Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 19th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up Den-Den's Follow-up Vet Visit

Den-Den had his vet visit this afternoon. His vet is very pleased with his progress. No inflammation and tolerating antibiotics and pain meds. Too soon to remove the tube, he'll do that on Thursday morning.

My mom and Corky went along for the ride and Corky got a pedicure too. He was sitting very complacently on his mama's lap while Den-Den was being examined on the table. Boy! Was he surprised when the vet swooped him up and took him in back for the nail clipping. He thought he was safe! They were both so good!
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

This was Den-Den and Corky together when Corky was just a baby. Corky was the aggressive one! Den-Den just kept dancing away from him.
Attached Images

Old July 19th, 2004, 09:26 PM

Great News!
Any thing happening with the neighbors?
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Not that I've seen. Pretty quiet over there. This afternoon I saw 4 dogs, think there was one that walked into the house, but not sure. I called Animal Control. I won't let up on this. I've talked to neighbors around them, just cautioning them to check their fences, etc. and what is going on. One said he heard it Thurs. and it was unlike anything he had ever heard before (the screaming - Den-Den & me). The neighbor across the street said his two small daughters saw 3 of them loose last week and had run into the house. They brought a card for Den-Den and a box of different flavor milkbones with a bow on it. The littlest girl (2yo) carried it. So cute!
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Glasslass,that's great news! Every time I see your Avatar with Den-Den I smile,it's so cute.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh you're neighbours gave him a get well present and card, that is just fantastic

Now, I am just delighted to hear the vet throught Den Den's recovery is going well. That is the very best of news!!

I'm proud of you for not letting go of this with animal control. What you may want to consider is drafting a letter to your local counsel person along with a COPY to the mayors office (let them both know eachothers got a copy), include a copy of the vets report and pictures of your yard and Denx2's injuries.

You'll start to see some action I GUARANTEE you!
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Good thought Luba. I'm thinking also of sending a commendation to AC for the officer handling it. He was so concerned and nice when I talked with him. In the same letter, I'll mention the problems when I called the tel# listed and the attitude of the dispatch operator. When I called this afternoon, I got the same operator and she was just as flippant as before. I figure it doesn't hurt to give credit where due, for all kinds of assistance. I plan to take in a large tin of Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookies to my vet's office when I go next Thursday. It's what I did when Den-Den had the HGE last year. Also a nice thank-you card with pictures of Den-Den (at his best; they've seen him when he hasn't been so pip-pip!) for them to put up on their bulletin board. His vet is wonderful! He's older and so concerned about his patients. I hope he doesn't retire anytime soon.
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh lass!! I am so glad to here that your Den-Den is doing better! That's very cute about the neightbour kids bringing him treats!! Congratulations to you for not letting those punks next door get away with this! They should be held accountable for their actions! Thumbs up to you!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:50 AM
Senior Contributor

He got the tube removed this morning! It looks awful right now because of the two open wounds, but they should heal pretty rapidly. When he removed the tube, I couldn't watch. I felt Den-Den give a little start and then the vet said he had it. What a relief. I was afraid it would hurt him. He's been so brave through all this. Never complained.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Im so glad to hear Den-Den is recovering well

Your Mom's dog corky looks so sweet is he as big as Den-Den now?

Mrs. Feilds cookies what a yummy gesture and very kind
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
banned user

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Like everyone else here, I'm thrilled that Den-Den is recovering so well. It sounds like you have a terrific vet, but I would expect someone like you to have chosen nothing less for your little one

You have terrible neighbors (the irresponsible dog-owners), and lovely neighbors, too! A get well card and treats- how thoughtful! Just goes to show you.....well, you know.

I am big on petitions. Would it be possible for you to get the other folks in your neighborhood to sign a petition demanding action be taken for the Irresponsible Dog Owners to contain their animals? This speaks volumes when you're turning anything in to the mayor, etc. It tells them that it's not just you who is concerned,....it's quite a few more voters that are concerned as well.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
I plan to take in a large tin of Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookies to my vet's office
OH ya!! My fav are the semi sweets yum!

WTG DenDen you're making mommie proud!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys!
Iggette, Corky will be 2yo in October. He weighs about 5 lb. Den-Den is about 14 lb. A toy and a miniature. Corky had his owies too when he was about 10 mos. He leaped out of my mom's arms (chair height) and broke his front leg. He doesn't even limp now. Den-Den was so upset when he heard Corky howl with pain. They're very close and play so gently together.
Petition is good idea! Thanks! Tomorrow would be a good time as maybe a lot of them will be home on a Saturday.
I would bake the cookies, but I know that if people don't really know someone personally, they are hesitant about eating homemade goodies.

This is Corky in his carseat with his leg in a cast.
He would ride laying down with his cast tucked comfortably inside. Mom uses a harness with him, but it was hard for her to put it on at that time
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ohhhhhhhhhhh how cute!! Thats a wonderful alternative!!

Any news about the a'holes?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

It has been very low key over there! My hubby wants to put a double fence up. The posts and crossbeams of the fence are sturdy. The dogs try to look between the fence boards at each other. If we put up boards on our side as well, it might block that view as well as being an extra layer of security. What do you think? My concern is that they have foxtails growing on their side of the fence. I am always doing a patrol on our side to be sure none are growing through the fence where Den-Den might get one. I won't be able to get at any that grow up between. Then again, I would only have to do what I'm doing now, making sure none are coming through.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

This morning, Den-Den's wounds look so much better! The holes are healing up nicely. Even the hair is starting to grow out noticeably. Here's an updated picture.
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH your sweet little Denx2 ((huggies))

Can these dogs 'jump' the fence?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I love that - DenX2!

They've never seemed to be trying to jump it. They've come over to the fence and looked through since the attack, but no aggressive barking or growling. I take Den-Den out and he's gone up to the fence, but I call him away and praise him for not barking and coming inside. He seems to be aware I want him to come in when the dogs are out. I just opened the doggie door again and am watching through the window to see how he handles it going out without me
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:35 PM

I'm so happy to see that picture of Den-den's wounds -- what a major improvement!!!! So glad that he's going to be okay! Sending hugs from me and Casey!!!!!