Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World > Pure Inspiration - Happy tails

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile Really great homeless dog owner

There is a youg woman who spends her days on a corner where I work. She is homeless and always has her dog with her. I almost never bring my wallet to work, because I always forget it there, and if I'm hungry or thirsty, I can get free food and drinks their anyways, so I have rarely given her any money. Yesterday I was at the pet store near where I work buying some tripe and some dog cookies for work (the tripe is for Layla, the cookies are for work... we give all the vsiiting doggies free cookies, but a non-dog owner bought the last batch, so they were crap, and I refused to give them to dogs, so I went and bought a big box of Wellness ones). Anyways, while I was there I decided to pick up a bag of Merrick's Wilderness Blend (I considered Wellness, but since not all dogs like to eat it, I didn't want to risk it, and I've never met a dog that didn't love Merrick) (it was just a 15 lb bag, so it won't last that long, but it's something right?) Anyways, I walked up to her with Layla and told her "this is for your dog, I know how expensive dog food can be and thought you could use some" she was floored and soo greatful. I walked off to go to work to pick up some coin to be changed for bills and then walked by her again on my way to my car. She stopped me, and thanked me again, a little worried, I asked her if the food was ok (knowing it was ok, but maybe her dog didn't like it... whatever) and she told me "oh my god, it's more than ok! I just bought this book about dog food, so that I can learn about the ingredients in dog food. I don't want to feed my dogs grocery store cr@p, I want him to be healthy. My dog eats before I do, and I want to make sure he's eating the best food I can get. This food you got me is great, there's no cr@p in it or anything, thank you so much!"

I thought it was so great that she was putting so much care into what her dogs eat. I noticed that the first thing she did when I gave her the food was look at the ingredients, so she's staying really informed. It just made me so happy
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Aww, Puppyluv that was so sweet of you. :love:

Lucky doggy to have somebody to look out for him though.

I've always wanted to do that, but I'm never in the right place at the right time. The best I did was give a homeless guy a bag of Northern Biscuits for his doggy.
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:01 PM
-

Aww, Puppyluv, you are an angel.

An kudos to the girl for caring about her dog so much.
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Senior Contributor

This is such a heartwarming story! I needed to hear something good today. Thank you so much for sharing! And you are an for what you did to help!!! Good for you!!! I need to be better about helping out like that as well. Thanks for sharing!!
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Honest Contributor

wooohooo for puppyluv! for her big heart and know-how!!

last summer a homeless girl also hung out on our street corner with her 5 yo male husky. i gave her a bag of eaglepack fish kibble as dakotah didn't like it, she said she was very grateful and her dog had been raised to eat anything because she never knew what she could afford, but that he went every year to the free vet clinic for the homeless for a checkup and vaccinations, he ate before she did, he was in good shape and very clean. i also gave her a couple bags of clothing, she didn't have very much... and spare change when i had some on me. i don't know what happened to her though since then

I'm wondering if this could be the same girl? wouldn't that be funny...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Queen

That was really nice of you. It seems like all the nice people are on the internet! I often feel irritated seeing the really wealthy people here pass the homeless people that are always in front of the grocery stores without even a glance. When you have that little something like a bag of dog food does make a difference, plus it wasn't a crappy discard, that really was awsome of you Hopefully that girl stays healthy too so she can keep caring for her doggy
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I think it was so sweet of you to give her something so thoughtful like that.

I met a homeless couple one bitter cold night in the middle of winter. They refused to go to a shelter because the shelter wouldn't take dogs and they refused ot give theirs up.

I'll bet this girl is sacrificing shelter for her doggie too !

I gave them $20 dollars and they were very grateful but I've never felt right about that night. I should have offered to keep their doggies for them until they could claim them. Then they and their pups would have been out of the cold. That's one of those "if I could turn back time" moments.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Queen

Wow all the comments here are giving me hope that some people really do care I don't know anyone personally who seems to understand or even give this stuff a second thought. Thank you everyone :love:
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Aww what a beautiful story. One day Puppyluv you get your tips stolen and the other day your giving to the homeless. It's no wonder your own by one

Last edited by Golden Girls; August 11th, 2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM
-

Ahhh puppyluv this is so cute! She must be so happy for her dog!