Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old September 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Freezing, thawing and refreezing: is it OK?

I'm considering feeding raw to my 2 cats. I wonder if there is a problem if I buy my meat and organs, freeze them as is, thaw when I'm ready to make my recipe and then freeze again in individual containers.
I've heard you shouln't refreeze meat unless it has been cooked (for humans). If I refreeze raw meat, does it somehow affect the quality or only it's texture?

Thanks!
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

It's probably unwise. It has more to do with the quality of the meat than health issues. It is actually how you unthaw it and how you cook it that is more important. Of course, I am not a fan of uncooked meat though I do feed my cats chicken heats on occasion - partly cooked, if only because CJD scares the heck out of me.

Last edited by CyberKitten; September 26th, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Swift Tribe

hi Helene4, what sort of recipe are you talking of making? we feed our cats raw but package everythign before we freeze it. when it comes time to feed them, we set it out to thaw and then feed it to them. i dont freeze most of my organ meats because they go through as much as i buy before it goes bad.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM

When I say recipe, I mean cutting and/or grinding raw thawed chicken meat (including bones), adding supplements (vitamins, taurine, etc.) and then freezing in individual containers. It would allow me to stock up when the meat is on sale and make a batch later when I have all the needed ingredients and the time or when my reserves get to low. I live in a small rural town with only one supermarket so I would have to stock up when I can!
I will be following a recipe found in a book published in French in Québec on natural diets for dogs and cats. The recipe can also be found in English at: www.blakkatz.com. It is also in the book written by Michelle T. Bernard: Raising cats naturally-How to care for your cat the way nature intended.
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all, good for you for wanting to feed your cats raw! They will thank you with good health and happiness. As for freezing and refreezing, nothing wrong with it, although it might be easier for grinding purposes if the meat isn't completely thawed (gets really gummy when it is). Have you seen this website on making your own cat food?: http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood There's a ton of very detailed info there. Let us know how it goes!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Hi Sugarcatmom.

Yes, I've read just about everything on that website. You actually suggested it to me in my first post about vitamin D in cat food! It really gives a lot of info; it's a great complement for all the books I have on the subject.