Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM
chronically insane.

How to kill a pine tree?? (will try anything)

Right so at my old house (next to my grandmoms) theres been a pine tree there and we were going to cut it down, but then due to private reasons we had to move out before then. Anyways the tree has been getting bigger and more obnoxious. Its HUGE. And it blocks the sun on our pool in grandmoms yard!! so its a pain in the butt. Anyone know any methods of murdering the tree so the new neighboors will HAVE to have it removed? Talking to them is not an option, its like 2 guy roomates that share the house and they don't even take care of their house let alone yard.

And of course has to be civilised. Maybe drilling a hole in the side and pouring in something, but nothing that could poision any animals or something.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Banding a tree is easy and effective.

You have to cut approx 3 inch wide strip in the bark all the way around the tree, (it looks like a ring around the tree)

Although I do not advise trespassing or vandalism, which you would be doing if you went on someone elses property do do this

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
-

I'm trying to find a polite way to tell you that THAT tree ~ just by being alive ~ is busy saving your planet, whereas our fossil-fuel consuming, noxious gas spewing, toxic chemical polluting ways are busy trying to kill the planet... and you are worried about a little shade on your pool ? ? ?:footinmouth: ? ?

trying... ... trying... Nope, I can't. Best I can say, is I'm surprized you call yourself a "veg".

Last edited by mummummum; July 29th, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:02 PM
chronically insane.

Hmm okay I read about putting small holes at the bottom and removing some of the bark to get it weaker so it might get an infection. It's right on the property line and like righttt there so its not really a big deal on tresspassing. The people never pay any mind anyways xD It just needs to stop blocking the sun >_< Plus it gets needles all in grandmoms yard and wrecks the grass and stuff.

Old July 29th, 2007, 06:22 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
I'm trying to find a polite way to tell you that THAT tree ~ just by being alive ~ is busy saving your planet, whereas our fossil-fuel consuming, noxious gas spewing, toxic chemical polluting ways are busy trying to kill the planet... and you are worried about a little shade on your pool ? ? ?:footinmouth: ? ?

trying... ... trying... Nope, I can't. Best I can say, is I'm surprized you call yourself a "veg".

so many forests are already suffering...
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
-

rrreeerrr M3X !

I would never kill a tree, not enough left on our planet. Why would you ? Shade is good in the summer Try to see the good sides of it.
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Kitty pimp

mummm!!! comn hon lighten up you know how many damn pine trees we got in south jersey?
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
mummm!!! comn hon lighten up you know how many damn pine trees we got in south jersey?
I live in Canada. We respect nature.
Old July 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
chronically insane.

Um, we live next to a forest O_O It doesn't make a difference if that one is gone, theres atleast 1,000 other ones within 100 feet of the pool anyways. it's only this one thats keeping the sun off the pool.

Why would you want shade blocking your pool yard? We use a solar cover to warm the pool up and if theres no sun on the pool, theres no heat. So if you would prefer me to have my family drive around looking for an artificial pool heater.....

Well no thanks.

I'd rather get rid of the annoying tree thats messy annoying and messed up already.

Unless you're computer is made out of bamboo, you run your house with solar/wind/water power and ride a bike every place you go you don't have room to sit there and preech at me like im some monster who drestroys nature and has no respect for anything. My mothers going to get rid of the tree one way or another...

Old July 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
cat slave

without trying to cause a fight, under the current global environmental situation, i think we should keep an open mind. Yes it is just A tree. ONE...but that's what we've always said. "oh it's just a forest, we got plenty" and another rainforest down, another clearing , and now look, it would've been better to have more but we can't undo what we've taken down.

Plus it's not on your property. They've made their choice to leave it, you should be ok with that and respect someone else's posession.I'd be just as upset if someone were to hurt my tree in my garden just as i would be if they hurt my cats. But that's just my cheerio
Old July 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM

How about getting someone to come & cut a few select branches off? That way you have sun & the planet survives.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

The tree isn't on your property, so you have no right to destroy it.

Cindy
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Here in Oakville I have to have a VERY good reason to chop down a tree,even on our own property I need a permit..
But the Town cut down dozens of huge Chestnut trees to add sidewalks on our street..a few years back,I cried,beeing such a wuss.
We have a huge Blue Spruce in out frontyard we trimmed the lower branches,to get sun for my flowers,also so I could walk under it..
Some very old Pine-trees though are dying a slow death and become really unsightly,although I love trees,I have no problems with hurrying the process and replacing it with a healthy new tree.

