Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM
You can call me DOG!

Exclamation A gross question requiring a gross answer….

I normally do not come onto Pets during week days due to work routines however; I am desperately seeking advice or answers from anyone on my dilemma.

Yesterday, Mollie ate 300 dollars in cash. I taped the pieces I could find together last evening and took it to my bank this morning.

The bank exchanged 60.00 (3 twenties) but 220.00 is questionable. They’re going to send the remnants to the Bank of Canada in a couple of days to determine the face value but in the meantime, they have suggested I try to find the portions which contain the missing serial numbers and signatures.

My question (and this is probably going to sound unpleasant) but how long does it take for a dog to digest/eradicate foreign objects?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Mickey, my angel

Ah, I must say that Mollie does have expensive taste.

I did find this website which gives you instructions on how to recover money your dog ate:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5861904_reco...dog-eaten.html

Sounds like it could take days to get it all.

Good luck, and NO pictures, please.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

It took Nanook about 3 weeks to pass 3 socks and a rope chew toy =\
He passed 3 socks last week. We noticed about a month ago that he was trying to eat them, so we have since made sure he doesn't have access to them. We noticed he had chewed the tassels off his rope toy so we threw it away, but Sunday night he passes an ENTIRE rope chew toy, about 8-10 inches long. We have no idea how long it was in there, or where he got it (maybe daycare ) but we're sure for awhile because since passing everything, he has not had bad bloat, and he was bloated for a good month. DH calls him a little vending machine... just pull his tail and see what pops out! I'm really hoping it's all out now. He had x-rays and an ultrasound, none of which showed it

I hope you can "piece" this puzzle together!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:30 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

being paper she should pass it all through within 24hrs,,but also being paper she may actually digest some of it,,,ummmm if you go to a dollar store and buy a seive,,put the poop it the seive and run water over it,,poop goes through money peices don't.
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
being paper she should pass it all through within 24hrs,,but also being paper she may actually digest some of it,,,ummmm if you go to a dollar store and buy a seive,,put the poop it the seive and run water over it,,poop goes through money peices don't.
Great idea aslan!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hmmm sorry for this dilemma that sucks now but will provide you with funny stories for years.

If I had to bet, depending on how badly the money is chewed up some of it may be destroyed by stomach acids if the pices are small enough. If the pieces are larger they probably will pass within 12-24 hours....that's my guess.

The looking through the mess will be the fun part. I'd go to the dollar store and get a sieve, gloves and maybe a mask...but before that I'd go to the liquor store. Not a task I'd ever attempt sober.

Good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:42 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not a task I'd ever attempt sober.

Good luck.
you big wimp...
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'll live with that but if i ever hear of anyone that has a leaky septic tank, a blocked toilet or a constipated dog I'll send them to you.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:03 PM
-

Quote:
I'll live with that but if i ever hear of anyone that has a leaky septic tank, a blocked toilet or a constipated dog I'll send them to you.
wouldn't be the first time i've dealt with all of the above,,,and my pupper ate my diamond ring..hopefully you get most of your money back klm..
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hopelessly devoted 2 dogs

IMO you should contact your vet. It may be stuck inside and could cause serious difficulty for your dog.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Ma to Lyra and Loulou

It being paper, might or might not make it through the system intact but it will get through the system.

On that note, I had to pull a few inches of DH's t-shirt out of LouLou during our lunchtime walk. I couldn't figure out what was taking her so long to finish pooping and she couldn't figure it out either and the poor thing kept trying poop out this long rope of poo covered cotton. I finally got her to stay still for me to pull out the last remaining inches.

Of course, I can't find the t-shirt that she had ripped up and dined on.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

BIL's dog swallowed $500.00 and money clip. All came out within 24 hours intact. He hosed down the money and went to the bank to exchange. Made the comment that the money went through the 'ringer' and needed new money.

Good luck and hope you get the money back and the dog is ok.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm, I think this thread has been answered now, but I think it's time for me to go have a drink. I'm with Marko! So how do the bank tellers feel about you bringing them the money you find???
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Money is made out of cotton paper so it is pretty durable. If he didn't chew too much, you may be OK.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

O.K. KLM is this your money or perhaps some unsuspecting visitor

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

...and this is exactly why I tell my kids to wash their hands after they handled money...
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
I did find this website which gives you instructions on how to recover money your dog ate:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5861904_reco...dog-eaten.html

Good luck, and NO pictures, please.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WEB LINK Mikischo and I promise no after pictures.

Quote:
Did just that Aslan. Stopped at the dollar store, bought a seive and a 20 pairs of disposable gloves.

