Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Advantage or not??

This is the time of year I usually buy Advantage for my cats,but I hate to put pesticide on them and they do too.
We have not had a flea-problem for 20yrs at least here,but that's probably because I used Advantage.
Do you think I could skip it and take a chance this summer,I am at cross-roads over this

Last edited by chico2; July 9th, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

chico2,

like you I have not liked putting this stuff on my babies. We live in the southeastern US and have a lot of trouble with fleas - so what to do?

My recent searches discovered a lot of information on diatomaceous earth and just this week ordered some to try. I should have it in a few more days.

After I ordered it, I searched pets.ca and found a lot of articles on it, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work for all of mine.

We've used Frontline in the past, but along with hating using this on them, it hasn't worked so well in the last year or two. Three dogs, and 7 cats here, so fleas love us.

I wish you the best in your decision and cross your fingers that is works for all of mine. All I know is if your babies get fleas, you and they will be miserable. It is a constant battle here.

Diane
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I dont use flea medications till i have to, i dont like them. I do use revolution from time to time because i have several cats that hate there ears messed with and of course they get ear mites , so revolution is alot less painful for me. I do believe in natural ways of killing bugs though.
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Live well, laugh often

I would skip it if it were me . My dogs and cats rarely have flea treatments and I don't have any problems. The occasional year when fleas have been a real problem in the environment I have given a single dose if I see any fleas. I would think your cats are a pretty low risk.
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone,I still have not made up my mind
I am taking Rocky to the vet on Monday,I have to make up my mind by then.
My cats are outside with us in the summer a lot,with other flea-ridden critters like the Squirrels,but maybe Squirrel-fleas don't like cats
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:58 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I'm battling this very issue myself. Flea meds, vaccinations so bad for them

However Chico your cats are indoors and out only in your backyard. Personally I'd check daily for any hitch-hikers which is easily detected over giving flea meds.
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

GG,I think that's what I will do,any freeloaders are easily detectable on Vinnie(white),but I am totally paranoid about fleas,isn't it too late though,to put Advantage on once the Fleas are there
A long time ago,both my dog and my then cats had fleas,my dog(Collie/ShepardX)got a terrible rash,it was awful and in those days there was only sprays and shampoos
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I hear ya chico.

Personally, I use advantage for the summer months. I never did with my cat TY until he got fleas once...it wasnt even a big infestion, just a few here/there. Treated it..then he got tapeworm..treated that. Then i didnt do preventative advantage the next yr and he got fleas again and tapeworm again. Fleas i can handle but the lil rice tapeworm segments stuck to the bum ugh.

So now I pretty much use advantage with my guys in the summer when i know theyll be out with me. I worry with Onnie too if i would spot fleas

I really dont know bout the toxic effects tho...

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM
chronically insane.

i use frontline on all my cats, ferals and fosters. it's cheaper then advantage and i feel it's more effective because it does ticks too. i think frontline is really safe as well. advantage is okay, but all it does is fleas.

i sat threw a presentation on frontline from a merial rep and asked a bunch of questions and overall i was satisfied with what he had to say. I like Merial but I do feel Bayer's vet medicine division is really good as well. So either or are fine with me.

Personally since I have so many cats all the time going threw my house I dose out my medications. I buy everything for large dogs and for an extra few bucks and just measure it out for each cat. sure that's going to freak everyone oue but for advantage buy the largest dog size and pull it out with a syringe and it's .4 for small cats .8 for large cats.. frontline plus large dog is .5 regular frontline i go by weight and do .1 for every two pounds (10 pounds would be .5).. i use the frontline spray as well which is very cheap.

stating the obvious but no flea collars (!!) NO HARTZ and just don't cheap out.. get a name brand flea and tick that's been on the market for a decent amount of time from a real pharmaceutical company not just dollar store brand.
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn and Onster,thank you..
Kathryn,I would never use flea-collars of any kind,much less any Hartz products
I understand your situation with several cats,but I only have 3 and I have used Advantage reluctantly for all their lives,usually only for July/August.
These 3 kitties I have now,have never had fleas,but I remember the time I had an infestation and it was awful.

