Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM

mental challenges

Hello everyone! My 5 month old lab x bella is a very quick learner... to quick I think. As a family we work with her every day she is very exercised physically. I am running out of metal stimulation for her. We do the hide the food around the living room, train to do tricks some times we do the kong thing but she seems bored with the kong. I was thinking clicker training next but I have never ever done that and have no idea where to start. Anyone have any fun things they do to keep their dog mentally stimulated? I get alot of weird looks when I walk her because I will just suddenly stop and get her to sit/laydown then walk a bit ahead and then tell her to come *still on her leash* half way down the block change direction. I just think it is better then a "normal" walk. She is in the middle of teething to so the last think I want is for her to be bored.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Doggie Wench

With clicker training, shaping, and targeting, there is no limit to what you can teach your pup . Before beginning though, it's important to understand how and why it works.

http://clickertraining.tv/product.html?item=FREE-01

http://www.clickertraining.com/dogtraining

It's possible to spend hours and hours on this site. I would recommend two books to start with: Reaching the Animal Mind and Getting Started: Clicker Training For Dogs both by Karen Pryor.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM

Wow very intresting. I didn't realize everything it could be used for. I don't show my dogs, but I guess it could be fun to train them for a pretend dog show!!! I am going to get the book and a clicker tomorrow. I think I might have more fun then my dog! Wonder if it works on kids....
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneater View Post
Wow very intresting. I didn't realize everything it could be used for. I don't show my dogs, but I guess it could be fun to train them for a pretend dog show!!!
The dog being trained for show in the short video was only an example...what's great about these types of training is that the sky's the limit. And lots of fun too.

Quote:
I am going to get the book and a clicker tomorrow.
I recommend you learn about it first and practice without your dog to begin. And hide the clicker from children and others who may pick it up and start clicking for the fun of it. Next thing you know, they'll have inadvertently taught your pup to chew door frames and all sorts of other naughty stuff . Seriously though, it should only be brought out and used once you know exactly what you're doing so as not to confuse your pup. The great thing about training with a clicker is that mistakes are easily forgiven and aren't a detriment to your relationship. Another word of caution though, please don't use corrections, ever, when you're training a new behavior or trick. A dog (or cat, or horse, etc) is allowed to make mistakes. They get to figure out what earns them a click and what doesn't.

Quote:
Wonder if it works on kids....
Bet you use this type of conditioning/training on your kids every day without consciously realizing it . Your child hands you over a picture he/she's drawn for you and you smile instantly and give him/her a hug and praise. Your smile is the "marker," the hug/praise is the reward. You've just reinforced that drawing you pictures is a wonderful thing and you can bet the behavior will be repeated (I know, I have boxes upon boxes of my kids drawings ).

As a matter of fact, clicker training and shaping is being used to teach children. Some pretty good examples can be seen here:

http://www.reachingtheanimalmind.com/chapter_11.html
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM

thanks for the great advice and excellent tips. and your right I do use this type of "training" with my children. Maybe I can find a personal trainer to help me out with a few lessons. The concept seems easy but I can see where it can go wrong and not be effective.