Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Unhappy Does a Non Wheat Gluten Chunky/Sliced Wet Cat food exist?

For now i am using fancy feast, not the best i realize but all 3 of my ragdolls will eat it, prior to this recall disaster they had never had it before.

They do NOT like the pate style foods, i have tried many, many brands..

Beyond frustrated is an understatement. I did speak with some Fromms Reps at a recent show and they said they hoped by summer to offer their shredded cat food in Canada.

I tried pet valu's chicken stew, the ultra performatrin but only 1 would eat it, my girl even ran away she was that turned off by the scent.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated, TY.
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Castor and Pollux natural ultramix canned food at petco. It's a very good food and it's chunks and gravy style w/ NO wheat products whatsoever.
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM

merricks canned food has many flavours as well, most are a chunky style with gravy
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm in the same shoes as you Furryland. Have 1 cat that will only eat cut/gravy and not pate/loaves.

I contacted Fromm and they said to check with them in the summer, too.

Loopoo - I believe Merricks cuts are only for dogs

Heathr - I googled the Castor and Pollux ones. I live in SK (not sure where Furryland lives) and there are no Petco's here. Says the closest place for me to get them would be in Edmonton. While it is 6 hours away, I think I might be making a trip there soon.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM

actually i am currently feeding my cat merrick for cats... so they do have food for kitties, and knock wood she loves it. its natural, they won the low glycemic award, good for kitties that are a bit overweight or prone to diabetes, and its a low sodium, medium phosphorus food, decent for cats that that may have renal/kidney issues..

Ive been on a bit of a search this is a good one for her, but if you check the merrick site, they do have cat food available now.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it a cuts/gravy? I asked at the only store in my province that sells Merrick and they said they had none. Maybe they meant it wasn't available to them yet?

Old April 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM

its not cuts and gravy, more like chunks with gravy, not really a pate, but not quite cuts somewhere in between, just figured it may be worth a shot to try. I was worried as my cat only ever ate solid pate, this is looser, chunkier and she loves it thank goodness.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Ooh, my store is checking on them right now to see if they can special order them. Merrick does have a non pate kind for cats. Yeah!!!!!!!

The idiot at the store didn't want to make the call, though, and told me the cat will eventually eat what I put down. She has already lost weight and I feel badly. If I can find a cuts/gravy I'll do what I have to get it for her.

Old April 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Question Me too, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
I'm in the same shoes as you Furryland. Have 1 cat that will only eat cut/gravy and not pate/loaves.
Me too - Luna only liked the Nutro real cube-y chunks in gravy, which I watered down a bit as she so loved to drink the sauce... til the recall.

I'm not as lucky as loopoo: Luna only picked, reluctantly, at the Merrick 1/2 and 1/2 wet food (great description Loopoo!)

No petco where I am either for the castor or other...
Any other suggestions anyone?
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Ooh, my store is checking on them right now to see if they can special order them. Merrick does have a non pate kind for cats. Yeah!!!!!!!

The idiot at the store didn't want to make the call, though, and told me the cat will eventually eat what I put down. She has already lost weight and I feel badly. If I can find a cuts/gravy I'll do what I have to get it for her.

I wonder which flavors are non pate? i have tried the grammy pot pie, cowboy cookout, ocean breeze.. not one was interested.
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Me too - Luna only liked the Nutro real cube-y chunks in gravy, which I watered down a bit as she so loved to drink the sauce... til the recall.

I'm not as lucky as loopoo: Luna only picked, reluctantly, at the Merrick 1/2 and 1/2 wet food (great description Loopoo!)

No petco where I am either for the castor or other...
Any other suggestions anyone?
No petco near me either.. :sad: my cats were also eating the nutro/max wet foods but the pouch style.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM

sorry to hear that they didnt like that i was using the pot pie.. cats are so picky.. sigh

actually there is one called turkducken, and another called thanksgiving day that are even chunkier than the pot pie. If you go to their website you can see the pictures. I hope you both find a food that your kitties will eat that is a healthy one.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Dracko, which Merrick cat cans are chunky?

