Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products > Cat product reviews

Old August 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Thumbs up Feline Fresh Clumping Pine Litter.

This past week, we changed to Feline Fresh pine litter on the recommendation of the guys at our pet health store. We had been using clay clumping litter from Wal-Mart for many years. We have 7 cats who are pretty easy going and do not have big problems with the occasional change.

We started out by changing 2 of 6 boxes from clay to the new pine litter. What a major difference! The kids had no problems trying the new litter and began to use it immediately. We found that it gives off a fairly soft, but noticable scent of pine and very little if any dust. By comparison, the clay we used would produce a cloud of dust every time we topped the boxes.

We went for four days with the new pine, scooping daily before changing out the other four litter boxes to pine as well. It has now been a full week on the new litter. It is nothing short of amazing so far. There is no odor like there used to be with the old litter. Especially if you let it go for a day or two, all you smell is the soft scent of pine. Scooping is a breeze. The litter clumps as well or better than the old clay litter for both liquid and solids. The really odd thing is just how much difference there is in the weight. With the clay litter, it could be a chore to carry a bag of waste from six boxes. With the pine, the weight is easily 1/2 as much for the same amount.

I would highly recommend this especially if you have multiple kittys.

Bill
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I love this litter too! I recently started using it for the semi-feral momma kitty that I'm "fostering" . I started her on Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract (clay) to help get her going on the whole litter-box concept, and it worked great for that, but I really hate clay litters. I don't know how people put up with the dust and the smell and the cement caked to the bottom of the box and scoop ! So I slowly transitioned her to the pine and it's awesome, for all the reasons you mentioned.

My resident old timer kitty uses the Feline Fresh pine pellets mixed with Yesterday's News (he doesn't like clumping for some reason). That combo has worked great for us for years. Especially now that I've had to move his box into the kitchen ever since Cinnamon Girl took over the room it was in before. I had people over the other day and they actually asked me what the box was for, they didn't realize it was a litter box.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

My cat likes this litter also. It tracks a bit, but no complaints.
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Do you order it online or do some pet supply stores carry it? How much is it?

I use the Cosco litter right now but am worried once the cooler weather comes Ziggy's "bombs" are going to stink up the whole house when the windows aren't all open

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Do you order it online or do some pet supply stores carry it? How much is it?

I use the Cosco litter right now but am worried once the cooler weather comes Ziggy's "bombs" are going to stink up the whole house when the windows aren't all open
You can order it online - just try a google search on "Feline Fresh cat litter". It is also possible to get it from local pet stores. I imagine a few phone calls to shops in your area would not take a lot of time. We bought ours locally at Metro Pet Market here in Regina.

We paid $20 for a 17lb bag. One bag filled 2 large litter boxes.

Bill
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Global Pet Foods carries it.
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Pipercats,I have 3 cats and 2 huge litterboxes and it works fine.
I have tried several different litters,but never the pine.
With the clumping clay,I of course scoop twice/day and change the entire litter every 2 weeks.
How often do you change all of it and put in fresh.??
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Pipercats,I have 3 cats and 2 huge litterboxes and it works fine.
I have tried several different litters,but never the pine.
With the clumping clay,I of course scoop twice/day and change the entire litter every 2 weeks.
How often do you change all of it and put in fresh.??
Chico.
We have just starting using the litter as of Friday of last week so I cant speak to how often it needs to be completely changed. Maybe SCM or some of the others who have used it for a longer period can answer you better than I.

Bill
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Catlover2

Unless they've changed their formula, I found the pine pellets really tracked all over the last time I used it, which was some time ago. Is this the same thing or is this something new that clumps better? I also found the pine smell quite strong. Recently I tried Swheat Scoop, but had to go back to my usual clumping clay litter (with baking soda) as my girl liked it initiallly but then started refusing to cover up anything. She's fine on the clumping clay litter. My 2 cats share a covered litter tray, which they do so willingly, I scoop 2x/day, so never have litter stuck to bottom of tray, and pour in the litter slowly just off the bottom of the tray which eliminates raising "a cloud of dust". The addition of baking soda seems to cancel any cat odour with the litter, tho I do change litter completely every 6 wks. It's a little dustier than the pine or Swheat Scoop, but not overly--if you lift the clumps and poops slowly and don't stir the litter vigourously.
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Unless they've changed their formula, I found the pine pellets really tracked all over the last time I used it, which was some time ago. Is this the same thing or is this something new that clumps better? I also found the pine smell quite strong. Recently I tried Swheat Scoop, but had to go back to my usual clumping clay litter (with baking soda) as my girl liked it initiallly but then started refusing to cover up anything. She's fine on the clumping clay litter. My 2 cats share a covered litter tray, which they do so willingly, I scoop 2x/day, so never have litter stuck to bottom of tray, and pour in the litter slowly just off the bottom of the tray which eliminates raising "a cloud of dust". The addition of baking soda seems to cancel any cat odour with the litter, tho I do change litter completely every 6 wks. It's a little dustier than the pine or Swheat Scoop, but not overly--if you lift the clumps and poops slowly and don't stir the litter vigourously.
Catlover2 .. I believe there is a difference between the pine pellets and the clumping pine litter. The clumping pine is really quite fine grained. It does track, but less than what we experienced with clay litter. It is much easier to clean up with the vacum or broom when it does track. I have never used the pellets so I cant speak to the cleanup/tracking with it.

Hope this helps.
Bill