Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old July 1st, 2005, 12:21 PM

Wanted: Lapdog - Manitoba

Hi, everyone!
My husband and I are interested in providing a home to a small dog in need.
We are retired with no children in the home. Ideally, we are looking for any low-shedding small breed/mix that does not require excessive exercise.
We have tried the local Humane Society, pound as well as a regional dog rescue. Unfortunately, two don't have any small dogs available and the other still seems to be in organizational "baby shoes", but got us thisclose to a 3-year-old Maltese we would have enjoyed as a member of the family. Still hoping they will come through eventually, but not holding our breath.
If you are aware of any other place/organization looking for a home for a small dog, we would very much appreciate your advice. TIA
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM

When I think "lapdog" I think of any dog that will sit on your lap, not necessarily a small dog. My dog is 40lbs and he's a lapdog. Hehe.

Have you checked out Petfinders.com? There's also lots of small dog organizations in Canada. I don't know their URL's off by heart, but I'm sure someone else will be sure to direct you. Hope you find one.
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:28 PM

Have you checked out the Better Dog Network and Humane Society (http://www.bdnhumanesociety.com). They seem to have a number of small dogs there.
There's also Cause For Paws, Small Dogs Big Hearts Rescue (http://www.causeforpaws.cjb.net). They have four pages of small dogs up for adoption, I'm sure one's perfect for you!

Funds for Furry Friends (http://www.fundsfurfriends.com) has a Corgi X, a Peke/Pom X, and a Shih tzu X (special needs, looks like your home would be perfect for him).

Good luck in your search!
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:09 PM

Wanted: Lapdog i.e. Miniature breeds

LOL Levimh, I guess I should have expressed myself better.

Chocolatecoffee, we have visited all those sites, but since shedding is an issue for us, we are rather limited.

Thank you for your efforts and reply.
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM

Have you tried the one-year-old male Maltese at Second Chance Pet Rescue? I have a Maltese, and I've never found one hair from her lying around If you're willing to try to help the Shih tzu X overcome his fears, that would be a good choice also - I also have a Shih tzu X who doesn't shed at all either. Of course every dog is different, so it would be good to ask the rescue before you make a commitment, but my dad, who has fairly severe allergies to animals, hasn't had any problem with my two dogs.

Also, if you don't find anything around you, I'm sure transportation could be arranged. There's been a number of small dogs popping up in shelters around me (Calgary, AB), and I would be happy to help. There's a Shih tzu X in the Red Deer SPCA (www.reddeerspca.com) that has been there for quite some time as he has socialization issues, and I'm sure he'd love your home. He's on the website. As well, there are a number of small dogs in Brooks Animal Protection Society, including a Bichon Frise/Poodle and a Shih tzu (all listed on Petfinder).

ETA: There's also a Shih tzu/Lhasa Apso (Lhasa Apso shed their undercoat twice a year, but the rest of the time sheds very little if the dog receives good grooming care. This little guy is on Petfinder also.

Last edited by chocolatecoffee; July 1st, 2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

This Manitoba site was linked in another forum. Some small dogs listed here.

http://www.bdnhumanesociety.com/
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:49 AM

Thanks for your help!

Thanks, Coffee, I appreciate your offer!
We have seen Bandito and the shih tzu, but at this stage of our lives we are looking for a low maintenance pet. As much as we would like to help a special needs animal, we are just not up to it any more.
If you notice any new listing, even in the extended region (sometimes shelters for transportation) before we do, I'd very much appreciate a heads up.

Thanks, Lucky! We are in contact with the people at that site.
Old July 4th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Just thought I'd throw these in:

http://www.canadianyorkshireterrierrescue.com/
http://www.westierescuecanada.com/
http://www.wienerdogrescue.com/
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:35 PM

I was checking Petfinder and I found some that probably wouldn't show up in your search, as they're in the States and Petfinder goes across Canada first. In Minot, ND (about 3 1/2 hours SW of Brandon) there's a one-year-old housebroken male Dachshund and an adult housebroken male Westie X at Souris Valley Humane Society (www.humanesociety.minot.com).

In Bismarck, ND (about 5 1/2 hours south and slightly west of Brandon) there is a 3-year-old Poodle/Terrier X at Pet Connection Humane Society (www.petcon.org). Also, in Mandan, ND (right by Bismarck), there is a 4-year-old female Cockapoo X at Central Dakota Humane Society (www.cdhs.net).

That's all of the dogs I could find right now, but I'll let you know if I come across anymore. All of these dogs have pictures on the websites I gave (except for the two at Souris Valley Humane Society, but their pictures are on Petfinder), and they're all absolutely adorable!
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Small dog adoption

Levi and Chocolate, you two are obviously a lot better at research than I. Thank you so much! We will be calling North Dakota about the dogs tomorrow. Will keep you updated if or when anything happens.
Thanks again!
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Chocolate, thank you, thank you, thank you!

We have been approved to adopt Charlie Bob from the James River shelter, and will be picking him up next week. One of their staff will be bringing him to Minot and transfer him over to us.
We are looking forward to welcoming CB to our family and hope he'll like it here.

Thanks again, everyone for your very helpful advice and suggestions.
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM
banned user

congrats! remember to post pictures!
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Congratulations on your new addition! I'm sure he'll love your home and like Safyre said, everyone here loves pictures!
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Introducing Charlie-Bob

This is one of the pictures the shelter had on their site. It was obviously taken before they shaved his matted hair. He looks quite dejected.
Attached Images

Old July 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Talking Charlie-Bob's home!

Hi everyone!
We picked Charlie up in North Dakota on Friday. He is such a good boy! Great traveler, listens quite well and generally shadows his master step for step.
His little chompers are quite busy, but only on things that squeek. He has already destroyed 2 toys to get the squeeker out, including one labeled "virtually indestructible". Yeah, right!
Charlie also looooooooves baths. His first night here and dh found him sitting in the tub. Guess he figured it was time for another bath. The lady from the shelter had given him one the night before to spiff him all up for his new home. Yesterday, he decided it was time to force the issue and rolled in some dirt to assure his bath.LOL
Many thanks again to all of you for your help and support!
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Charlie-Bob

Trying to figure out how to post pics here.
Attached Images

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Charlie-Bob

This was the reason I kept my bandanas, I guess.LOL
Attached Images

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:30 PM

What a CUTIE! I'm so glad it all worked out!!! I can't believe he loves baths, my two will do ANYTHING to get out of the tub, but if they can't, they figure I should at least get wet too...it's only fair!

He looks very comfortable in his new home, there's such a difference between his picture from the shelter and the ones in his forever home. Congratulations again, and thank you for making such an effort to adopt instead of buy!
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

What a change in the pix - and a cute dog! I too am somewhat surprised re the baths. My Siamese likes baths more than my brother's lab (You can see her here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment....tid=9928&stc=1 ) I am glad to hear you found your puppy!!!