Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
chronically insane.

One of my stray cats is sick

So, I am fortunate enough that my colony outback is a fairly healthy bunch. Everyone is negative for FeLV and FIV from my random testings.

One of my girls outback has got herself a bit of a cold though. Can't say I'm not surprised... it got chilly out really fast. She doesn't have any gunk in her eyes, just a rainy nose and a case of the sniffles. She sits at my backdoor and looks in until I go and feed her, and lately when I've done out she's been wheezing a bit and snarffling. I'm confident it's just a URI, but what do I do? I think it would be cruel to leave her untreated.

She is the friendliest one, but is still semi-feral. I can pet her for a second, but she is very not trusting of humans. She was likely abused at some point. Plus, her tail is broken as if someone slammed it in a door many many years ago. It's a shame, she's a beautiful and sweet kitty.

So, what do I do? Is there anyway I can take her to the vet or to a shelter and get her an anti-biotic shot? There is just no reasonable way to give her any type of medication orally or on a daily basis. She doesn't always come everyday around either.

Plus, I'd rather treat her right now before she sneezes on one of the other kitties and gets EVERYONE sick

I've never had any of the semi-ferals or feral ones sick before, so I don't really know what you are supposed to do. My mom said it's fine to pay whatever to get her better (we love this kitty... she is like the queen outback)

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If it is viral, the only thing you can really do is supplement with l-lysine and quality canned food. If you notice that it is getting worse and the discharge is greenish, then I would say you may need to get some antibiotics into her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM
chronically insane.

I feed my strays California Natural chicken and brown rice canned and Chicken Soup adult cat formula dry. Who knows what they get from other people though

I'm out of lysine.. guess I'll have to get some. Is it okay to sprinkle in their water? That way everyone can get some without overdosing them or anything.

I feel so bad.. I love this little gal she's so cute but she's still semi-feral.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009