Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Yorgurt for Dogs

Hi Everyone I'm a junior here so if I'm not doing something right please let me know. I actually found this site by googling yorgurt/dogs. I couldn't believe the replies from people about why they give their dog yorgurt. I had always given them doggie paws but the reason I came on was because my one pug has allergies really bad. Poor thing I feel so bad for her. She seemed to be always scooting on her behind so I had the anals checked and she was fine. My vet told me she had a yeast infection down there. I guess I wasn't really drying her too well after a bath. They have lots of folds. But it's just her not the other one. Anyway I saw someone was giving their dog yorgurt for yeast ear infections so I thought this might help her too. I bought just plain yorgurt with the live cultures so tdy I gave her 1 tlb so we'll see how it goes. Has anyone had a dog that got yeast infections? I'm hoping this will help her itching period. She takes benedryl & prednisone daily and I hate giving her prednisone but it helps her. My vet said she is getting such a low dose it really won't bother her. Sorry to ramble I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Thanks
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Swift Tribe

*blinks* well i know it helps in prevention in yeast infections in girls and women????

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM
NOT a senior member

It was suggested to me by my vet to clean ears subject to yeast infections, use 1/2 apple cider vinegar with 1/2 warm water. I also know that apple cider vinegar is healthy to add to meals, as I do, so it may also be beneficial for the yeast problems closer to the other end of your doggy. Vet told me that yeast hates vinegar.... so you may want to check that out.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The only way to get healthy is to first get good nutritious foods into your dog. Avoid and stop all dog food and start to feed natural wholesome foods.
The prednisone if given long term is going to cause further problems including weakening of joints. Leads to breaks and tears of ligaments. Short term okay ...long term avoid if at all possible. The benadryl daily is going to effect the central nervous system.

Never ever stop the dog suddenly from the prednisone, this medication will if you get your dog off of NEED to be slowly slowly tapered. Or your dog will have horrible withdrawal reactions from it.

Feed the dog fresh food, because I can guarantee you the allergies are being triggered or aggrivated by store bought food. Avoid avoid avoid bathing your dog all the time. You are #1 aggrivating the skin with any chemical/fragrance/drying and #2 stripping the skin of oils.

Yogurt alone isn't going to solve this issue. AND if your vet hasn't already told you systemic steroids like prednisone commonly cause overproduction of yeast cells. So if your dog has yeast, blame it on the prednisone.

Boil some chicken and potatos and give that to your dog for a couple of weeks with NO other foods. Add a level teaspoon of olive oil to the potato and chicken once a day. Twice a day give two even tablespoons of organic yogurt. I would buy probiotics and mix 1/3 a capsul with the yogurt every day.

What did the vet do for the yeast infection? Did he give you any antifungals? Yogurt can help reestablish healthy bacteria but it's not going to kill yeast at all.
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Swift Tribe

yep, all of what Luba said and a few more tidbits- seriously look into a fresh food home made diet where you can control what your dog eats. not only is it insanely healthier for your dog but you can manipulate what your pooch is eating to find out what the irritant is.

as Luba said, start off with some chicken and either taters or rice. the chicken can be raw with the bones in them or cooked without bones but include the skin. they NEED fat in their diet. find a source of calcium though. either ground up egg shells(1tbs per lb) or some yogurt (although that wont be enough) or you can crush up half of a calcium pill (600mg) per.... someone help a girl out?? is it 300mg per lb of meat?? or 600mg per pound of meat?? i cant remember. you shoudl also be ok feeding eggs raw, the whole egg though. shell and all.

thats a very limited amount of food items that can make your dog sick. if she is still not feeling well, try changing her foods to lamb or duck... a meat thats NOT in your current food and also another starch, cut out the eggs and look for a different source of calcium.

every time i put my dog on commercial foods his butt explodes and his skin gets flakey and itchy.

-ashley

do it for 2 weeks?? i think? see if things dont clear up for you.

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Garden nut

All excellent advice.

I'm giving my dog a more natural diet and she's loving it and improving daily, both inside and out.

She would not take a whole egg (shell and all) until we at first gave her a cracked egg with no shell, then slightly crack a whole egg another day, and now she knows what eggs are when offered.

Check with your grocery stores. I didn't find much available until I began to complain and low and behold the next time I went in there, one of the employees came bounding up and said hey we got turkey necks. It's a start.

I'm just trying to convince them they will make more profit if they bring in more doggie friendly meaty bone items and organ meats, even though humans won't normally consume those parts. I was told at first they wouldn't do it because it's considered "waste."

Keep at it... you'll find a way.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper