Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:59 AM

Question Did you divide your puppy's crate?

I'm getting a beagle puppy and I bought a pet taxi to use as a crate to potty train him. I got it big enough that he can fit in it when he's grown. I have read that the crate should be divided the usable area is small enough that the puppy can't potty in one corner and sleep in another. The crate doesn't look that big to me, as beagles are not that big anyway.

Do you think it's necessary to divide the crate? If so, how? I know some of the wire crates come with a divider but we prefer the pet taxi. I asked at the pet supply shop yesterday but they didn't know.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

You should divide the crate until the little pup can prove that it won't soil the crate. You can use almost anything. Open up the pet taxi and fill it from the top. You can use old books (that you don't care if they get chewed or not), cardboard (it will be chewed!), or any other type of "filler". Just be sure that when (and I do mean "when") it gets chewed, that it's not something that can harm the dog. Items with lots of ink aren't the best.

Maybe the members here who've had a pup recently, will have handy tricks to let you in on.

Have fun with the puppy years! (ah, puppy breath!)

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

We did the same thing with Daisy, using a cardboard box. She chewed a hole through it, made a door, and had herself a little puppy condo! But yes, when you are still house breaking, you should divide the crate so she can't make one corner her washroom.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM

Ok, so I was thinking of just stuffing a box to the back of the crate, but I didn't know if it would hurt the puppy if he chewed it. It should be okay. When I was growing up we used a tall cardboard box as a crate. (We left the top open of course.) I don't have any old books that I don't want chewed. Dh would love it if I did have to throw some them away.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM

When my dog was a puppy I first stuffed a laundry basket in the back, which almost went to to the top but she managed squeeze over it and get stuck behind it. I don't suggest this! Luckily she was sleeping beside my bed and I heard her and took the basket out. So if you put a box in make sure she can't push it around or get stuck in between it and the sides.

I ended up sticking a piece of cardboard in and tying it to the cage with rope on all sides and this worked until she chewed a hole in it. She chewed a little bit more each night and I didn't even realize she could fit through it until it started to smell and I pulled back the cardboard and she had renovated herself a little toilet in the back!

If I did it again I would definitely get a cage with divider, would have saved a lot of hassle!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM

Cardboard will do nicely to divide a crate in half. Try to use a box, that way the little bugger can't push it out of the way!!! Chewing cardboard will be the lesser of the evils the little one will eat - trust me! Rocks, twigs, trees, leaves, anything they can get thier mouth on, basically. When puppy starts to chew something you don't like, give a chew toy instead and PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE!

We can't wait to see this little critter!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!