Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

OH,they look bigger and chubby,but I suppose they are fluffing their feathers to stay warm and there is nothing to compare with in the pic.
Great pics though,now I got to check my bird-book
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, they were definitely fluffed against the cold! So was hazel!

I had another pic from further away that showed a goldfinch coming in to land in the flock--goldfinches might actually be just a smidge bigger in overall length than a redpoll. Regardless, all those little birds are just so cute I love watching them from the living room french door

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I also have lots of Robins
MAAACK - lots of Robins, soooooo, that's why I have none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Actually, they're smaller than house finches, chico. About the size of the siskins and goldfinches.

Wow, if you guys are already seeing robins and blackbirds, they must be passing through here, too. It always takes them a while to find us out here in the woods, though.
They're scared of madame Hazel
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're not the only ones scared o' madame hazel!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Chrismadame Hazel must be really scaryor maybe it's those 8 four-legged family-members
But I think she'll beat everyone when the Hummers are back,I don't get ANY
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Chrismadame Hazel must be really scaryor maybe it's those 8 four-legged family-members
But I think she'll beat everyone when the Hummers are back,I don't get ANY
The pack is not scary Chico, they are scared of madame Hazel too, everyone is

We get Hummingbirds, remember I posted a photo of one that I clipped off of a branch. Not anywhere near the amount that Hazel gets though.

Saw some Cowbirds this morning.....it's a sign
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

We have no cow-birds yet,but they'll come..
I love the singing of the Robins in the spring,we've been outside these past two days and singing Robins and sunshine is bliss
My Sparrows are rebuilding in my bird-houses,those little guys work so hard,we help them out by leaving stuff outside.
The Squirrels too are busy,picking up whatever they can find for their nests.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The geese are coming back now--lots of skeins overhead today already. Goose music.

Old March 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Skylar's Farm

This pic is from a couple of months ago....but I wanted to share it.
Hubby (Masta?) is a very good photographer....A Hairy Woodpecker and a Chickadee in flight.
Attached Images

Old March 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, cool!! The woodpecker looks coooollddd!!

Our hairy woodpeckers are pretty flighty--the downy woodpeckers let us get fairly close, the but the hairies always flush the minute they see us.

Old March 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Chickadee

Hey, I just found this thread and think its very interesting. I'm a birder and love looking at pictures taken by other birders. I haven't taken too many pictures since 2009 started but I will post a few of a chickadee that comes to the feeder.
Attached Images

Old May 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think you must've posted these during my late April computer crash, CarolynInPEI! I love chickadees Can't believe I missed these till now!

And Chris--I was just outside to take a pic of the dogs when I heard this little guy arrive at the feeder next to me. I thought of you....specially since you hound me unmercifully for pics of these guys

Name:  First hummer pic of the year 5-10-09.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  55.7 KB
He's a little blurry, but remember, he's been migrating and is feeling a little light-headed and in need of sustenance, so that explains his fuzziness

Old May 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Carolyn,love the Chickadees,so cuteI have 3 different feeders,with different seeds and love all my birds,just sitting in the backyard watching them,is better than a movie

Hazel,the Hummers are back at your house,sooo pretty.
What do you use to fill the feeder,do you make your own?
I've had a few Gold-Finches returning,together with all the others.

I just discovered we have a Cardinals nest in one of our cedars,Robins-nest in the Blue Spruce and of course Sparrows in the bird-houses,OMG I love spring
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I make my own, chico--1 part sugar to 3 parts water for the first couple of weeks, then 1 part sugar to 4 parts water for the rest of the summer. Generally, I boil up double batches. At the height of the migration in fall, I'll always have one batch on the burner, one cooling in the fridge and another in the fridge ready to use--and can barely keep up with the little guys!

Old May 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Hazel,I'll do that too.
I've heard if you put out the feeder early in the spring,they might come and stay,I would love to have some Hummers.
Sometimes I get the odd one in my flowers,they are just so very pretty
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I put feeders out for 18 years when we lived in Eau Claire. Saw just a couple of hummers that whole time--never at the feeders Moved here, saw one flit through the yard the first spring we were here, put out the feeder and ended up having to buy 3 more to keep up with the crowd More come every year

When I boil up the nectar, I keep it at a light rolling boil for 5 minutes. Seems to make it last longer--probably because it kills all the bacteria. 'course...after our 'regulars' all come back, the nectar doesn't last long enough to go bad...

