Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM

Strange Behavior - Hiding in small places?

Good evening everyone! My 2-1/2 year old pound puppy is acting very strange tonight. He's trying to hide in small spaces around the house - crawled between the couch and the wall earlier and laid down in the shower after I stepped out this afternoon - water and all! The latest was he just tried to crawl into the bottom of my entertainment unit - under the TV. His back half was sticking out, but he was trying like heck to get in there. I just dragged his crate (which he doesn't go into much anymore) into the living room here and he's sleeping in there right now. Weird.....he doesn't have any other symptoms. He DOES have an affinity for chewing underwear. Think it's possible he's got an obstruction going on? I thought he pooped this morning, but I'm not 100% sure. He didn't eat dinner tonight, which isn't terribly unusual - he doesn't usually eat right away.

Thoughts?

Mom to:
Kayleigh (human), 15
Daniel (human), 12
Harry (Labradane), 7
Jake (Great Dane), 4
Murphy (Border Collie/Shepherd), 2.5
Eddie (Hamster), 2
Fishies (All named after Steelers)
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

He's guilty.

Of something.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Strange Behavior

He needs to see a vet asap for an over-all examination and perhaps an x-ray to determine is there is an obstruction. Don't wait too long as an obstruction can be life threatening.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've got a couple hiding in strange places tonight--mostly because they don't like the gun fire of the opening weekend of the gun deer season... Did PA's season open today?

If it's not from something like that, just keep an eye on him for pooping, make sure he's drinking, and if he's still not eating tomorrow or he gets worse, take him to the vet. I hope it's not an obstruction!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM

He's sleeping right now. We actually live fairly close to a shooting range, so I don't think it's deer season that has him spooked. He has eaten COUNTLESS pairs of my daughter's underwear - I find them "thrown up" whole all over my house. I don't know who I get more mad at - him or my 16 year old who keeps leaving them where he can get to them!!!!! I suppose it's possible he finally met a pair that got the best of him. I'll keep a close eye on him and keep you all posted.......

Mom to:
Kayleigh (human), 15
Daniel (human), 12
Harry (Labradane), 7
Jake (Great Dane), 4
Eddie (Hamster), 2
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Wellllllllllllllllllll............he pooped.

And he's still acting weird. But it can't be an obstruction, right? I mean, he wouldn't be able to go at all, would he?

My husband is out of town - Murphy is definitely closer to me, but maybe he just senses that something's different...???

Mom to:
Kayleigh (human), 15
Daniel (human), 12
Harry (Labradane), 7
Jake (Great Dane), 4
Eddie (Hamster), 2
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I would just keep a good eye on him. Has he eaten since then? Still drinking plenty of water?

When Patrón was around 5-6 months old, he ate a WHOLE sock, and then promptly threw it up on my floor. The same with a pair of my underwear. dogs are so weird! Lol

Maybe its an anxiety issue with your DH being away, some dogs, especially ones that have been abandoned before, get seperation anxiety pretty badly. Do you know what his history was before you got him?
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBullMom View Post
I would just keep a good eye on him. Has he eaten since then? Still drinking plenty of water?

When Patrón was around 5-6 months old, he ate a WHOLE sock, and then promptly threw it up on my floor. The same with a pair of my underwear. dogs are so weird! Lol

Maybe its an anxiety issue with your DH being away, some dogs, especially ones that have been abandoned before, get seperation anxiety pretty badly. Do you know what his history was before you got him?
If he was punished by hitting or "spanking" by the former owners for chewing on something he was not suppose to, I would still say he was trying to hide out of fear and guilt. He probably thought the same punishment would happen again. I have seen this many times with abused shelter critters. Which is why most abandoned animals get where they are. Abuse has never been an effective training tool and never will be. Thank God.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM

I got Murph "the Smurf" when he was a pup at the Humane Society - he was there with his litter mates, so I don't think there's any chance he was abused. We've been his only owners and we absolutely do not believe in hitting in any way, shape or form. It's the darndest thing. He's eating, drinking and peeing/pooping as normal. Just acting WEIRD. He jumped on the bed last night and tried to sleep ON MY HEAD. I honestly don't think there's anything physical going on - and my other two dogs are not treating him any differently, so I don't think it's them. I just don't know. I'm heading up to bed now. I'll let you know if he tries to sleep on my head again.....what a goofball!

