Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 7th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Car Trauma

Ok, here's the newest dilemma in our house!! Brick is absolutely freaked out about car rides. He was fine when we took him home from the vet when we first got him, fine in Tim's truck, fine for a few other short rides in the car, but today.....OMG, he flipped a gasket! I was taking him in the car to go for a walk around the lake, and he absolutely REFUSED to get in. I offered treats and stuff to encourage him in, he jumped up on me, tried to nip at me, until I finally coaxed him in with his ball!! Ayeyai yai!!!! LMAO...I probably was quite the site to my neighbours!! heheheh

When he is in the vehicle he stands up in the back seat and looks out the window, doesn't like sticking his head out like most dogs do, and is generally uneasy the whole trip. At one point he saw "something" outside and went berserk! Jumped in the front seat and back and back to the front again..which is totally unsafe. I guess I just answered one of my own questions....doggy seatbelts might be my answer eh??

Any other tricks or things we should try, besides short rides that are fun and exciting (not to the vet)?? Any opinions on doggy seatbelts? Or a divider maybe??
Attached Images

1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

When I first got my dog, she jumped eagerly into my car, to escape the abusive hell-hole she lived in. I stopped a number of times during the 8 hour ride home, for her to pee, etc. and each time she leaped into my car.

BUT,after I had her a few days, and wanted to take her out in the car, she didn't want to get in. I really think she was afraid I wouldn't bring her back.

What I started doing was taking her for VERY short rides, like around the block, then right back home again. I swear I could see the relief on her face when I opened the car door!

Dog who have been passed around a lot can freak out this way. Although my dog didn't misbehave in the car, it was upsetting to see her so miserable.

She still doesn't jump in eagerly, but I have no problem getting her in now.

For your dog, you need to go one inch at a time. I wouldn't even try and get him in the car for now. You've had him a very short time and he is probably insecure. He needs to get used to the routine of the household and feel secure before you start taking him places.

When you do start working with him again, get him in the car, with his toy or whatever, then just sit in the driveway til he calms down. Then take him out and go back in the house and praise a lot if he has been good. Repeat the next. Wait for him to calm down, praise and/or give treat. Get out. You want him to think that getting in the car is kinda boring.

Eventually you can turn the engine on....go for halfblock rides, etc.

This can take some time so don't try and do it in one day as that will stress him out completely.
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Remembered a post from awhile back

take a peekaboo here

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ght=in+the+car
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:10 AM
banned user

Only other suggestion is to crate the dog while in the car? By the way I just love that cinnamon color!
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the help girls!! I often wonder if Luba and LR are the same person....or just on the same wavelength!!! hehehheh

I am going to try the sitting in the car first, then short drives, and so on!! Crating him in the car would be about as successful as it was in the house...he hated it, and was totally traumatized by it, so I can't do that to him in the car.

After reading those posts from Adami, Brick isn't quite so bad after all!! But we will work on him slowly getting used to the car. He does have to go to the vet again in 3 weeks for his shots, so I guess we better get going on it!!

Thanks again!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You're soo funny
I think LR may be my long lost twin... I am Gemini