I told my dog food store guy to order some Fromms just in case he gets a cuts and gravy demand...
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Dracko, which Merrick cat cans are chunky?

I told my dog food store guy to order some Fromms just in case he gets a cuts and gravy demand...

This is the Turducken from Merrick for cats. There are other flavors. As someone said, they are more like chunks than cuts/gravy.

Prin, I can't get the Fromm cuts/gravy as they said they won't be available in Canada until the summer. Said the labels haven't been approved for sale.

Old April 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM

Really? I'll ask my guy tomorrow if he found out yet... Some dog food stores order it anyway and just stick on a french ingredients sticker themselves... I mean, he already has the pure gravy cans in the store...
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Well send me some then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM

lol But they're just teeny tins of gravy... No chunks... These: http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-cd-g.php

Oh, wait... Apparently there are teeny chunks...
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, if the store owner will mail them to me (I'd pay the shipping) I'd get him to send me some cases.

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopoo View Post
sorry to hear that they didnt like that i was using the pot pie.. cats are so picky.. sigh

actually there is one called turkducken, and another called thanksgiving day that are even chunkier than the pot pie. If you go to their website you can see the pictures. I hope you both find a food that your kitties will eat that is a healthy one.
Thanks. Well i'll see if the shop has those flavors
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Feline Lunch Lady

Merrick cat foods are kind of a loose pate - and there is definitely a sauce. Turduckin is Sunny's favorite. Salem gobbles it up too (but I think he'd eat anything....holy smokes...)

The other one Sunny (my picky eater) likes is Thanksgiving Dinner - it is a bit more "saucy" than the Turduckin. Sunny turns his nose up to all the other flavours - but Salem will eat them all.

There are little chunks of meat in Merrick's Turduckin and Thanksgiving Dinner. It's not a thick pate style. I guess it kind of resembles food that was put in the blender for a bit -- some chunks, some smooth, with a little sauce.

My guys LOVE it.

Now if I could only find them a decent dry kibble that they liked....
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryland View Post
I wonder which flavors are non pate? i have tried the grammy pot pie, cowboy cookout, ocean breeze.. not one was interested.
FURRYLAND, we're in the exact same boat!
I just wrote to Merrick to ask that very Q... will post when I get an answer! I think I'll try a turducken anyway and add a few tables spoons of water and loosely stir it to 'fake' more chunk/gravy consistancy. Have you tried that?

Luna didn't like the Grammys Pot Pie either. Cats... She want what looks like on this page, but with more gravy (dog food pictured sadly): http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/...p?c=15&s=21681

PRIN - I'd be interested too about what your store says about Fromm... seems some Fromm is available in ON, don't know what flavors...

DRACKO - Are you looking for this kind of food? http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c-c-chicken.php
If so, I'll ask at my local store too... if Prin and I can get it, your source may be wrong about the Canadian availability... maybe its just in ON and QC, but that doesn't justify the label answer you were given. Hmmm... now I want to know the answer!

Hope any of that helps! ~Scary
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
FURRYLAND, we're in the exact same boat!
I just wrote to Merrick to ask that very Q... will post when I get an answer! I think I'll try a turducken anyway and add a few tables spoons of water and loosely stir it to 'fake' more chunk/gravy consistancy. Have you tried that?

Luna didn't like the Grammys Pot Pie either. Cats... She want what looks like on this page, but with more gravy (dog food pictured sadly): http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/...p?c=15&s=21681

PRIN - I'd be interested too about what your store says about Fromm... seems some Fromm is available in ON, don't know what flavors...

DRACKO - Are you looking for this kind of food? http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c-c-chicken.php
If so, I'll ask at my local store too... if Prin and I can get it, your source may be wrong about the Canadian availability... maybe its just in ON and QC, but that doesn't justify the label answer you were given. Hmmm... now I want to know the answer!

