Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Help! My dog won't eat!

I know I haven't posted in a while, but I need your help! My dog has stopped eating her kibble. I make that distinction "her kibble" because she'll eat just about anything else. (even dog "you know what" outside. only once. gross.) She is drinking a lot, peeing a WHOLE lot more, and has interest in anything but her food. She is pulling an all-out, "Ghandi-style" hunger strike. Meanwhile, she's lost about 10 pounds (the vet wanted her to gain an additional ten when we got her), and I am freaking out! All my friends that have had dogs before (She is my first dog. Go big or go home I say.) say it's not uncommon for dogs not to eat too much when it's warm out, or to go on "strike" for human food. We are in the middle of week three of "kibble lock out" and I don't know what to do. The vet recommended adding things to her food to make it more apetizing like ketchup (she just licks it off), or garlic powder (same) or wet food. She seems really interested in the wet food, though. Is it bad to feed a dog only wet food? I think there's something about gums and teeth if you only feed them wet food (which I guess is the same for us humans, eh?) but at this point, I am willing to give in just to make sure she eats something!!!! What can I do?

Helplessly devoted to dane!
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

If she'll eat wet food, give it to her! It's much more important for this dog to have the nutrition than to be concerned about her teeth and gums. When she's back at a healthy weight and condition, you can gradually make the switch back to dry.
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I think there's something about gums and teeth if you only feed them wet food
The wet food cannot scrape any tartar off the gums and teeth. Kibble can.

Maybe the food has gone bad? Could be a bit of mold in the bag? Wet food contains little if any nutrients, and you might end up with a Dane with diarrhea from just wet food.

Check out the food and make sure it is fine. Try chicken broth. So you don't waste an entire bowl of kibble, just put a handful of kibble in her bowl, add a couple tbsp of hot broth, let the kibble suck up the broth, give it to her when cooled. If she eats it, wonderful, if not try beef broth. If you give her any meat at all, make sure it if finely shredded ( just strands of meat) so hopefully she will have to eat a bit of kibble to get to the meat.

If you're in the middle of "week three of "kibble lock out" it's not the heat. Drinking alot of water and urinating even more is not healthy. It could be a sign of something else. If you can't get her to eat within a couple of days I'd ask the vet for a blood sample to be drawn and a blood count and a chemistry panel performed.

What brand of kibble do you feed her?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:51 PM

The drinking and peeing a lot warrants a trip to your vet to check her kidneys - drastic weight loss can also be a part of kidney disease. Need to check her pee to see if it is concentrating properly.
Hope that things work out!
Michelle
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:53 PM

thanks!

Wow! Didn't think I'd get replies so quickly! I feed her Medical mature and weight control formula. She thought it was candy before now. I just came back from the vet, and she gave me a sample of their dental care one, which is basically the same as their weight control one, and she ate a few bites are treats, but is now refusing to eat it. I haven't tried the chicken or beef broths, that's a good idea. I always fed her with warm water in her kibble so it wouldn't expand in her stomach (bloat scares me) but I haven't tried broth. They did say to call tomorrow and then do some bloodwork if it persists.

Thank you for all your input I really do value it

RuffNTumble
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Wet or dry food doesn't make much difference as far as teeth go. Some dogs, like some people, are more or less prone to having tartar buildup on their teeth. Most people use dry because feeding canned food exclusively to a dog this size would be very costly, but if that is no problem, go ahead.

The prolonged refusal to eat is what really needs to be looked at. Let us know what the results are from your vet!
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Sad update

As it turns out, my dear Laurel was in complete liver failure, and we had to have her euthanized last night. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. My fiance and I were crying to hours before, and many more hours after. her blood wasn't clotting anymore and her tummy was covered in bruises, she wasn't her usual self, thinner than she had been the day before. Any test we could have done would have taken too long, as we were quickly losing ground with every passing hour. I have lost pets before, but she was my first dog, and I will never forget her. I was with until the end, and she will be with me until my end.

thank you all for your input.

RuffNTumble
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry it turned out this way. It is so hard when we can't do anything to help them. You were there when Laurel needed you and you didn't let her down. Little consolation right now, but it's a biggie. You'll always have your memories of her. The love doesn't die.
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG!! I'm so very sorry!!
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Nooooooooooooooooooo!! OMG OMG OMG

oh dear I am so very very sorry I wasn't expecting to come in here and see this. Oh my!

A hug for you and prayers too.