Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM

Help Please.. Is this normal after vaccination?

Hi everyone,

I do realize that if anything worsens or gets too worrisome I am to take my cat to the vet.

My kittens went for their 2nd shots today, which I believe was the 1st of the feline leukemia shots.

They were both so stressed going to the vet - one rubbed her head so hard against the towel in her carrier that she rubbed off a patch of hair above her eye. The male cat did a similar thing above his nose.

They had a good ear cleaning, were given an ear treatment for mites, and each had their vaccine. As with the 1st vaccine, they were both very tired afterwards. Its been about 8 hours since the shot. I'm having trouble typing this as the male cat is up around the computer playing. The female is still exhausted. She is sleeping, doesn't really want much to do with her food - and the male cat has been trying to clean her ears and bum (never seen him do this before).

I am concerned with just how sleepy she is. Is there anything I should watch for? Do you think she just had a very stressful day? She's been sleeping the entire 8 hours, with small breaks when I disturb her to try and give her some food.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

I think it is pretty normal for some animals to have a reaction to the vaccines. I know that my friend's dog was barely able to move after her first vaccine. As long as your cat is still eating, drinking and using the litter box, I wouldn't be too worried. The other cat cleaning her isn't something to worry about I don't think, mine used to do that to each other all the time. I would just keep a close eye on her and see how she is by morning. If she doesn't perk up at all by then, I would probably give the vet a call.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:01 PM

I just cracked open a tin of fresh food and she perked up. Didn't actually get up to eat it, but happily ate when I brought it to her in bed.

Thanks for the quick reply I will watch her like a hawk.. she's certainly sleeping in my bed tonight
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM

It has only been a few months since MooBoots had his first rounds of vaccines and each round seemed to tire him out, it took as much as 24 hours before he was completely back to his old playful self. Our vet warned us that sleepiness was a possible side effect.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Hi, thank you for the reply.

I guess it just seems like a long time to be tired - especially since the male bounced back so fast. She slept for almost 16 hours straight. She is awake now, but lying down. Its good for me to know yours took about 24 hours.

I think what freaked me out the most was just how "out of it" she was.. she seemed like a totally different cat and also when I went to pick her up she would make a lot of noise as if she's in pain.

And then now she's got that missing patch of fur above her eye... my poor girl!
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, that is normal for about 24 hours after vaccines. Any longer than that or excessive swelling, vomiting you should take your cat back to the vet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Thanks so much. I am a bit more relaxed now she's sleeping again.. and now has some green discharge from her eye.. I have to drop a fecal off at my vets today anyways, so I will mention how she's doing.