Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:23 PM

Cat pooping outside letterbox--worse following a move

I have two cats, a 6.5 yo male and 7.5 yo female (both spayed or neutered). Both were shelter kittens. The male has had a hard time with litter boxes since the beginning.

2005-2011: we had a boudha dome litter box with swheat scoop litter (lid on). The male would often not cover his poop. Maybe 4-5 times a year there was some poop on the litter mat outside the opening.

July 2011: we relocated to Toronto. The cats were in their carriers (with breaks) for the 9 hour drive. We bought a new litter box that has a hole cut j to the top lid. Female adjusted without a problem. Male started pooping on top of the lid.

Oct. 2011: we moved across town to a different place. Husband bought a typical rectangular litterbox. Male pooped in living room instead of the bathroom with litterbox. We put up babygate (son is now 3, never antagonizes cats), and took lid off box. Now we're lucky if male poops in box. Sometimes it's covered, usually it's just outside the box. I'm pregnant and really disturbed by the poop. We took down the gate two weeks ago and male pooped in living room 4 times in a row. Gate is up and poop is just outside of box or some is on the lip and the rest on the floor.

So this is a longstanding issue that has gotten much worse following the move. My mom is coming in a few weeks to help with the baby and she HATES cats. I would love to figure this out soon.

Thanks so much in advance!! Sorry for typos, phone is such a pain to type on!