Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Unhappy Dog neck sore

Hi, This is my first time on this forum and I do hope that someone can help. I have a golden retriever and a bernese mountain dog. My Bernese lovingly licks my golden and now has caused a large sore on his neck. I have cleaned the sore with peroxide and dried it but the bernese keeps licking it making it worse. I have tried to separate them but they are great friends and want to be together. My golden doesn't seem to be in any pain but the sore is large and I am afraid will get infected.
I can't put a ecollar on since that is where the sore is and I have tried to put a bandana on his neck but my bernie pulls it off.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I've had one dog cause sores on the other from constant licking and truly the only way you're going to get it to heal is to stop the licking. If you can't directly supervise, keep them separated. They may want to be together, but if you don't break the cycle or irritation and moisture to the area you're going to have bigger problems.

Beyond that, keep the area clean (a mild soap and warm water should do), and dry. Watch for signs of infection like swelling, heat, redness and/or puss.

Oh, and one more thing, stop using peroxide. It's good for cleaning out wounds that may have dirt or what have you in it when it first happens, but after that it slows healing so you shouldn't continue using it.
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Um, shouldn't the collar go on the Bernese?
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Um, shouldn't the collar go on the Bernese?
The collars only really stop them from twisting around to lick themselves. Kailey could still pick up toys and play bite Chase while wearing hers.

I think you'll have to physically seperate the dogs to allow the sore to heal. I know it's hard...I just had to do that with my two b/c my female got spayed and had to rest for a while. It's tough, but it's for the best!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Unfortunately, the only way to stop it is to separate. These sores are sometimes called hot spots and are not very niceand can turn pretty nasty looking Please listen to Pitgrrl and keep the area clean and dry.

I know they love to play, but also the dog will always go back to this spot because it is smelly to them and they think it needs to be kept clean.

My friends had a male and female golden and when they were not there they had to keep them separated because the male was always licking the female.

Good luck

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.