Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Dragonflies...

...come in gray...

Name:  CSC_2021.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  78.6 KB Name:  CSC_2030.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  75.2 KB
Name:  CSC_2031.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  75.7 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

...black...

Name:  CSC_2036.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  CSC_2037.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  68.2 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

...brown...

Name:  CSC_2044.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  CSC_2048.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  72.4 KB

...and even red.

Name:  CSC_2034.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  66.7 KB

Beautiful to look at!

Plus, they eat the blasted mosquitoes...

What more could you ask for in an insect?

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Plus, they eat the blasted mosquitoes...
What more could you ask for in an insect? [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
Just more of them!! I have not seen but maybe one or two this year.
Great pics!!!
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I haven't seen many, either... But suddenly our mosquito population soared and there the little darlin's were! Soaring in to the rescue!!! My ankles are eternally grateful to them!

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Look at those beautiful wings!! amazing how you got the light just right to bounce off..

I did not know they came in that many colors! WOW......

beautiful hazel..
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There are huge black-and-white ones, big Huey helicoptor-looking ones, and delicate blue ones, too, but I haven't been seeing any of those this year. Maybe next year

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I think one of the big Huey helicoptor-looking ones, dropped by here the other day. the thing was big!!, one of my neighbors said it was a dragonfly

beautiful wing span I must say..
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The first spring we were here, the black flies were just terrible--clouds of them!!! We couldn't go out side at all it was so bad!! The dogs would run out, pee, poop, then run back in!

Then one morning, I looked out the window and there were hundreds of Hueys hovering over the yard--it looked like D-Day! Et voila!! No more black flies!!!

It was amazing! And such a relief!

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The first spring we were here, the black flies were just terrible--clouds of them!!! We couldn't go out side at all it was so bad!! The dogs would run out, pee, poop, then run back in!

Then one morning, I looked out the window and there were hundreds of Hueys hovering over the yard--it looked like D-Day! Et voila!! No more black flies!!!

It was amazing! And such a relief!
yes that would be a relief, those bugger are wicked and mean I tell you
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful,Hazel!
We always have a few of them hovering over the pool,not so many this year though:sad:
One I really noticed,he was red,very pretty and the cats went nuts over him,but I did not let them catch him.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I doubt the cats could have caught him! They're very alert, cagey kinds of animals, those dragonflies! You should see them torment Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie. They hold still for a really long time, getting her hopes up, and just as she's getting ready to pounce, they flit off. Half the time I think she doesn't even see them go cuz they take off so fast...takes her another minute or so to realize she's no longer looking at anything!

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Great pictures Hazel! We have a huge population of them at the "lake" I'll try to get some pic's this weekend, anddddd their mating!!! what a sight to them 2 huey's on a fly by
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope you get some pics, patti! I looovvvve dragonflies 'specially those big ones!!!

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Oooh the red one is very cool!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh this is so kewl!

My bil & sil have a beautiful cottage nestled on a point that they've dubbed "dragonfly point." After they built the cottage, I painted them a glow-in-the-dark sign with their cottage number and 2 dragonflies. They have it hanging at the entrance lane to their cottage.

Did you know that if dragonflies get a speck of water on their wings, they can't fly?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I saw a kazillion of the red ones today, but that was the only one that let me get a pic For some reason, the red ones are more nervous than the others Maybe cuz they're brighter and more easily spotted?

They're very pretty, though.

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Did you know that if dragonflies get a speck of water on their wings, they can't fly?
Nope, I never knew that! So I guess that means they don't fly in the rain?

That sign sounds pretty cool! Glow-in-the-dark! That's !

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
You can call me DOG!

The cottage sign turned out really nice. After painting the dragonflies and the numbers of their cottage, I shellacked it with about 10 coats of varathane and it still glows in the dark.

When spending time at the cottage, we rescued many of them caught up in the bay of water. We just scooped them out of the water and placed them on the shoreline. By the following morning, they were gone.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:37 AM

Gorgeous dragonfly pics

Duffy actually caught a dragonfly several years ago I didn't know until she already had caught it under my dad's truck, she did drop it as soon as I told her to. I think there must've been something wrong with it anyways cuz even though there was only very minimal damage to one wing it didn't fly away after I rescued it & put it up high safe under the deck. It didn't last more than a couple days after that :sad: The strangest thing was it didn't move at all for a couple of days except to wave a leg at me when I went to check on it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel you are amazing with the pics you get. You challenging Rick C for amazing nature shots??? We were having dinner last night and I could hear this weird noise in the kitchen and the dogs were both looking around then I saw it "the dragon fly". I shut all the bedroom doors because I didn't want the darn thing in my room buzzing me all night. We just kept waving our arms at it and told the dogs to get it and the dogs started chasing it (although it was way high - no way they were going to get it). It flew out the kitchen door with both dogs barking in hot pursuit. They chased it clear down the driveway before Halo realized there was food on the table and she better get back to her post for begging (that's DH's fault).
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So did they eventually route the intruder out the door, DD?

growler, it sounds like your dragonfly was old...I've seen the same thing in the garden--one will sit on the same leaf day after day and finally I'll look closer and find out it's dead The mysterious world of dragonflies...go figure!

Old September 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes Hazel, they chased it out of the house and down the stairs into the driveway barking all the way. I was surprised it left the house that easily, I was worried it would refuse to leave.
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I was trying to figure out why it came in the house in the first place! I've never seen one under a roof. Not even in the garage! They like to feel the breeze ruffle their wings...