Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM

Confused about Evo-phosphorus

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum-I have an 8 month old Shih-poo named Bailey. She was spayed 2 months ago and weighs 8 pounds. She is the joy of my life-so affectionate! Anyway, I have been trying to do as much internet research as I can about feeding her what I think is a quality food. I have had her on Innova puppy since we got her. She eats it but doesn't go nuts over it. I have thought about putting her on the evo but am a little worried about some discussion about phosphorus levels and kidney damage. At first I was a little worried about the high protein, but from all the latest I have read, it seems that a high quality protein is beneficial for dogs. Now I'm worried about kidney damage from phosphorus levels, I don't want to find out in a year or two that what I thought was good for her has hurt her. I like the ingredient list of the evo-lots of meats, no grains. It makes sense to me to have her on something with quality meats as the first ingredients on the list when comparing labels. Too many have a starch/grains high on the ingredient list. Can anyone explain why evo has more phosphorus then the others and if it is within safe limits? Has anyone had experience with kidney problems from being on evo? I have another question that may be more breed specific-Bailey has more of a ****zu coat-but it is very "flyaway" and I thought that being on innova would improve her coat-its almost like she has "damaged hair"! do you think that this could be attributed to her food? I have read many posts saying that their dogs coat improved once being on innova, and yet Bailey's looks like it is so dry. I know that shih-poos generally have a "puppy coat" that is replaced when they are older-not sure the age range-and maybe that this is just her puppy coat. This is a great forum, and I want to thank everyone for their input and educational imformation I have read so far! Picking a good food for our dogs is a lot harder than I ever expected!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM

Phosphorus

Phosphorus is more than likely in this case derived from the meal, which contains a certain amount of bone, and bone contains calcium, phosphorus etc.
The amount of phosphorus is not as important in the case of puppies or adults as it is in "senior" dogs. The amount of calcium to phosphorus can be any where from 2/1 to 1.2/1 in foods. This variability depends on whether is is puppy food (or all life stage) to large breed.
There is insufficient data regarding the safe upper limits in the NRC book, so if you are concerned, go to something lower in Phosphorus, as long as it is balanced with calcium (don't know of any that aren't)
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:51 AM

The calcium to phosphorus ratio is ok, but for large growing dogs, it's not recommended (but that's ok, since yours is little...).

For the coat, Evo probably won't help. I've had to switch my Jemma off Evo RM because her coat was getting too dry. For a better coat, it's better to give something fishy. So far my little girl is doing well on Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, which is more salmon based. Or if you're not comfortable with the high protein, you could go for other fishy foods, like California Natural's Sweet potato and Herring, or Solid Gold's Just a Wee Bit. DVP Natural balance also makes a sweet potato and fish one but it's a little too low in protein and fat to do the trick for a dry coat (IMO).

Or you could get a supplement. My doggies get Biologic Vet "Fats" supplement once in a while (only a half a squirt on their food twice a day, which is wayyy lower than the recommended dose).
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Senior Contributor

My comments on fish based food is here post number 33
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36173&page=2

I have a dog with no natural occuring body oils like for example labs and I am feeding EVO RM and she still has a fantastic coat despite having a lupus that is destructive to coat and skin, it is fatty acids and the ratio of omega 3 and 6 that is important they can be found in multiple sources not just fish

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Every dog is different I guess. Jemma had dandruff flakes 1cmx1cm falling off her whole body from the Evo RM.