingenuity we could just recycle our sock drawer.

Old June 6th, 2008, 12:01 PM

what a great idea and so good that it will help her to heal up faster so that she can be spayed
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
chronically insane.

haha, well good luck with that. I tried similar things to make my kittens wean, but nothing worked. I ended up having to ship my cat off to my grandmoms for a while so that Missy & Kasey would stop trying to nurse (Holly was already weaned by then).

It's strange, as too this day I still find Missy trying to nurse from Socks o-O and shes over a year old.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
haha, well good luck with that. I tried similar things to make my kittens wean, but nothing worked. I ended up having to ship my cat off to my grandmoms for a while so that Missy & Kasey would stop trying to nurse (Holly was already weaned by then).

It's strange, as too this day I still find Missy trying to nurse from Socks o-O and shes over a year old.
Actually kathryn - she has been wearing it whenever she is around her kittens (usually 3 to 4 hours throughout the day) and it has been working fabulously. They are separated at night which is the time I would really worry about it. Her milk is dried up but if the kittens keep trying to suckle her could start again. She is being fixed next Sunday and she needs to be dry. After that I don't care how often they try to suckle. But thanks for the comments.

Old June 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Why is it that if you actually wear those things, they run. But cut a few holes in one and insert cat and it doesn't even ravel!

What a great idea, Geri!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

Hazel!!! So true! Actually, I have had a few runs in one. I had to make a new one. But it's still working fantastic!!
Thanks !

Old June 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,you are a genius,a bit whacky,like your husband says,but still a genius
I understand the kittens are eating by themselves now,right?Or you would not do this.
I bet you moma now feels stylish and relieved,she will be even more so when she won't have to be preggers again,thank's to you
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks Chico!!
Kitties are 9 weeks old today. They are doing great! My other babies are 9 weeks on Sunday. They are doing really well too!
Sometimes whacky isn't ALL bad.

Old June 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

That really is a great idea! When Tilly had the quads, that would have been nice to have. I think she would have fed them til they were grown. We had to bring them inside the house to stop them from nursing on her.

Again, great idea!

Diane
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks dmc!!!!

Old June 9th, 2008, 01:11 AM
-

LOL......too funny but what an awesome idea.