Quote:
The looking through the mess will be the fun part. I'd go to the dollar store and get a sieve, gloves and maybe a mask...but before that I'd go to the liquor store. Not a task I'd ever attempt sober.
Beer store was my second stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
O.K. KLM is this your money or perhaps some unsuspecting visitor
It was ours.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; October 5th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM
You can call me DOG!

Update

A lot of the money was found laying in Mollie's cage and my daughter gathered up what she could and put it in a baggie. These were the pieces I taped last night (prior to poop mikischo) and took to the bank this morning. There was 300.00 but I was only able to piece together 280.00 & a 20 was missing.

Name:  101_3126.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  86.3 KB

With everyones solid advice, I did my first gold dig with the seive and disposable gloves. I already had Gryphon's in 1 bag and Mollie's in another.

So far, none from Gryphon but, Mollie's well..... I found a large piece of a 100.00 bill serial number and the Queen's face from that missing 20.

Just taking a beer break right now and back out with the flashlight. I sure hope this never happens to anyone. It was so upsetting to see 300.00 disappear but we're keeping up hope that the Bank of Canada will accept the mutilated remains.

Old October 5th, 2010, 09:57 PM
You can call me DOG!

Found some more remnants of the missing twenty and I THINK the signature from the 100.00.

Cleaned all the pieces off in hot water then used needle nose pliers to place onto paper towels for drying. I should probably bring them to the bank in a plastic baggie marked contaminated?

I'm sorry but I'm trying to make light of this terrible situation and we can only hope for the best by thinking positive.

I guess at this point, I can chalk this entire experience up to Sit happens?

Old October 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
So far, none from Gryphon but, Mollie's well..... I found a large piece of a 100.00 bill serial number and the Queen's face from that missing 20.
That's one place the Queen never thought her face would be found in...
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:19 AM
-

klm,,if you get the money back and intact and all taped together nicely,,i personally would poor that hand sanitizer all over it,,let it dry,,,zip over to the bank and deposit it through the bank machine. The banks issue is ummm the process the money has been through so what they don't know.. the money would just be returned to the mint for replacement. I'm sure we've all gotten money in our change before that has been taped together. They just don't need to know the circumstances for its disrepair. For all they know a toddler got a hold of it.
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I can't help with recovering the money, but I'm dying of curiosity. How did she get ahold of the money in the first place? Given our dog's love of shredding any and all paper products I can easily see a fallen bill being grabbed and shredded, but how did she get more than one bill?
Hope you find enough pieces that the bank will replace the money.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok someone has to say it..Pretty Crappy exchange rate... lol I went throught the same thing with HRH Missie the poo. I just sent it to the mint and they replaced it.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieV View Post
That's one place the Queen never thought her face would be found in...
OMG---That's too funny Jennie!

Quote:
klm,,if you get the money back and intact and all taped together nicely,,i personally would poor that hand sanitizer all over it,,let it dry,,,zip over to the bank and deposit it through the bank machine. The banks issue is ummm the process the money has been through so what they don't know.. the money would just be returned to the mint for replacement. I'm sure we've all gotten money in our change before that has been taped together. They just don't need to know the circumstances for its disrepair. For all they know a toddler got a hold of it.
The bank already has the torn/taped notes and will be dropping by tomorrow with more pieces I found. They're in a little baggie labelled, Contaminated; Canine Feces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I can't help with recovering the money, but I'm dying of curiosity. How did she get ahold of the money in the first place?
The money was inside an envelope on the dining room table. I found the envelope today while treasure hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Ok someone has to say it..Pretty Crappy exchange rate... lol
Crappy is right Shaykeija!

Found more pieces tonight with serial numbers! The score is;
Gryphon 0, Mollie 5

I'm hoping that the bank will look at the missing serial numbers in the baggie and just replace the 220.00. They already exchanged 60 of it the other day. I just don't want to wait for some forensics to be performed and out of the cash for weeks.

Old October 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM

I cannot believe there was actually a website for this....

Good luck getting your money back from the bank!!
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM
chronically insane.

Wow, in Canada you can exchange money? I know that if this happened to me in the states I wouldn't have even bothered because there is no way in hell any banks around here would EVER help me out.

Good luck with your treasure hunt!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

So how are things coming out?
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
You can call me DOG!

Things came out just fine mastifflover.

Dropped the contaminated pieces to the bank Thursday and they're off to the Bank of Canada. The Teller & I compared the poopy pieces with the taped pieces and she felt confident that the Bank of Canada will honour the exchange.

Hopefully will know soon cause that three hundred bucks could sure come in handy right about now.

Old October 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

LOL Glad everything seems to have come out okay in the end

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."