Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 31st, 2005, 04:03 AM

papallions

does anyone have one? i want to get one eventually. it wont be anytime soon, but this is the one breed that i really would really love to have. does anyone have any stories about them or any advice. ( i guess not really advice, but whatever )
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:05 AM

i know i didnt spell it right
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:11 AM

Hello Heather,
well, in case it's not obvious by my handle, I have a papillon.

I think it's great that you like the breed. They are wonderful companions.

There are many things you should consider before deciding to get a papillon... such as, how much patience do you and your partner have? what kind of household do you have, example, kids, other dogs and cats? How much time are you willing to put into training - the dog and yourself? Are you willing to keep your pap forever? I mean, even if it eats every pair of shoes, underwear, all the cat poop in your litter box, barks like a fiend, sheds sheds sheds, if the dog becomes overly protective or overly sesitive, becomes vindictive towards you or rude to strangers and sometimes even family... There's more, I just don't have much time, I'm cooking a turkey dinner.

papillon's are an interesting breed. If you do decide to get one, go to a very reputable breeder,which will be easier for you because you are in the states and there are more options. Maybe even adopt a retired show dog. Reason for this being, the breed itself is already high-strung, and when low quality dogs and bad tempermented animals are bred, the incidence of an annoying hard to deal with dog are very high.

Having warned you fairly, I'll go on to tell you about the joys of the pap. They are always small enough to sit in your lap. They are always willing to get a loving pat or snuggle from you. They are beautiful. They are protective of the house, mine is protective of my kids, when they go to bed, and she protects them through the night, from what, I'm not quite sure yet, but she protects them from me anyway. They are small sturdy dogs, not many health problems, not genetically anyhow, there are of course rare occurences, like any other breed, but low incidences. They are extremely intelligent, which can lead to naughtiness, but if you have a high tolerence level, and can ignore it, with only a quick reprimand, that's usually enough to get them to stop. I trained her quite quickly, but because she's so smart, she feels like she can decide when she should listen. She repsonds wonderfully to positive reinforcement. She loves to go with us everywhere, not all are like this, the breeders dog prefers to stay in her room and wait for her to come home to going anywhere. They are very active, they love to play! And, because they are so small, you can always play with them in the house.

Well, just a short overview. There are many good websites on paps that you can check out. They are wonderful, so don't get scared by the first section, just know, they can be a challenge.

Last edited by papillonmama; December 31st, 2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:40 AM

do you have any other dogs or cats? i have two cats and a med/large size dog.
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:59 AM

I have two male cats two budgies three kids, the pap, and my hubby's pittie. She chases Slim the cat, but never bothers Biff, my other cat. She most defenitely wants to eat the birds, she stays out of the kids' way, but loves them, and she is afraid of Trigs. She's a scaredy-dog though. The breeders' got along well with her golden, and other two small dogs.
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:26 PM

thanks for the info. like i said it will be a while before i will be able to get another dog but this is what i really want. thanks again!