Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 10th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats!!! Not many couples can say that anymore. We will celebrate our 37th next month - and we still like each other!!
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

catt, it is good that you are not going for the over stuffed merangue look (yes it was nice back then but styles different these days ).
chico that was great, see it doesnt matter how much it costs, just that you are in love, and it is fantastic to have a unique wedding, something no one will ever forget. yay 40 yrs, i hope we are happy for so long. totally agree- give me a beer anyday and i will be happy, dont give me fancy lollywater, just a freshly poured beer thanks(bottled if i have to, not that fussy). a modified VB beer(famous beer here) ad for aussies-

you can get it nitting
you can get it sh!ting
you can get it havin a row,
matter of fact ive got it now
VICTORIA BITTER- the thirst crusher

i always think this poem to myself before each beer, it is a bit of a worship ritual for the gods of beer, boy i hope i go to that heaven when i die, come with me chico and i will shout you an eternity of beers, lets get a keg, its cheaper
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Now I HAVE to share this . . . . my parents and my husband's parents were both married the same day, the same year. I dreaded that 50th Golden Wedding anniversary for years! We had a big double party. I made twin wedding cakes - each 6 tiers! Don't know where I got the energy but was running on some kind of adrenalin. Both of our dads are gone now and it's a neat memory. Weddings don't need to cost a lot to be personal and meaningful. But, do take lots of pictures! It's what you look back often on over the years.
Attached Images

Old June 10th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Me? I'm a wino! Only time I like the taste of beer is when it's really hot and muggy, the beer is ice-cold and my husband lets me take the 1st few sips right after he's opened it. Then, the 1st few sips of the next one, then . . . oh well, I admit it, there isn't anything that is sooo good right at that moment!
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Chocolate

o mi gawwwwwd, that's wonderful ladies!

thanx for the stories and congrats on the upcoming anniversaries!!
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

forgot to mention-my dad left the marines one day, and ended up in australia, he brought a motor bike and road from perth to NSW (right across the entire country). he got a job in NSW as a babysitter (like you would give him your kids, what were they thinking sheesh) he took the kids to a park one day and he met mum there, dad liked mums legs (this is his version) and thought her skirt was a belt, so he asked her out.. they were married 6 weeks later in the court house garden and have been together for 35yrs.
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

HeeHeeHee! I remember those mini-skirts! Now, I've heard of men taking a puppy to the park to meet girls . . . . .
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:45 PM

I love to knit and always have a project on the go. This is my favourite hobby because there is something so nice about giving someone a gift that you spent your time and effort on and it is so cozy and warm. I mostly knit a lot of baby gifts. Another thing I like to knit is dishcloths out of the cotton yarn, they are great for scrubbing and there are some pretty patterns out there and they are finished quickly.

I crochet a bit too, but I'm a better knitter. Love to scrapbook also, it's a great way to display your pictures. If there were only enough time to get more projects accomplished!

You know I even have a book with patterns for dog sweaters! Haven't actually made one yet though.
Old June 12th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Glasslass your stained glass art is absolutely stunning!!!! I think I may have found my next project a few years from now! I have a counted cross stitch picture of the Mona Lisa yet to do. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Bill $30.00 bucks for a sock monkey . I think we need to go into business together. I'll make it, you market it there
Old June 12th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok Mel,it's a date,I'm coming for that keg'o beer
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Chany, there's certainly a market for those things almost anywhere I'm sure. Lots of people I know had them when they were younger and the nostalgia factor kicks in. Then you personalize them for people and they really go wild for them. She put them on display at another friends art gallery and she sold all of the ones she had on the first night.
If you can make them, I'd make a few and see what kind of interest you get.

Myself, I still have a pile of shirts that need buttons sewn on....Sad, sad sad...
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Okay here are 2 things I've done. The teddy bears are a counted cross stitch picture and the howling wolf is crochet.
Attached Images

Old June 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM

No thanks Bill . Maybe in 20+ years when I take early retirement (hopefully ) I'll consider but until then not enough time. You need to learn how to sew buttons on my friend. I was really surprised that people will pay $30 for a decorated sock?
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Chany,when my son had his first open-heart surgery in 1974,he would not let go of his sock-monkey,he loved it sooo much it almost became part of him
But I know for sure in those days we did not pay $30.
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Oh no my friends, these are "designer" sock monkeys. Art. Yeah right. They still look like the regular good old fashioned sock monkeys to me. Just now they have personality

Vancouver is funny that way though. You walk by some stores that barely have anything in them except for stuff that looks like they got it at Ikea. But if they call the store a boutique, then they can charge twice as much.

I never go into stores that look like they don't have much stuff in them for sale. Or if they call themselves a boutique. I know that I just won't be able to find anything in there I can afford and usually won't have much time for the people who work in them.
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

$30 was worth a lot more in 1974! It's all in the marketing. I don't know whatever happened to my old sock monkey.
Chany, Your work is beautiful! I don't crochet, but I've done enough counted cross-stitch to know those teddy bears were a lot of work! I've only attempted small projects, like on quilt squares or sweatshirts. I'm really impressed! Don't look at the back of my cross-stitch!
Old June 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Thanks glasslass! Yeah it did take awhile but my daughter and I collect RUSS bears so we kind of have a theme in my great room. Make you a deal I'll do something for you and you can stain glass for me.

Chico your son had more than 1 open heart surgery? Man that had to have been hard on your family. Do you still have his sock monkey?
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey! I could go for that kind of a deal. But glass isn't easy to ship. My cousin did a beautiful etching of a photo of my dog about 20 years ago. In return, I did her wedding cake.
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

No Chany,I don't know what happened to it,I love those things though,wish we had saved it Well,he had one surgery at 4yrs another at 14 and hopefully he'll have another soon,he's 33yrs old now.
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Good friend of mine does pet portraits in coloured charcoal on canvas. She's an incredible artist. She did one of an older black lab and put her head on a Queen Elizabeth the First body, another with a friends Shepherd as a lumberjack, another with a friends dog in a tuxedo and the list goes on and on. They are amazing.
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Oh chico that has to be so stressful for all of you . You should try finding a sock monkey now for him and see if he remembers it. A good Luck gift.

Bill are you going to get your friend to make one of Bob?
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Chany,thank's for your concern,but no,it's not stressful,just part of life...for all of us.There are people with much worse problems,we are very fortunate
My son is one gutsy young man and still remembers his sock-monkey,he also had a Bugs Bunny whom when you pulled a string,would say What's up Doc!