Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Garden nut

How much to charge for dog sitting?

Last year we kept a dog for someone while they went out of town. They go out of town a lot. We kept Max for three separate occasions last year, they didn't pay us anything. All I got was a stuffed dog that barks, and Sheeba is afraid of it. lol They contacted us in April and wanted us to babysit Max but then one of them got sick and got to stay at home with Max. They tell us he's not coming, the very night they were supposed to show up, and I had made arrangements ahead of time. They could have called sooner, in my opinion.

So now they are asking again for us to watch him at our house for 4 days.

I really don't want to be doing this for free any more, and probably should have never allowed it the first time. But I don't want to be taken advantage of and they are making it sound like it would be advantageous for us to get to see him again.

Huh? It's more work, another dog to exercise out in the biting flies, and another dog to brush during coat blowing season. I can't see how this would be beneficial. I have enough to do as it is.

So how do I tactfully say that OK I'll watch Max but I don't want to do it for free any more? I almost feel guilty for saying no. I either would like to get paid for my time or not do it at all.

And no I don't know what the local kennel charges. Or any kennel for that matter.

Help? They are wanting to drop him off on the 25th, but I haven't answered the email yet. And yes he's neutered. They take great care of him.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM

I would pay from 12$ up to 18$ a day and bring my dog's food for a period of 4 days for someone else to take good care of my dog like I do at home.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:25 AM

When Hubby and I went to Toronto a few weeks ago we paid my Brother in law $200 to watch our two dogs for nine days. The cheapest kennel near us would have charged us about $315 . The Kennel I was looking at, It's pricing was for boarding,walking, treats for the dogs and just general looking after them. My Brother in-law is not as Dog savvy as some, but he took good care of them and they were happy as pigs in mud when we got back .

In my opinion you should tell your friend that even though you really enjoy looking after Max, on top of your other responsibilities it is work, and a job well done should be rewarded .

I feel $40 to $60 for 4 days should be fair. I don't know if that helps much but that's my .

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Garden nut

They agreed and said that it was worth the money.

So it all worked out!

I don't want this to be a "job" though. But from time to time it should be OK.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM

When my friend goes away for a week she pays the the lady 120 for the week. My friend fills the fridge with food for her. She has two dogs and one cat and four chickens that need to be taken care of.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Boy am I ever overpaying for my dog sitter!! I pay $25 to the girl across the road to sit for the evening with my two dogs - normally maybe 6 hours. She doesn't have to walk them, feed them or anything. She just has to watch TV and eat all the food I leave her, plus she brings a friend to keep her company. The dogs are older and quite content to sleep the evenings away.

When I had to go away for three days my son took them for two and I paid another fellow $125 to stay with them for 24 hours. Two walks and two meals. Of course the one has SA very badly so it really is a 24 hour job, he was not allowed to leave them alone for 10 minutes. But it was a really easy gig for him.

I agree you need to get paid for minding Max, and $60 for four days is a BARGAIN!!! I paid my New Years Eve dog sitter $80.