Onster you make a valid point,so,I really don't know what to do,but I'll buy it on Monday when I take Rocky to the vet,even if I don't use it,I'll have it here.
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:20 AM
~Cat Servent~

I've always preferred the revolution when I have to use something (because of Fagan's allergy we have to be pretty careful, and we're not always in control, the last bout was most likely a neighbour dropping off their 'friends' in our entranceway) I find the cats don't get as agitated and it's really effective. I also started spraying my doorways and entrance mats with that siphotrol, as we are not currently treating the cats (we've been pest free for almost a whole year now-no doubt because said neighbour has not been inside the house much since then!). I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping that any pests that might find their way in, fall at the door and die there before they get to my babies!

I'm hoping I can get away with only using it when we move/ or someone has to stay at the vets. I'm like you, don't like using chemicals on them, but it is preferable to Fagan chewing his little belly raw.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I only use Revolution, don't know why, maybe because I know the cats don't react to it.

I only use it twice a year, once late spring and later in the summer, I do not do it monthly as recommended as I think that may be too much chemical.

My kitties seem to pick up fleas, then I have a tape worm problem, etc. etc.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

When Czari was outside I put Revolution on her. My vet told me of all the products out there she felt the most at ease with Revolution.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

You girls scare me talking of Tape-Worm etc...maybe I should get Revolution rather than Advantage,is it much more expensive??
Advantage is already quiet pricey..
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
~Cat Servent~

I pay about $60 for a box of 6, or $4 per dose if I bring the cats in.... (they give me a break and sometimes put the stock stuff in syringes so I can do it at home for the $4 per dose)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

My vote is to skip the chemical flea prophylactics. Check out the info at these links before you make up your mind, but I would especially be cautious about using any spot-on flea treatments on Rocky because of his hyperT. If you're worried about the cats bringing in fleas from outside, beneficial nematodes in the lawn should take care of that (they eat flea larvae). Regular combing with a flea comb and vacuuming are your best, least toxic weapons.

http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/health/f...k-control.html
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG106
http://www.eartheasy.com/article_nat...ea_control.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM

In the years you have been using the Advantage have you seen any fleas around the begining of "Flea Season"? If not I would think you'd be fine to not bother.

I personally would skip it. In the past 18 years I've only used flea products on Duffy twice - once when she was first brought home & I had to treat the fleas that came with her and once several years ago when I had a dog & the neighbours flea-invested dog came over to play & dropped a few little friends . Duffy had to be treated at that time because my dog had Flea Allergy Dermatitis.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

No,I have not seen ay fleas for at least 20 yrs and with these 3 kitties,I've only used it July/August every year and they HATE it..
I think I've decided to skip it this year..
I brush the cats regularly and do the water-paper towel test for any flea-poop,I get a little paranoid though if the cats are scratching
SCM,I'll look up Nematodes..thank's for the sites
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
chronically insane.

Oh and I do use revolution when I can for outside kitties. Revolution is very safe. It's just annoying that in the US you need a prescription.

There are essential oils you can use around your house that are supposed to help. We sell them where I work (the pet store) and I'm just more used to doing the topical stuff.
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
There are essential oils you can use around your house that are supposed to help. We sell them where I work (the pet store) and I'm just more used to doing the topical stuff.
Careful with essential oils. They're very toxic to cats, who's livers can't process them effectively. From one of my links above:

Quote:
Cat owners take special note: Cats should not be given any essential oils, period.

The use of essential oils with cats is a potentially volatile combination. Cats do not efficiently metabolize essential oils and their use can lead to symptoms of toxicity. In addition to essential oils, cats have known metabolic sensitivities to certain herbal preparations and allopathicmedications. Because the cat's body does not efficiently excrete essential oils, they can build up to toxic levels. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, dizziness, clumsiness, lack of appetite, lack of energy and shock. In addition, cats have very thin, delicate skin. Essential oils are absorbed rapidly into their skin and enter the bloodstream, overwhelming their systems. Cats dislike strong odors and generally keep away from strong scents -- even highly diluted essential oils.

Many people find that they can use essential oils on their cats with no obvious adverse effects. Although one or more applications of an essential oil product or blend may not cause immediate harm, the effects of essential oils can be cumulative and manifest themselves at a later date in the form of toxicity for which owners and vets often can find no attributable cause.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I'd skip it too chico.. the only time I used them was when we actually had fleas (little Alley brought them in because we got her from a rescue).. I haven't had a flea problem since - but we do keep them inside.. I know what you mean about being paranoid about them scratching - I get like that too

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)