Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old July 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Rats...

Any rat parents here?

I have two (males) Bo and Luke.
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

welcome to the forum, i don't currently but i have owned a rat in the past. Mine was a male named socratise (socks for short)
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome.
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:06 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

So are you a new rat owner or have you owned any before. I love how they will go to where your scent is the strongest when they're loose.
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Rats are wonderful.We currently have two a dumbo and siamese.we've had hairless and hooded as well.I found the hairless the most highstrung and the dumbo is the most cuddly,she just wants to be cuddled up usually in the back of your neck.The hooded and siamese were more pick me up and cuddly me for a minute them I'm off to check everything out.They were and are all really great little pets.
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM

I am a first time Rat parent. I BEGGED hubby for 12 years, when he gave in, he is the most obsessed with them. He calls them his babies. I tease him now that they are not so scary anymore.

I sadly do not know what breed my rats are, to be perfectly honest I was not even aware all the different kinds.

Mine are cuddly and love a lot of attention. They have impressed me with how highly intelligent they are and with how gentle and sweet they are. They are amazing pets and I think I will ALWAYS have two rats.
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I had two brothers back when I was 16. I loved them, but after having them for a year I suddenly developed an allergy to them (and all small mammals, to be exact) and whenever I held them I'd be covered in a horrible rash :sad: Don't know what brought it on, but from then on I had to hold them sparingly, and they had to spend most of their time in their cage. Their names were Herman and Jimmy.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum

I had rats when I was a kids, hooded ones and they were the best pets, I was only ever allowed to have pets in cages (might explain why I have so many dogs, cats and a bunny now ) they are very smart and will keep you amused for hours....would love to see some pics
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Sadly we lost Luke a short while ago. He had pnemonia (sp?). My vet tried various meds and he hung on for over a month but one day lost his battle. He was determined and he really surprised my vet. His last month though was a wonderful one. He got spoiled rotten and got the best of everything. He was even being fed gouda and other expensive cheese.

My other rat is doing fantastic. I thought he would get depressed or be sadden but he is actually enjoying the extra attention. Now he is the spoiled one and is loving the extra time and attention.

I love rodents. I always have. I have had pets in cages since I was a child and I never had a preference. I do now. It will always be a rat. I am amazed at their intelligence. They are not even comparable to other rodents...they are unique. They are like having tiny dogs with above average iq's.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Sorry to hear about Luke little guy!
That's great that Bo is thriving even though Luke is gone.. when my Jimmy died (apparently from a brain tumor - rats are prone to get them apparently), Herman was never the same. :sad: He huddled in his cage and didn't play around like he used to. We lost him shortly after.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Oh my that's horrible.

I think part of it was I had them seperated from the time Luke got sick. I immediatly took him out of the same cage and put him in his own. I didn't know at the time it was contagious...so Bo had time to get "use" to it before luke was gone. Bo was sad for the first little bit but he seemed to get over it quickly. I expected he would be the same as your guy since they slept together and really seemed to enjoy each other.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

*Holds hands up*

I'm a hopeless rat owner. I have 10 ratties right now, all of them rescues/rehomes. 1 male, and 9 females. I recently lost two of my rats, my girl Ella passed away from a stroke, and my neutered male Pickles died extremely suddenly from unknown causes. I miss them both so much

Rats are awesome little pets, I've had them for about 5 years now I think. I've had about 10-14 rats at once for quite a while now. Each and every rat is so different and individual. Even with the six sisters I have currently, each one is very different!

My oldest rats are George and Sparrow, they currently live together in a flat bunny cage (I like to call it the retirement home!). They are both over 2 years old right now, and doing well.

Here they are snuggling together...

Old June 11th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Animals Are My Life <3

I currently am owned by 3 ratties Suri is the eldest at over 3 years old. She's a Himi Rex. Her twin sister, Sadie, passed away last week. Cinder and Chinook (NookNook) are the newest pair, both year old Siamese Satin girls. I've owned rats for the past 15 years, and will never be without! The photos are of Sadie, and the last group of babies we had, this was play time (out of cages), they were too cute to pass up a photo! The last pic is of a few of our mice, sorry couldn't not post it
Attached Images