Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM

dog with weepy eye

My little chiualla (long haired) weights 3 Lbs. This last week I've noticed her
left eye is weepy, There seems to be no pus it's just like liquid seeping from her
eye. She rubs it once in a while not often and I wipe it down with a damp cloth. Any ideas, should I take her to a vet.
Wendy:
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you managed to examine the eye carefully? It almost sounds as if he's got something in it, a small irritant, and is tearing up as a result. Either that or he has a virus, which should go away on its own. If you are worried, or he rubs it more frequently, I'd have the vet take a look. Viruses generally don't require treatment but any secondary infection (if the clear liquid becomes cloudy, or coloured) needs antibiotics.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I would have a vet look at it asap. Might just be something in the eye, but could also be an eye disorder - of the secondary variety. Primary you would already know - we had this happen - was fine one night, next morning weepy, so I wiped it dry, again weepy, etc. - and although it was Sun. my vet was open so I took my cat in - primary glaucoma - happens in an nanosecond. Secondary takes longer and you have better chances.
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Albert's mommy

I agree it is worth it to take the dog in to a vet..or if you can find one..an animal opthamologist. (yea i had no idea they existed!!).

my dog started with just a bloodshot eye, and now I'm almost $1000 in the hole with no clue with what's wrong, he's on all these eyedrops, and we are still trying to figure it out.

A lot of internal diseases can cause issues with the eye too. It's better to get him checked out. They have all the instruments and can check if it's a scratch, or something internal going on...I waited about a month, he started squinting and tearing and all of a sudden one day his whole eye was RED and swollen.

I'd hate to think we could've done something sooner>
we are running blood and urine tests for a million things..ticks, fungal diseases, cancer...it's the worst not knowing what's wrong.