Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 9th, 2011, 01:54 AM

Unhappy my dog is having an issue like a seizure but he is lucid

my dog wylie has never had any issues and for some reason his body looks like a seizure but he will try to do the commands i give him. he will try to walk twords me as i call him but his head is jerking from side to side twos spread all the way apart, and legs bouncing from side to side but he can wag when i talk to him. he didnt get into anything hes been on the couch all day with me. this has only happened 2 times befor this in the 5 years i have had him. his pupals are dialated (sorry cant spell) but he is not aggressive at all and he looks very sad. when it first starts it looks like he is having troubles breathing but he is breathing normal. he has a little faom come to his mouth but only about a quarter amount. he seems to start getting better after about 5 min of his body doing this and i take him out side the air seems to help. please help yes i plan on taking him into the vet i just want to know if anyone knows what this could be to make sure i ask the vet every possible question thanks.
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Alicia.

Since this is an infrequent thing, if you can get video of an episode for the vet it would be very helpful. It could still be a small seizure, even though Wylie is not unconscious or even unaware when it happens.

Have you noticed any pattern in the episodes? Anything that might have triggered it? How many times a day does Wylie eat, and did it happen long after his last meal?

Hard to tell what to ask the vet until you get some idea of what might be happening, but for sure ask what to do if there's a next time (for instance, he may want to see him right away since if it's something due to, say, low blood sugar, a quick blood test may show it if you get him there fast enough).

I hope the vet has some ideas about what's going on with Wylie--at least enough to set your mind at ease. Pls let us know what he says!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi aliciaedwardspe,

You need to make an appt. with your vet asap. It would be very helpful to your vet if you can video one of his episodes. How old is he? What breed is he? Dogs can have partial/focal seizures where the mind is still coherent, which is what it sounds like. The bigger question is why is he having them. There can be many, many reasons for seizures/neurological activity. It's worriesome in an older dog who is not prone to them. The typical things they check for are liver shunts, blood sugar, etc., although some breeds are more prone to epilepsy than others and it could be a late onset. In my boy, his epeilepsy was brought on by scarring of his brain caused by meningoencephalitis as a baby. Either way, he needs to be seen right away. Please let us know how he is doing

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, you beat me lol

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Unhappy

wylie is 5 years old and is a doberman/ malinois mix and this has only happened once last year and once 3 years ago and now this time. it was at midnight everytime it has happened and he knew it was going to happen cause each time he wouldnt go to bed and tried to get far away from everyone befor it happened. it starts off like he is scratching him self then goes to look like he is trying to suck air in with head up high and back straight (in sitting position). the he colapses back to a lay and his body is jerking and he is trying to force him self to get down but has many troubles doing it. he always tries to get out side when it starts happening (i not sure if the air helps him but i know he loves out side). his toes all pread apart and look as though they are broke and at this time as he is walking and body is twitching and bending his jaw is clenched shut. he will even try to do tricks when it is happening but cant seem to get his body to work with him. he even tried to give me a kiss once. these are not quick seizures when it happends it is usualy a good 5-7 min long i never know when it will happen and they are so long apart (years) as they eng he will be walking and his body is jumping less and less then goes back to normal and he will be fine again. its the strangest thing i have ever seen. i would also like to say i know quite alot about dogs but have never herd nor seen anything like this. last time i took him to the vet for it they found nothing wrong with him and said he was healthy and blood work came back fine. thats why this time i wanna try to figure out what it possibly could be befor bringing him in this time.
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

It definitely sounds like a seizure. There are 3 phases, the pre-ictal, ictal and post ictal. You have described all of them. When you say he seems to know before it happens, that is called a seizure aura
My boy is the same. His occur between 6:30-8:30 AM and 6:30-8:30 PM (he has only had 3 out of that normal time frame and were most likely brought on by stress). His eyes get huge, his ears pinned back and he tries to run and hide just before it happens (pre-ictal). But even before that he starts to pace/whine and is very anxious, sometimes for several hours prior to the seizure. His actual seizure lasts sometimes close to 5 minutes. But what you think may be the actual seizure lasting for 5-7 is most likely the entire process, not the actual "ictal" phase. And it's less likely that it would be a liver shunt if it has been happening for that long and so far in between each episode. Again, you should try to video one, although that may be tough being they are very infrequent
This link is very good at describing the different types of seizures and the phases, please take time to read it, it was very helpful to me.

http://www.dogseizures.net/

This is another website that exlplains in pretty good detail:

http://pets1st.com/articles/00085epilepsy.asp

Good luck with your boy

P.S. Dobies don't seem to be predisposed to epilepsy, but there are many posts from Dobie owners re: epilepsy in their dogs. Malinois, however, are predisposed to Epilepsy as a breed.

Old August 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM

it makes sense for it to be a seizure cause thats what it looks like to me but why is he compleatly lucid (even though his body looks like a major seizure) and why is he (as it seems)able to walk it of once he gets to his feet?thanks for all thee help by the way
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaedwardspe View Post
it makes sense for it to be a seizure cause thats what it looks like to me but why is he compleatly lucid (even though his body looks like a major seizure) and why is he (as it seems)able to walk it of once he gets to his feet?thanks for all thee help by the way

Not all seizures cause loss of consciousness. Grand Mals do, but petit mals or partial focal/focal seizures only affect certain nerve/muscle groups. The 2 links I posted will explain a lot of that and hopefully make it easier for you to determine if it is a seizure, and if so, what type

Old August 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Unhappy

that scares me if it is a seizures cause i had a 150lbs rottweiler that had seizures and he had one bad enough that he didnt know who i was and it had caused him to go temp blind and after that seizure he out of the blue attacked me. he caused me to have 200 stitches and almost killed me. idk how likely it is for that to happen so i cant comfort wylie when he is having it cause im afraid he will snap like that to (even though i realy dont beleive wylie would do that to me) it scares me.

Last edited by aliciaedwardspe; August 9th, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Hello Alicia,

no matter how short the seizure I really think that your dog should be seen by your trusted vet. seizure are one of the most common symptoms of food poisoning. You should also take note of the things that he is eating.
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM

My Heart Goes Out To You

I know how you feel, and it sounds like you have a good relationship with your vet, which is a HUGE help. We have had our Golden Retriever since April, and he is the first dog we have ever had who has such violent seizures. We could not have hung in there without the guidance of our vet. I pray that you can find answers and that your vet can help your doggie regain a much improved quality of life.