Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:01 PM

What to do now??

We came home today and had this posted to our door!

I think that I speak for several tennants when I tell you that we are getting tired of listening to your dog bark hours at a time. I know that he is cute and that you got him at the SCPA, but he doesn`t seem to be the right type of dog for an apartment. he distrubes us all fequently and that is not fair to us. none of us want to go to the superintendant to complain but we will if this problem continues.
Sorry I don`t want to be mean. You are a nice couple and we like you, but your dog is making our home lives unpleasant.

This note was unsigned and we have went to neighbours to ask if the dog make too much noise, they said nothing. So we are sure what to do!

We are meeting with a dog trainer on Tuesday. Cashew has only been with us for 1 month. She is only home alone for 3 days a week at 3 hours at a time. We have used a collar to spray her when she barks but it doesn`t work!

What should i do? We love Cashew and don;t want to get ride of the dog! but we still need a place to live!

help!!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:42 PM

Thumbs up Solutions....

Hey there... I am sorry you are having so much trouble with your neighbours. I too have a puppy that likes to bark. I live on the 11th floor of an apartment building, and when we leave Thai alone... He likes to bark. We were worried about the neighbours complaining as well.

Although we have not tried the citronella spray collar, we have found some solutions that have worked for us.

We went to Petsmart and purchased a product, cant remember the name right now. But it works on the premises that when the dog barks, there is a high pitched frequency sound (that humans cannot hear) that startles the dog. It worked wonderful for Thai. When he barks, the machine activates,, and he stops immediately. We have been using it for 2 months now. And couldnt be happier.

When we go out we put Thai in his crate. This small electronic device just sits on the bed. Its a small device, about the size of a small alarm clock. And its been working. We used to hear Thai barking very loudly when we were in the hallway waiting for the elevator. Now we put him in his crate, he barks once.. and than nothing!! We have started to use it in the living room as well, because Thai likes to bark when he hears people in the hallway. And again it works wonderful.

I know you can also purchase the same device at Canadian Tire (cheaper than at Petsmart). I think it cost about 55.00, but its the best 55.00 we spent.

If I can think of the name, I will post it for you. Its worth a shot. Hope you find the right solution for you and Cashew. Good Luck.

Jennifer and Thai
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:09 PM

What about doggy daycare?
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Talk to the most gossipy neighbor that you have and tell them that you are aware of the problem and are working on it.

Until your training is working, you may want to check into doggy daycare or a dog walker. Is there an elderly person in your building that might want some four legged company when you are gone? If the dog has been out to take care of business, that might be a great option.