Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM

SLEEP APNEA? Dog snorts when sniffing around and when sleeping

Hi there,
I obtained my black lab mix retriever when he was approximately 7 months old. He has over the past 5 years Ive had him, would snort uncontrollably. If we were at a park or if he was just sniffing around, ie. not doing strenous activity, he would start to snort. There have also been occasions, one last night, where he is sleeping and he does this. It is quite frightening for him, as well as me, last night it lasted for approximately 2 minutes. It is very loud, and he is unable to really breathe properly. At first I thought it perhaps was just a result of him inhaling dust, pollen, sort of an allergic reaction, however, when he does this at night, I think it could be sleep apnea? But they are the same types of gasping, snorting for air. As this does not occur daily, it does happen often, regardless of the season. Dont know if this is a factor, but he is on the diet lams food, blue bag, and Duke, is slightly overweight at 45 kg.
Thanks
Kim
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

This sounds like "reverse sneezing." My dog does it too, usually after excitement or exercise.

This is frightening for my dog, and for me too.

Since I can't hear your dog and can't be 100% sure it's the same thing, a vet check should be done first. Since this has been going on for over 4 years, have you ever asked about it?

If there is nothing wrong, and it IS reverse sneezing, here is what I do to stop it:

Firmly and slowly stroke the dog's throat to try and calm the spasms in the esophagus. Keep your dog calm and talk soothingly.

If that doesn't work, put your fingers over his nostrils to completely block air for 3 seconds. When you let go he should lick his lips and swallow, which often stops the spasms as well.

Repeat if necessary.