Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 25th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Annies 1st day of school!!

Annie had her 1st day of school yesterday!

Needless to say it was an interesting evening, just a big mess of dogs & owners!

I have to keep Annie tied to me at all times when I am at home , (Not doing this in the morning, no time) I guess this is supposed to teach her that what I say goes. Should be interesting as well. (Thank god this is only for a week!!)

This week we are just suppose to concentrate on making her obey 1st command, and getting her to sit, while I am beside her (instead of in front of her). And setting ground rules as to what is acceptable in our house.

Also by the end of the class 5 weeks from yesterday, we have to have taught our dogs a new trick. I was thinking of teaching Annie Shake a paw, any suggestions on the best way to do this?
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:47 AM

My husband trained Sophie to give paw, all he would do is hold up a treat and take her paw and shake it while saying "paw". She learned it after a couple times doing it this way. Now sometimes when I get a treat out of the bag she runs right over sits, gives paw then lays down without me even saying anything

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Sounds like you had a great time. Shake a paw, why not try HIGH FIVE...
but then again, Annie is a girl . May I ask....why do you have to keep her tied to you? My training, really I must admit, was not the nice type, but rather a pulling tugging type. The teacher kept harping at me that I was not stern enough, but hey, why be stern, she'll learn no matter what. What were the other puppies like, also how old is Annie....
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Sounds like you had fun!
Shake a paw is really a good first trick. It will give you and Annie confidence! Tethering her to you is an great idea as well. She can't learn bad things when you're right there. She'll learn you are alpha in your pack.

My dog gets so excited when a treat comes out that many times she will do all her tricks in a row. Jump, sit, bed, down, sleepy dog and roll over. I guess she figures if she just covers everything she'll do one of them right. (I don't treat her for doing this btw). Its quite funny to see though.
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Hahaha! Yup, once they learn tricks and know that treats are involved, they'll run through them in super-fast-foreward mode, hoping to save time and get the treat quicker! Of course, the last thing you should do at that point is give them the treat! When Phoebe starts running through her repetoire before I can get the commands out, I hide the treat in my fist, hold it to my chest and say, "no" in a soft tone. At this point, she realizes that she's not giving me what I want, so she stops, sits and stares at me, waiting for me to tell her what to do next. Then I make her go through her tricks in a different order than usual, sometimes asking for the same trick twice in a different sequence, sometimes not asking for a particular command at all. This really gets her thinking! You can see it in her eyes - and she absolutely loves it!

BTW, I used shihtzulover's method for teaching "shake a paw" and it really worked well! She got it in minutes.
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Debanneball,

Annie is about 6 1/2 months now. The trainer said to tether them to you for a couple reasons, first because it builds a strong bond between you and the dog. Secondly, as was mentioned it teaches her that I am Alpha, where I go and what I say goes, period. She has no choice in the matter.

As far as the other posts, Annie has already learned Sit and down, and already pops up and down from sit to down when she thiks a treat is coming. Silly girl. Totally ruled by her tummy!
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:12 PM

I love the idea of a tether to keep the pup in line. But (not to hyjack this thread) sometimes they have their own idea of what they want to do. Do you find Annie whining because she'd rather be doing something else? Mine is almost 7 months (wow...already!) and hates being indoors. So me keeping her close to me causes all sorts of noise to come from her mouth.
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Annie doesnt whine, except when I am giving her a belly rub and I stop and she wants more. Otherwise she does okay. I am a little worried about tethering her because she loves for us to throw her toys so she can chase them in the house. But I think I can still play and let her off lead for this so long as I control the game, by making her sit or down before I throw the toy, and if she wont give me the toy, then that is the end of the game.
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Bentley knows a "few" tricks. See if any of these would work for your dog:

Sneeze
Roll over
Sit up
Turn around
Jump through a hoola hoop
Speak
Shake
High five
Wave
Bow

A few of these are easy enough for your dog to learn fast and well, or if you want to impress everybody, you should try the hard ones.
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:30 PM

This may be a silly question, but I have been thinking about the whole tethering thing, and I am just wondering, when does Annie get to eat? Can I leave her off the tether for a while when I get home so she can have her food, or do I bring it to her when it is convenient for me to sit so she can eat?? If I am going to be attatched to my dog for a week, I may as well do it right!
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I was able to teach Annie "Shake" in about 5 minutes last night when I got home from work! It is so cute to see her do it because her legs are so short and tiny! When I am training her now, she just lifts her paw and keeps waving it, just in case I dont see it! Once again, I am amazed at how quick they learn! Its so funny how their brain seems to be connected directly to their stomach!!

As far as the tethering, it went well. I let her off for about 1/2 hour when I got home for eating/training, and then 1/2 hour again before bed, so she could play a bit. I can see how this shows that you are the boss! She tries to go up the stairs beore me and then the leash stops her so I have to go first.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:38 AM

JMO, I don't like tethering. I see no need for it at all. I have raised 2 of my Goldens from pups and have never had to do this. These dogs learn by repetition and praise.

You do not need to keep your dog tethered to you 24/7. The dog will need a break from you, especially to eat.

Funny way to train I think

The shake trick? I also have an opinion on this. Depending on the side of your dog, I would not teach this trick. I have 3 Girls that "paw" at us when wanting attention etc. The 2 that we raised from pups do not do it anymore and I never ask them to shake a paw. The 3rd Golden that we just adopted, paws me to death, almost literally!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:25 AM

It seems different to me too...

As far as shake a paw, Annie doesnt really paw for attention. If it starts to become a problem, that will be the end of that trick!