Mom to:
Kayleigh (human), 15
Daniel (human), 12
Harry (Labradane), 7
Jake (Great Dane), 4
Eddie (Hamster), 2
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julster View Post
I got Murph "the Smurf" when he was a pup at the Humane Society - he was there with his litter mates, so I don't think there's any chance he was abused. We've been his only owners and we absolutely do not believe in hitting in any way, shape or form. It's the darndest thing. He's eating, drinking and peeing/pooping as normal. Just acting WEIRD. He jumped on the bed last night and tried to sleep ON MY HEAD. I honestly don't think there's anything physical going on - and my other two dogs are not treating him any differently, so I don't think it's them. I just don't know. I'm heading up to bed now. I'll let you know if he tries to sleep on my head again.....what a goofball!
Then he's just guilty! And smart...he knows he did something he shouldn't have.

Ciara was the same way, she knew when she did something wrong and I could see that the minute I walked in the door, except she was a Rotti trying to be a Chihuahua. She did this also when I broke out the evil suck machine (that's what she called it) the vacuum cleaner.
An 85 lb dog trying to be invisible is hilarious! She was a goofball too. Who can't love the goofyness of a loved one.
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:32 AM

A dog sleeping on your head is not unusual. Puppies will sleep on top of each other. Completely normal. It's that good physical contact.
Hidingffrom scary things is normal also. And dogs will hide from you if they knw they did something wrong...
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Im thinking that (so long as you know Murph isnt sick) that the more attention you pay to them behaving weird the more they do it. Its like a naughty child who says the F word! It does it all the more as it knows the reaction its getting. (Not that my darlings have ever said it of course).
Maybe try and totally ignore the behaviour and he might just stop.
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:37 PM

My dog is acting similarly

This seemed the likely thread to post to...

My dog has started acting similarly lately. She's a Cocker-Bishon mix, about 7 years old, a rescue from a puppy mill (where she was a puppy mill mama), I've had her now for 4 & 1/2 years, thankfully no health issues the entire time she's been with me.

Up until just recently she would sleep on my bed at night, under one of her favorite blankets. This started a couple months ago, roughly. She waits until I get settled into bed, then within the hour she jumps down and goes to my desk, where she curls up in the foot space underneath. Sometimes, she sleeps there all night. Sometimes, she returns to the bed and finishes the night there.

I work at home, so during the day, she alternates between sleeping on the bed or in a recliner. When I come home, I almost always find her sleeping in the recliner, waiting for me.

Her eating habits have not changed, her bodily functions are all normal and consistent, she sees the vet for checkups regularly, there have been no other unusual behaviors or changes in her routines, I change the bed linens every few days and wash all her blankets regularly (same hypoallergenic laundry soap I've always used)... I just can't figure this sleeping under my desk thing out.

Any insights or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog was sleeping in my our bed and since he came home from the groomer he been sleeping on the floor. Marty will get back into bed when he think I am sleep and laid next to me. I think he is giving me the cold shoulder . Did something difference happen recently , your dog could be getting arthritis and having trouble getting comfortable . There are so many reasons why your dog is having strange behavior . Keep an eye on him to made sure he not ill or in any pain.
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our dogs began sleeping in the kennels more often as they got older--don't know why, but the older they got, the more they seemed to find the 'cave environment' is a comfy one. Maybe it's just that sort of thing with your dog, as well. A desk makes a dandy cave! If she insists on sleeping there, you might want to move her favorite blanket there at night.

Just recently, our 12-yr-old Macie has taken to jumping off the bed and sleeping alone on the loveseat or a dog nest. I think, in her case, it's arthritis--she'll stay on the bed till we crawl in, then leave. It might be that as we shift and turn at night, it jostles her and hurts her joints. So Barkingdog's suggestion of arthritis could well be what's going on. Has she ever been evaluated for arthritis?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."