Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quincy

Well Sir Quincy has become extremely finicky about his food. I tempted him with steak this morning and he turned his royal nose up at it. So tomorrow morning Sir Quincy is going in for blood work to see if he is in renal failure. I seen something like this before in Shayker. The loss of appetite and increased water intake. Quincy drinks more water that the girls. Sigh I hope the hell it is not CRF or ARF. He is going in today to get his anal sacs cleaned. Stress stress stress. Praying for good blood results tomorrow. When Shayker was diagnosed with ARF at 10 months I was devastated. If anything like this were to happen to Quincy, I think my world would crash and burn around me.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my. Well consider major good vibes your way. You have been incredibly supportive of my situation and please know my thoughts are with you and Quincy. Even Peaches sends positive doggie vibes your way..

Please keep us updated on results.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

More for Quincy! And, of course, s for Mom!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Doggie Wench

for the blood tests.
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Live well, laugh often

Good luck with the tests .
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:49 AM

Good luck Sir Quincy

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

More for Quincy today. How long will you have to wait for results?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Took the blood samples this morning. Quincy was accommodating for the urine sample...He peed on the vets book case. So the vet used a syringe and sucked some up. $200 later and the results tomorrow.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Best of luck on getting normal results back.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Shaykeija, you and Quincy are in my thoughts. I have traveled this road as well and know how bad it is. And I know the panic I feel if another one of my beloved pets starts showing any symptoms. Hoping you get encouraging results.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending lots and lots of and for Quincy

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Hope all turns out ok.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So Quincy made a statement at the vet's, eh? Way to go, Sir Quincy!!!!

and for good results tomorrow!

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Quincy was accommodating for the urine sample...He peed on the vets book case.
Atta boy Quincy show her who's boss

for good results

Old August 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Well good and bad news. First the good news. Quincy's pee sample was normal. Now the not so good news. One of the urine enzymes in his blood culture came back a little higher than normal. So, Quincy is on a brown rice, boiled chicken, shredded carrot diet with 3 treats a day and 1/2 Flintstone kids vitamin for the next 3 weeks. When he gets tired of the rice I can switch him to whole wheat pasta. then we will re test his blood work. The vet was amazed that I picked up on Quincy not feeling too good. I guess just remembering what happened with Shayker just has made my hyper sensitive to their well beings? My friend calls me the dog whisperer, I say more like dog screamer. So I am not getting myself all tied up in knots (of course I am lying) until I get the next results. The vet called me last night and again this morning to clarify his food needs. Thanks for all the positive wishes.

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Which one was higher?

for the next test as well

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure Growler, my heart just about stopped and my mind went right to renal failure and tears. Will talk to the vet again tomorrow and see which one it was.

Last edited by Shaykeija; August 26th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Ask them for a copy of the results, I have copies of all Duffy's test results - it helps you to see what has changed & gives you the ability to better ask questions about the changes in the different levels.

Old August 26th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Shaykeija, take a deep breath...

It is good that the urine test came back looking good. I had my elderly dog at the vet's last week because he was drinking more and loss of appetite (and eating on one side of his mouth). Due to Tipper's death from kidney failure I was a basket case at the vet's. (I so understand what you are going through.) I took the urine sample in and the doctor drew blood. He came back to talk to me while the blood was being tested. He told me that it was encouraging that no protein was found in the urine. This can indicate kidney issues. A normal pee sample is good!

The kidney values that are a concern are the BUN and Creatinine. I do know that with the Creatinine "normal" is typically 1.8 and under. I don't recall the BUN value off-hand, but was told that it can fluctuate more.

It is very stressful. I know Quincy will appreciate the home-cooked diet. When we love our pets, we are very in-tune with their health much of the time. You picking up on Quincy's health changes is a testament to your love for him.

(Oh, and my old boy's problem was some bad teeth, which were removed yesterday. He is starting to eat again, and I feel like I can breath a little again.)
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks all for you messages. Quincy's Urea enzyme was the one that was slightly elevated. He said it was really mild and no protein was found in any of the tests. He seems to like the new food, he ate more than usual last night. He loves people food. So we play the wait game now.

Old August 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
The vet was amazed that I picked up on Quincy not feeling too good.
You're totally in tune with the dogs! That's a wonderful thing! It's because you are a hands-on caretaker and know your animals better than anyone else can because of it!

But no use in fretting till the next tests--just try to forget about it (yeah, I know...that ain't gonna happen...hazel is the same way! ) and think pawsitive thoughts! for all the new test results to be smack dab back in the normal range!!

Give Sir Quincy a big kissie from hazel and tell him to get better soon!

Old August 30th, 2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks all for you messages. Quincy's Urea enzyme was the one that was slightly elevated. He said it was really mild and no protein was found in any of the tests. He seems to like the new food, he ate more than usual last night. He loves people food. So we play the wait game now.
*Usually* when only the BUN aka Urea is raised it points towards dehydration, diet or less commonly gastro-intestinal bleeding. Urea is affected by diet because it is a byproduct of protein breakdown - however a low protein diet will not prevent kidney failure nor will it reduce it. Urea is also affected by stress.

Quote:
from http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis.h...ction_measures mainly a cat central site but alot of info is the same
BUN rises in CRF because the kidneys are no longer able to excrete it efficiently; but it can also rise for other reasons, such as dehydration, urethral obstruction (a blockage which prevents a cat from urinating, more common in male cats) or gastro-intestinal bleeding; it is also affected by both diet (since it is a by-product of the breakdown of protein) and stress

Old September 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

His enzyme was 14.7...

Old September 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Well Quincy is a fussy eater. He quit eating the whole wheat spaghetti and now has decided he like whole wheat rigatoni. He turned his royal nose up at free range turkey and organic chicken. But he still tries to steal the cat food.

Old September 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quincy! Stop tormenting your mom so!!

The cat food is like anything else that's forbidden--irresistible!