Hope any of that helps! ~Scary
Going to see if i can pick up some of the merrick flavors suggested tonight.

The Fromms shredded, i asked a Rep at a recent pet show, she stated they should be here{ont, Can} by summer.
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Well, if the store owner will mail them to me (I'd pay the shipping) I'd get him to send me some cases.
Want me to call him or do you want to call him directly? I vaguely remember him saying he gets it from Ontario, so maybe he can tell you who his distributer is.
Nutriville
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Talking Mini-update

Hi All... just wondering how the rest of you are doing on these similar quests - ???

Luna has denied eating 2 Merrick flavors (Grammy's and a seafood one) and also a Fancy Feast (thankfully... bi-products make me shudder). I have yet to try Merrick's Thanksgiving one but bought it yesterday for later this week... although we did have a breakthrough!

On a whim I thought I'd try her on a Nutro pate-kind: Turkey and Giblets, a flavour she liked in the chunks/gravy tins (recalled).
I read carefully about it and its fine - no recall, no gluten... I was wary given Nutro's recent history, but the details are here: http://www.nutroproducts.com/maxcatcantg.asp

I guess she's been disappointed recently by other wet attempts, and because the flavour was familiar despite the pate texture she ATE it ALL! YAY!

Maybe your kitties will have the same experience??? Let me know. ~Scary

PS - No word from my email to Merrick yet.

Last edited by Scary; April 16th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Hi All... just wondering how the rest of you are doing on these similar quests - ???

Luna has denied eating 2 Merrick flavors (Grammy's and a seafood one) and also a Fancy Feast (thankfully... bi-products make me shudder). I have yet to try Merrick's Thanksgiving one but bought it yesterday for later this week... although we did have a breakthrough!

On a whim I thought I'd try her on a Nutro pate-kind: Turkey and Giblets, a flavour she liked in the chunks/gravy tins (recalled).
I read carefully about it and its fine - no recall, no gluten... I was wary given Nutro's recent history, but the details are here: http://www.nutroproducts.com/maxcatcantg.asp

I guess she's been disappointed recently by other wet attempts, and because the flavour was familiar despite the pate texture she ATE it ALL! YAY!

Maybe your kitties will have the same experience??? Let me know. ~Scary
I'm glad you've found something she'd eat!

Me? i have a bag full of various wet foods. I did try the merrick thanksgiving one, got nowhere with it. I did get a touch of success with solid gold tuna flakes? and a wysong chicken stew. Still have more to try but "the dolls" are not being very co-operative
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Honest Contributor

have you tried feeding real food? cooked cubed chicken meat, drained and de-salted canned tuna or sardines or mackeral? shredded cooked beef, lamb, pork, turkey, etc?... boiled eggs?... just curious.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Yeah, there's techno, aaaallllways with the real food. tsk.

A crockpot would be awesome in this situation, I would think...
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
have you tried feeding real food? cooked cubed chicken meat...
Ah Technodoll... I appreciate the thought, but it assumes I can cook. As I said elsewhere, I don't even cook for ME! Thankfully my cat happily eats kibble daily, wet food is just a weekly treat.

Furryland - good luck! With a bag of tins I hope you find something... consider trying the Nutro pate, it might a familiar scent/flavor for your kitties, like for Luna.

At Rens's I was told the Mother Hubbard was one of the 'good' brands... yeah, with bi-products as the first ingredient... no thanks. Fancy Feast looked better!
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Honest Contributor

he he! i am the cheerleader for natural rearing! I did convince my mom to switch her new kitten from medi-cal to a better food, gave her a list and a holistic petshop in her neighborhood to go visit, she's going this week. and she's adding cooked organic meats to the kibble, wooo!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
have you tried feeding real food? cooked cubed chicken meat, drained and de-salted canned tuna or sardines or mackeral? shredded cooked beef, lamb, pork, turkey, etc?... boiled eggs?... just curious.
I have yes. They were unimpressed. But i continue trying all sorts of things, eventually i will find the right stuff, i hope lol.