Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 7th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Slave to my dog

I am my dog's problem

Hi everyone...this is a tough one for me on a number of levels.
I have recently been diagnosed with a mental disorder, and I'm having to deal with it at home, because of course, you can bring things to the office. I'm scared, yet hopeful at my course of action...
My problem (the reason i'm bending your ears...) is that Cody has started acting very strange in the house...pacing, whining, extremely needy and skittish. I'm quite certain that it's a reaction to what i'm going through, but i don't know how to make it better for her when i'm trying to make it better for myself. My partner is amazing, and he's trying to keep her busy, playing, etc, but i think she's worried about me, and uncertain because i'm acting differently.
How can i help my girl get through this with me
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Rob n Cody, I am sorry that you are going through this. You are probably right that she is worried about you. Try to spend some time with her, so that she knows you are still there for her, still love her, and that she hasn't done anything wrong that has caused you to act differently. You need time to deal with this, but she can't understand that, and some play time and/or cuddle time with her might be good for you too! Everything will work out, and your lives will settle back down in time. It seems that your partner is supportive and helpfull, I am glad that you are not going through this alone.
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Since this is the internet and you are anynomous can i ask what kind of disorder
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:48 PM

I agree with H.P. I think you just have to reconnect with the doggy so she understands what is going on better.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
-

I also agree with HP and think that some interaction would do you both good.
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Slave to my dog

Hey Heidi...it's bipolar disorder. i'm glad it got sorted out...it explains a lot about my behaviours, but i guess it's a little scary to have a name put to it, and the medications are confusing. Doing as much research as i can.
BF says it also explains why my dog is so weird (he's joking, of course)
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with HP and Prin, just try spending time with her -- let her know she's loved. Dogs are very intuitive and they know when something is wrong. Since their owners are their whole world, they get freaked out when you're sick or going through tough times.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but the important thing to keep in mind is that now that you've been diagnosed, you can work on getting better. Good luck to you!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

as well as drug, are you aso seeing a counselor, psychologist, or therapist of somesort. the drug may take a while to adjust to and feel just as weird (but in a different way at times) i would alo recommend as much as you may not feel like it trying some cardiovascular exercise. it can help but take it easy do not blame your self. and you can get through this. and i agree with the others, just spend some time with pup and let him know hes loved. best of luck to you in this trying time, but just know that you can get through this, and you will find a way to cope
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM

I'm sympathetic with you on the bipolar disorder. I'm not bipolar, but do suffer from depression (it seems to be a family thing.) Get the meds worked out and try to regularly see a social worker to help work the haywire thoughts part of the disorder out and for a reality check. For my depression, a monthly or bimonthly hour with the MSW has been helpful.

As far as the dog is concerned, you know that dogs (cats, too, I understand) are truly creatures of routine--and deviation from the routine is disturbing to them. That said, you'll establish a new routine and things will get better.

For the meantime, I guess I'd do some calming sessions on the floor with the dog--quietly petting him (her) and talking quietly. It will make the dog feel reassured, and you'll feel better.

I don't know that much about the fine points of your disorder, but when I was having the most problems with depression, my temper seemed to be on a hair trigger. Gotta watch that--with your S-O and with the pets.
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:27 AM
-

Most dogs like routine (I say most because mine have certainly learned to adjust to walking and playing in the park at 3 a.m. when I can't sleep or have my own caase of the human "zoomies" !) . Make every effort to establish a regular routine that's just about you and her, whether it's always you who has the after dinner walk or playtime or cuddle time. Try to make it the same time every day. People dealing with mental health issues also benefit from fixed routines on a regular schedule and exercise is great therapy as it's both calming and energizing. Thank you for sharing your "break through" ~ it takes a lot of courage to admit it out loud but once done, as I'm sure you have already found many people in your circle of friends and aquaintances face similar challenges.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:13 PM

It ould be that the dog senses you aren't well and wants to help. I'm a type 1 diabetic, and my little dog will stay by my side if I'm having an insulin reaction and tends to be very stubborn if my blood sugars are too high. He's also sensitive to people who are sick with a fever, or people who have developmental issues.

Your dog might just need to know that you know there is an issue and that you are dealing with it and don't needs its help.
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Slave to my dog

Thanks everyone....had some quiet time wiith her this weekend, which I think helped both of us. So glad i found you guys
R