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,I don't think I'll see more than the odd one,but even that will be nice.
You live out in the country,right?
We have houses all around us,maybe that's why we don't see too many Hummers..
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Smile Summer Tanager

Here is a picture of a Summer Tanager that was spotted at someone's feeder here on PEI. This is a rare sighting for PEI. It was great to see. A Lifer for me. It was at someone's feeder...about a half hour drive from my house. It's a beautiful bird!!
Attached Images

Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I think you must've posted these during my late April computer crash, CarolynInPEI! I love chickadees Can't believe I missed these till now!

I missed it too, my comp didn't crash....how did I miss it

And Chris--I was just outside to take a pic of the dogs when I heard this little guy arrive at the feeder next to me. I thought of you....specially since you hound me unmercifully for pics of these guys
If I didn't hound you, you would never get your butt in gear

Love the Tanager Carolyn, I have never seen one :sad:
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Remembering Lukka

Nice pic of the tanager
My friend and I are heading to Rondeau Park this coming weekend to see the Prothonotary Warblers. My sister saw some there three days ago, migration is in full swing at Pelee and area now.
Of course me being a woodpecker lover I will also have my ears and eyes open for the Red Bellied and Pileated.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Remembering Lukka

Chris21711, I love that avatar you use. No matter what kind of mood I am in, when I cruise this board and see your avatar it makes me feel happy.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris,I do too,it's soo cute
I really love ALL birds and my Crows are really my favorites next to the Robins.
Here they are,I think mama is laying on eggs and papa and one of last years babies bring her food.
They really let me know when they want food
The Black-Birds(Gracklers) and the Blue-Jays are really going after the Crows,so they don't raid their nest.
Attached Images

Old May 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Chris21711, I love that avatar you use. No matter what kind of mood I am in, when I cruise this board and see your avatar it makes me feel happy.
Lukka'sma and Chico.....why thankyou, thankyou very much said in my best Elvis voice I like him too, he is so cute.

Chico - They are just Grackles not Gracklers
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
-

I have some pics of a Pileated, but for some reason I can't attach them, I'll try again tomorrow
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Christhey sound like Gracklers or Cracklers to me
I like them too,especially their mating-rituals,every bird we have are putting on a great show for us,Pigeons are cooing and dancing,Morning-doves the same and we have a Robins-nest in the Blue Spruce,a Cardinals-nest in the Cedar-Hedge,I LOVE spring
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

aakkk, I just found this thread, I am a bird lover too, this past Sat I was at my Mom's and overhead came several hundred herons flying north, amazing, hopefully I will be able to get out and get some pictures to add to this thread. I love the Tanager what a beautiful color, I have not seen one before. pbp
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

We don't get the summer tanagers around here, but we get scarlet tanagers. We had at least 3 nesting pairs within earshot of the house last year I don't have a long enough lens to get a decent picture, though :sad:

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Smile

Ya, the tanager was a beauty. I probably won't get to see another around here again. It was nice to get the chance to see it. I would love to see a Scarlet Tanager!! We don't have them either, but every so often one lands here by mistake while migrating. I think there may have been one here last year.

On PEI there is a e-mail list for PEI Birders and every time someone sees any kind of bird, they report it and let everyone know. It's great. When ever there is an interesting bird around everyone knows about it and gets the chance to go find it.

I would love to see some pictures of the Pileated Woodpeckers, I have never seen one of them. We don't officially have them, but there seems to be more and more sightings of them on the Island.....I have yet to find one, but I will find one.

Also, Crows are my favorite bird as well.
Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Remembering Lukka

This was my night of birding tonight

Darn things fly away when you get with in a good range of them so hard to get a good pic, but here we go
Mr. RWBB

Mrs. RWBB not too happy with me walking in this marsh area. I didn't see their nest but both husband and wife were trying hard to get me out of there, I left quickly so they didn't get too disturbed.

both hubby and wife watching me

Eastern Bluebird with a yummy snack
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Remembering Lukka

Blue birds continued

some yellow for contrast

Orioles to finish off