Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Loose Stool/Diarrhoa and signs of blood

My English Setter Oliver has allergies and now his conjuncivitis has cleared up, have been trying to deal with the allergies. He was on Science Diet Z/D for a long time and it worked.. then we moved him to something else.. and now after a year off that, we noticed he was scratching and put him back on it.

When I posted the other day, I was told how bad the z/d was.. so he has been on Kibbles 'n Bits Wholesome Medley..

Ingredients
Whole grain corn, poultry meal, soybean meal, beef fat*, brown rice, apples, peas, carrots, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), caramel color, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, blue 1, blue 2, rosemary extract.
* naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols.

Since this wasn't really working either.. not sure how long one should give a food to work and turn around the scratching you know.

We then put him on Evo Large Bites because it is grain free, so we thought this might be the perfect one. I found this list of ingriedients:
Innova EVO formula is based on ground chicken and turkey meat, bones, fat, cartilage and connective tissue. It includes whole, raw fruits and vegetables which contain health promoting phytochemicals and micronutrients. Low Carb, Hi-Protein and Grain Free.

Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Egg, Garlic, Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Dried Chicory Root, Taurine, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamins-Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

So to get to the issue, Oliver now had diarrhoa, and he had been in the house before we got home, and there were blood spots around, as well as in the stool itself.

Tonight we put him back on the Kiblles 'n Bites just in case it is the food.. I am really not sure what to do now..

I am thinking of giving him a bath, so I can clean up his rear end.. with the feathering it is a little dirty now.
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

First and foremost you should perhaps touch base with your vet especially since you have seen signs of blood. A bath probably wont kill him although some dont like it. Our vet also gave us penitan baby cream to relieve some of the discomfort our guy was going through with the runs...it helped sooth the bum..

Please dont continue with the Kibles N bits ....do you have any pumpkin? it has to be plain pumpkin..not pie filling. if you do give him some spooned on his food. It helps for both diarea and constipation. You need to allow time for his tummy and bowels to get used to the food and sometimes its not as fast as we hope for. Better choice of food !!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Definitely touch base with a vet, Gemma. You want to make sure you're dealing with a simple allergy and not with something like inflammatory bowel disease. When you go, you might want to bring in a stool sample--seems like this autumn produced a bumper crop of parasites He may have a touch of something that his body can't clear up on its own because of the allergies...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

The EVO is a very, very good food and after feeding your dog that Kibbles and bits (which has nothing in it that is very good for your dog), I imagine that your dog's system is going to have to do some adjusting. If you did not switch over very gradually, then gastrointestinal upset can occur.

I would take a stool sample to the vet to rule out parasites. Diarrhea, in and of itself, can cause some bleeding.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I know every one say Hill is crap food. But HRH Missy the poo had colitis. Bloody, loose poops, high fevers. I tried everything on the market for the first four years of her life. I put her on the ZD and have had no more problems. I agree that there a a lot of better foods out there, but sometimes, you just have to stay with what works. HRH Missie the Poo is healthy now and happy. Missie will be 8 this year.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Loose Stool/Diarrhoa and signs of Blood

Thanks everyone, I will call the vet and also see about getting a stool sample.

I think maybe the change to EVO was what started the loose bowels, but need to give it more time obviously.