Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Need some Betta help and other fishies

So for Christmas I am getting my mom a Betta for her desk at work. I know Christmas is over but we haven't gotten together yet to celebrate. She's wanted one for a long time and her office area is quite large and she has pleanty of time to take care of it etc...and he will be in a safe place.

1-what would the ideal aquarium size be for a betta, is 5g good?

2-live plant or fake plant and if live what type and how do you keep the plant alive? I know nothing with rough edges etc...as they can injure thier fins.

3-feeding- what is the ideal food and there are a lot of different answers to this but how many time a day and what about Sat and Sun when she's not there? I have read not feeding for two days is a good thing....is this true. Now my dad goes in on sat or sun to clean so he could feed one meal on the week-end.

4-are there any other fish that could live happily with a betta in a 5g tank that would be ok on the week-ends?

I know my mom was thinking of something fancy to keep him in but I am going to get her to agree to a nice looking aquarium with heater and filter as the temp in her office is always changing. She'll want what is best so she will be fine with that.

Other than Betta's what are some other fish that do well in a 5g tank(providing there is no Betta in it). I was going to get the same thing for my brother for Christmas(he's 22) but don't know if he would prefer a different fish. Everyone in my family is a huge animal lover so I know they will be taken care of. My mom already know's of my plans so it's not one of those unplanned pet gifts which I think is wrong.

My parents had fish many, many years ago so they're not complete novices(I am) but they had 50+g tanks and I assume taking care of a 5g is different.