Last edited by chico2; July 30th, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
How about getting someone to come & cut a few select branches off? That way you have sun & the planet survives.
Excellent suggestion.
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
...would you want shade blocking your pool yard? ....Well no thanks.I'd rather get rid of the annoying tree thats messy annoying and messed up already.

Unless you're computer is made out of bamboo, you run your house with solar/wind/water power and ride a bike every place you go you don't have room to sit there and preech at me like im some monster who drestroys nature and has no respect for anything. My mothers going to get rid of the tree one way or another...
I do my best. And you aren't.
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:

You obviously don't have respect for other peoples property. Not the kind of neighbour I would want.

Cindy
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

What kind of pine is it? How tall? How old? Have you invited the neighbours for a swim so they will understand the problem?
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hmm okay I read about putting small holes at the bottom and removing some of the bark to get it weaker so it might get an infection. It's right on the property line and like righttt there so its not really a big deal on tresspassing. The people never pay any mind anyways xD It just needs to stop blocking the sun >_< Plus it gets needles all in grandmoms yard and wrecks the grass and stuff.
If you kill that tree without discussing it with them you're just creating an enemy . . . . . and there is nothing worse than an enemy who is your neighbour.

And they could sue you if it's their property.

Since you appear to have never talked with them it's a fairly bold assessment on your part that they don't care about their yard or what's in it.

And that's my sunny disposition talking!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

You also could be sued. A mature tree is worth thousands to replace. I agree with the trimming. Most laws state that is it is hanging over your fence you can trim. That would be the most logical thing to do.
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I just remembered this story from some years ago. In London Ont. there was a street with a HUGE old oak tree. Unfortunately a new person with no appreciation for it's age and history bought the property and applied to have it cut down. There was a hue and cry about the tree and the city declined permission though I believe the tree was on private property. Some municipalities have laws to protect trees. Anyway, the owner, thinking he was smarter than everyone else, "girdled" the tree, causing it's death. His mistake was assuming that once the tree was dead someone would have to take it down for him. Last I heard no one in the tree business will touch it for rear of reprisals to their business. What did happen afterward I don't recall hearing about, anyone know?
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM
~Cat Servent~

I could come and use my 'black thumbs' on it! I have managed to kill just about everything I planted this year....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

We had the same thing here in Oakville,they were going to widen Bronte road and put in a sidewalk,the problem was a beautiful very old oaktree would have to be cut down
Well,the citizens of Oakville collected $300,000 to pay to have the contractor go around the tree with their sidewalk,worked out beautifully..
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How is the pine tree doing? Any decisions. Just a thought, but that pine may be preventing skin cancer on those who are swimming in grandma's pool. Plus they provide food to many birds and bugs which birds rely on.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Why would anyone want to cut down a tree, especially a pine? I own a woodlot so it is an anathema for anyone to want to kil la tree. Even my dad - who made his living in the forestry sector - now agrees with me. (Wish he had before tho granted he does and did practice silviculture and replanting before it was in vogue)

if it is not your tree, I see no way to cut it down. It belongs to the neighbours and you would be breaking the law even if you tamper with it. If it is a problem, can you talk to them - maybe they will trim it?

My neighbour just cut down a few trees on his property but was building a a garage (They just won the lottery, lol) and even he felt badly about the trees. he made sure to find good use for the wood tho which is very expensive. You know it can cost up to $2000 in some places to cut down a tree -and for good reason. In New England and some areas here, you have to build sidewalks around trees and it is an offense as well it should be) to cut down a tree.

I get my dad to prune mine and I hire ppl to use tried and true silviculture techniques. If your neighbour's tree is causing probs (no leaves since it is a pine and not deciduous), maybe you can ask them to clean up the pine cones if that is the problem or whatever else may be. That is the only legal and ethical solution I see for you.

I leave you with one of my all time favourite poems.

Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918

Trees

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Kitty pimp

well the Op lives in a place in jersey called the pine barrens
lots and lots and lots of pine trees belive me one more or less isn't gonna be that awfull